Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Hi all,

My family and I have booked for the 28th of Sept 2008 on SSV for the 5 day cruise out from Hong Kong. We booked two balcony cabins and we requested connecting cabins. My travel agent has told me that she is having difficulty with the 'other end' and they don't quite understand what we want. I have also been told that the 'connecting cabins' are limited and there may not be any left.

We obviously still have a long time before the cruise but you would think that the connecting cabins are still on offer?

Is there a communication problem between Australia and Malaysia?

Are connecting cabins scarce?

Can any one tell me abou the ports of Sanya and Xiamen?

Cheers

Wizofoz

Hi wizofoz, I think it may be a communication problem. There are many connecting cabins available onboard Virgo.

Deck 11 has appx, 52 sets of connecting cabins

Deck 10 has appx, 44 sets

Deck 9 has appx, 66 sets.

Total, appx., 162 sets of connecting cabins.

I suggest you look at the deck plans and choose a set of connecting cabins that you would like. Example: 10578 and 10580 which connect. Then give these numbers to your TA and have her/him request these, or similar cabins.

Link to deck plans:

http://www.starcruises.com/Fleet/Virgo/deckplans.html

Mike

SSV, I thought you are the local expert.

The Gemini docks at the deep sea port.

Krabi is over-rated. Just a strip of beach with some hotels and shops. Gemini miss this stop most of the time because of weather.

Gemini is 3 star ship but with a family atmostphere. Virgo is 5 star ship and more impersonal. You know what I mean. How many times have you been on the Virgo now.

Not an expert definitely plus I have zilch clue about Gemini so I wanted opinion from those who sailed on her.

I have been on the Virgo for many years. We might or most probably have met although just that we can't recognise each other.

whizofoz - I personally don't think Sanya and Xiamen offer much. Sanya is more of a "photo-stop" IMHO and to say that you've been here, just follow the tour to the Tian Ya Hai Jiao(a nice rocky beach with 2 huge rocks with Chinese words saying "the end of land" NOTE: my translation is no good) I was here on the Aquarius and liked the Port which is new. Shopping here isn't good though

Xiamen is more of a developing city with sand and dust (its a transit city to other nicer cities to me), I'll recommend the Gulangyu tour as even the locals like the place and IMO it is the nicest place around Xiamen. Gulangyu is in between Xiamen & Quanzhou(where I think the ship will dock/anchor off). Quanzhou has nice food but nothing else IMO and Xiamen has (some) nice scenery. Distance between Xiamen and Quanzhou is about 200km. Meizhou Island tour might be offered and the place is nice, so if you want to visit a temple this tour will be great.

My long-awaited cruise on Virgo is nearly here. I leave on Sunday. I have just been re-reading through past posts and there is a wealth of information there. It's great, so thanks to all who have contributed. I've finished work for the year so am starting to really look forward to Sunday! I'll give you all my feedback when I return (which won't be til after Christmas...having Christmas in Singapore which will be great).

Liz

Current Captain is Capt. Jan Blomqvist

Capt. Magnus Gottberg and himself share the position rotating every 4 months.

I had the pleasure of Dining at The Captains Table with Capt. Magnus Gottberg and the Chief Engineer who was a lovely chatty person :D

We did two cruises with a short break in between in Singapore , and had a ball , do I want to go again ............oh yeah baby .......

Does anyone know if Mr Eddie Yap is still onboard the Virgo , if so I wish him a Happy Christmas and all the best for 2008 , he's a gorgeous person :)

My long-awaited cruise on Virgo is nearly here. I leave on Sunday. I have just been re-reading through past posts and there is a wealth of information there. It's great, so thanks to all who have contributed. I've finished work for the year so am starting to really look forward to Sunday! I'll give you all my feedback when I return (which won't be til after Christmas...having Christmas in Singapore which will be great).

Liz

Liz - Hope you have a great cruise on the lovely Virgo and an enjoyable Christmas in Singapore - look forward to your report when you come back.

Thanks for the good wishes Boeckli. I'm at the packing stage now. Can anyone tell me if I need to pack clothes hangers or are they supplied in the cabin? I'm in a balcony cabin. Also I think shampoo etc is provided as in hotels...am I right? I'm trying to pack light!

You will find hangers in the closet (ask for more if not enough :)) and shampoo and soap/shower gel are in a dispenser in the shower.

Enjoy the balcony - nothing like stepping out there first thing in the morning and last thing at nite ... :D

Hi Lisa - hope you still check in here! As promised, I passed on your message to Harold - yes, he remembered you and gave me a great big hug to pass on to you!!

Have you decided on your next cruise yet?

Vera

Hi Vera

Sorry for not checking back earlier - you know how it is, Christmas, work, kids!!!!! Thank you very much for passing on my message to Harold - how very sweet and kind of you!!! He was a great guy.

Hope you are well - and I hope all of the other cruisers are well and looking forward to Christmas and any cruises coming up.

I am really looking forward to Christmas............being over :D I just wrapped pressies today and it took 6hrs - phew!

No holiday or cruise planned yet for us - it is difficult to find a nice holiday where our 12yr old son, will be happy - he gets bored very easily! Both hubby and I are not sun-lovers and we love to sight-see - so it can be tricky to get the balance right for the 3 or us. I am looking at the Royal Carribean cruises - very tempted. Although my fave place ever is Orlando/Disney and I am gettin' the callin'!!

take care all - May I wish you all a very pleasant and merry Christmas and all good wishes for 2008

Lisa

x

Hi Lisa - glad you found my message and Harold's hug!!

Yes, it's full on here for Christmas and am looking forward to my son arriving from Qld to spend it with us.

Best wishes to you and your family for Christmas and the new year.

Hope you find a cruise to suit all the family!

Vera

Current Captain is Capt. Magnus Gottberg. He took over from Capt. Jan Blomqvist early-Dec.

Balcony cabins have SOME hangers, I'll guess around 10-15? Bath soap and shampoo are provided in all passenger cabins, and for Balcony cabins additional toiletry bags with moisturizer etc. are provided

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hi

This is just a wee "drop in".

Hope those who have an upcoming trip on Virgo have a lovely time!

I have a request for those travelling - could you please post reviews and photos of the ship. There do not seem to be many on CC! Thanks:)

We are looking to go on Virgo in the next year or so and would love to hear about it and see some pictures.

Thanks from New Zealand

Hi

This is just a wee "drop in".

Hope those who have an upcoming trip on Virgo have a lovely time!

I have a request for those travelling - could you please post reviews and photos of the ship. There do not seem to be many on CC! Thanks:)

We are looking to go on Virgo in the next year or so and would love to hear about it and see some pictures.

Thanks from New Zealand

Hi Davian - greetings from "across the ditch" ;)

First I would suggest reading through the posts on this thread (unless you have already done so).

If you click on the photographer smiley in my signature, you will find several of my web albums from previous Virgo cruises (we've sailed on her 6 times - loved it!

Also have a look at http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/superstarvirgo.htm - you'll find links to a lot of info

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here - I'm sure someone here will have (or try and find) the relevant info.

I hope all readers have had a lovely Christmas. I am newly arrived back from my cruise on the Virgo and had a wonderful time. It met all my expectations and then some. It was absolutely fantastic. I'm write some more thoughts later when I've collected them! It is a fantastic ship which was well run. Everyone is treated like a king! Can't wait to go again!

I hope all readers have had a lovely Christmas. I am newly arrived back from my cruise on the Virgo and had a wonderful time. It met all my expectations and then some. It was absolutely fantastic. I'm write some more thoughts later when I've collected them! It is a fantastic ship which was well run. Everyone is treated like a king! Can't wait to go again!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise on that nice ship - look forward to hearing more ...

Hi all!!

I'm back and planning another cruise on the SSV. Last time we stayed in junior suite 10508 on deck 10. Which side of the ship is best in your opinion and are the views better/worse from any of the other junior suites? Also does anyone know why the junior suites on deck 9 are more expensive than those on deck 10?

Thanks in advance

Deb (Perth, Western Australia) :)

Archived