Super Star Virgo

little poppett

We have done it!

Booked the SSV from Hong Kong sailing on the 29th June 2008, 2 connecting balcony cabins. :D

After the initial disappointment of not being able to sail from Singapore, hubby casually remarked "Well, we haven't been to Hong Kong yet, have we?"....who am I to argue with him.....hehehe.

Cheers

Justine

Perth

(formerly doubletrouble)

Star need to consider seriously basing SS LIBRA in Aus from Summer 2008 otherwise they will miss the boat . The other lines are basing boats here all year round and booking them well, whilst Star are stuffing around with a seasonal deployment . Star need to to understand that Australia is part of Asia, Australians have been tremendous supporters of Star, and the cruise market potential here is exploding and Star are seriosly slow out of the blocks .

Star need to consider seriously basing SS LIBRA in Aus from Summer 2008 otherwise they will miss the boat . The other lines are basing boats here all year round and booking them well, whilst Star are stuffing around with a seasonal deployment . Star need to to understand that Australia is part of Asia, Australians have been tremendous supporters of Star, and the cruise market potential here is exploding and Star are seriosly slow out of the blocks .

I think you are preaching to the converted here - why not draft up a nice summary of your thoughts and suggestions and send it to Starcruises head office.

Judging from current and past load numbers, SSR should stay in Asia instead. There might be loads of caucasian on SSG every sailing BUT PKG embarkation alone can make up for that loss. What about the nearby countries Singapore and Thailand? These 3 countries can more effectively fill a ship than Australia alone. Plus with a shortage in capacity due to SC's ambition, Australia will not be high up on the list at least till 2009.

Just some figures for you: SSVirgo's 5-night SIN-PKL-PHU-LAN-PKL-SIN that happened on Oct 7

SIN embarkation is ~800, out of which ~236 are Australians

PKL embarkation is ~1376, out of which 90% are Malaysians.

Figures so far for NOV 18 cruise with similiar itinerary has about the same percentage. This is happening despite the location of PKL and lack of "huge" advertising expenses.

Thailand and Malaysia combined can be a huge and profitable market if SC takes the effort to do effective advertising and promotion IMO.

SSV what I am arguing is that Star should base a medium sized ship like SS LIBRA in Australia ASAP , not that they should base SS LIBRA in Aus instead of Asia.

Star need to get more capacity in Asia faster (and Australia is part of Asia !). So Star need to bring forward fast bringing a vessel (s) out of the NCL/NCLA fleet to provide extra capacity in Asia (both out of Singapore & Hong Kong and potentially Shanghai) so that SS LIBRA can be re-deployed to Australia.

IMO I would have deployed SS GEMINI to Australia instead of selling it ., then in a year or two replaced it with the larger SS LIBRA.

The cruise market is booming here with Cunard, P & O, Carnival and assorted others all in on the action full time other than STAR . Therefore my remarks STAR need to get in on the Aussie cruise boom or they will "miss the boat ."

Facts : NCLA has done nothing but bleed red ink recently and yet ties up the newest vessels.

There is a booming cruise market in Asia (including Aus) and there are distinct business opportunities in Asia for both short gambling cruises, and longer traditional holiday cruises .

So Star need to face up to NCLA fast wind it up, and re-deploy the newer vessels to Asia to invigorate their business, upgrade the fleet age, cash in on new markets like Shanghai and Australia and take the whole business to a new level .

kudalai = no offence but why are you so certain Australia will be profitable for SC, do you have numbers or is it based on your research/es or gut?

SC has no need to bring forward any new capacity from where they are more profitable - NCL. NCLA is a venture which needs time for it to grow, and SC obviously thinks it has got potential so ships from there are not possible either.

IMO and looking at numbers, capacity growth rate is more-or-less equal to load growth rate. If SC brings in more capacity at such a crucial time when profitability is important, wouldn't it reduce yield? Can you be certain basing capacity out of Laem Chabang/Phuket/PKG or even Australia will be profitable? I suggested those ports, but I cannot be sure there can be profit made.

Answer is, SC needs to consolidate their position now and with a new President, new plans are in place. They look at the larger picture with consideration for all division/subdivision, instead of just basing where there is demand.

If Australia is indeed extremely important and profitable which I feel your posts are hinting, SSG will be kept. But in this case, cost outweighs benefit.

It will be at least 2010 before SC has a ship homeported in the land down under (in my opinion).

Let's review what ships Star Cruises has received from NCL lately, and will in the near future.

Norwegian Sea was the first, as the Superstar Libra.

Norwegian Wind was the second, as the Superstar Aquarius.

Norwegian Dream NCL's schedule ends October 2008. It could be in Star Cruises fleet a month later.

Norwegian Majesty, in my opinion, could arrive in Star Cruises fleet in late 2009.

Star Cruises sold the SS Norway to breaker yards in Alang, India.

Star Cruises sold the Norwegian Crown to Fred Olsen last year, to be transfered in November/December 2007.

Star Cruises sold Orient's Lines Marco Polo to Swan Hellenic last June, to be transfered in March/April 2008.

Apparently, Star Cruises is dropping every ship smaller than 40,000 tons. Both the Crown and Marco Polo were smaller than 40,000 tons, as well as the recently sold Superstar Gemini.......

Apart of the Apollo 50% buy in into NCL deal, is Star Cruises significant committement to bankroll NCLA awhile longer. Once a predetermined, I wish I remembered the exact number, amount of finances is spent, the status of NCLA looks bleak. I've read between the two remaining POAs (Pride of America or Aloha), one will head to Star Cruises, and the other returning to NCL, if and when NCLA is broken up. I didn't hear which ship would go where.

The Aloha is appoximately the same size and age as the Superstar Virgo. The America entered service in 2005, and is slightly larger than the Superstar Virgo.

Neither ship is loaded with large number of Mini Suites, Suites, or Villas. The America has more than twice as many cabins with "balconies" than the Aloha.

America = 706; Aloha =257; Virgo = 392; Aquarius = 74

I'm personally leaning that the Aloha may be the choice heading for Star Cruises, although I'm sure Star would prefer to get the Norwegian Spirit (ex-Superstar Leo) back. Maybe a trade could be reached, where which ever one of the NCLA ships Star Cruises would get, and other compensations is added, for the Spirit (Leo) to return to Asia instead.

Of course, all this depends upon NCLA going belly up, which may or may not happen. Removing the Pride of Hawaii from the Hawaii market next January will almost halved the number of cabins NCLA has in that market. That might be enough to put NCLA back into the black.

Judging from current and past load numbers, SSR should stay in Asia instead. There might be loads of caucasian on SSG every sailing BUT PKG embarkation alone can make up for that loss. What about the nearby countries Singapore and Thailand? These 3 countries can more effectively fill a ship than Australia alone. Plus with a shortage in capacity due to SC's ambition, Australia will not be high up on the list at least till 2009.

Just some figures for you: SSVirgo's 5-night SIN-PKL-PHU-LAN-PKL-SIN that happened on Oct 7

SIN embarkation is ~800, out of which ~236 are Australians

PKL embarkation is ~1376, out of which 90% are Malaysians.

Figures so far for NOV 18 cruise with similiar itinerary has about the same percentage. This is happening despite the location of PKL and lack of "huge" advertising expenses.

Thailand and Malaysia combined can be a huge and profitable market if SC takes the effort to do effective advertising and promotion IMO.

Oh, don't use the Oct 7 cruise as an example and draw your conclusions from it.

It was a special chartered cruise by an insurance company in KL and they had more than 1000 of them on that cruise. You will note that the itenerary was alter to accomadte this large group.

Im just comparing percentage of nationalities onboard Oct 7 and Nov 18 and you'll see that even though there are no big groups on Nov 18 YET, the percentage of pax is around the same. Australians account for ~10% and they always book early, so we might see a reduce in % when the ship fills up.

Other SIN-PEN-PHU-SIN cruises, Australians account for ~15% only.

Numbers from SSV/SSR/SPC/MAR/MTA have shown that there are much more profitable port than Australia, where Gemini's season load is good but not excellent.

Also, I cannot remember seeing ~1000 pax from ING on SSV Oct 8 on the manifest. In my memory there is only ~450. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Hello,

This is my first time using this forum and I was wondering if I can get an advise. We will be going on a SSV cruise on March 2nd with a party of 10. I have read throughout this forum that Virgo has very good restaurants. Is it possible to make reservations in advance, since there are 10 of us? If yes, what restaurants are recommended?

Appreciate any help.

medcogirl = You can make reservation for ala-carte(pay) restaurants the minute you are onboard @ the Grand Piazza(deck 7 mid), there will be a desk specially for reservation purpose.

There is also a Gala Dinner on the last 3rd night(after Phuket) and that can only be reserved @ the Lido(deck 7 aft) at a certain time which will be stated on your Star Navigator, a leaflet with all the information you need.

Samurai(Japanese) is one of the most popular onboard with guest of all nationality, Noble House(Chinese) is also high up on the list. The Taj(Indian) has got buffet during meal times at a very affordable price so you might want to give it a try also. My personal favourite is Noble House.

Blue Lagoon is available 24/7, and you might want to try its Fish Head Beehoon for supper which IMO is very nice.

Hope you'll enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

Wondering if any recent Virgo cruisers can tell me the cost of the Kids Club on the Virgo? I've seen an old post from 2005 saying it's $4/child/hour, which will add up pretty quickly. We went on a Carnival Cruise out of Florida this year which had fabulous kids programs all inclusive. Also any comments on how your kids enjoyed the Virgo kids club would be helpful. We're thinking of doing the 5n cruises out of Hong Kong mid 2008. Thanks.

hi! we are booked on the ss virgo this december. my travel agent only gave me a one-page computer printout of a "confirmation statement". in my previous cruises in other cruiselines, i was given baggage tags, brochures, etc. inside a travel packet upon full payment. is this one-page confirmation statement and my passport all that i need to board ss virgo? i didn't get the fly-cruise package and my flights and hotel to singapore are non-refundable so i don't want any hitches.

also, what do you think of the hotel i chose: royal hotel on scotts?

i'd appreciate your advise guys! thanks!

tmbhl - Prices onboard SSV ex-Singapore and ex-HK will be different. It'll most likely be cheaper.

l-lawyer - the confirmation slip and passport(for all pax) is all that you need for check-in where you'll be given your room and "identity" card. Luggages are tagged at the collection area on the first floor of Harbourfront if you'll like the handlers to bring your bags onboard.

l-lawyer = Weather for PHU and PEN in December is always warm and nice on all my past trips there on Dec(past years). Around 30 Deg depending on the time of the day. Although the weather may not be as kind at sea, there is usually rain and strong wind.

Royal Plaza on Scotts, I've not stayed there before but its lobby looks very nice and the building don't look old, so it should be alright. BTW, Orchard Rd will just be a few steps away and there is a huge DFS next to your hotel so I don't think you'll see much of your hotel :D .

The location is great, the buses there go almost everywhere and the MRT is just 2-3 minutes away. Just prepare more Sing Dollars and plastics for your shopping THERAPY from all the shopping

furball = it is not necessary IMO if you plan to be there near closing time, when the lines are the shortest. If you're in Singapore early and prefer to skip the check-in lines and proceed directly to security, then the address is :

For Sunday sailings - check in can be done on Friday and Saturday

City Check-in location : No.9, Penang Road,

#11-08, Park Mall, Singapore 238459

Call the City Check-in hotline at (65) 6832 9847 for more information

Its a short 3min walk from Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station(Red and Purple line) to Park Mall.

Just an update:

Eloisa Diaz is back as CD on SSV, Colin is in Singapore now and will be back @ Port Klang. Ricky(from SSG) and Kevin(from PKG) is Cruise Activity Manager.

The Musicians of Bremen now features music played and sung by a live band.

Passion(Las-Vegas Styled Topless Show) is slightly altered, as good or even better than before.

Archived