Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Hi diverbabe151 - Happy 50th Birthday !

Glad to hear you had a fab time aboard the great Superstar Virgo :) We have always enjoyed cruising on her.

I'm sure you were excited about sitting at the captain's table at gala dinner - we have had that pleasure as well so I know how you felt :D

Your flight planning sure was tight and you were lucky to make it - don't think I would have chanced that :eek:

So did you enjoy it enough to go cruising again? (we were hooked after the first Virgo cruise ...)

Hi boeckli just checked out your photos they are fab. Noticed that you stayed in the Phoenix in singapore. We stayed there 4 years ago, we looked for it this year in singapore and it has been pulled down to build a big shopping complex. Yes we enjoyed it but we would not rush out to cruise year in year out. we are fiortunate enough to have a motorhome which we spend a lot of time in traveling lots of places, hate flying for long periods of time 13 hours to singapore for us.

Hello, I am a newcomer in this forum…

Been going thru d web to find out more abt SSV cos will be goin in 2wks time…

4days Penang Phuket. :D

I am at a lost n need some help. Please do take some time to ans my queries.

I really wanted to book a balcony class but since I was too late, was given a port hole room. I did not know cruises are a popular holiday choice. Booked early Jan but already all fully booked and left with only 2 rooms; 1 port-hole and 1 no hole :(

Maybe I picked the wrong month to go since it is the CNY week.

Very disappointing but have to accept it since my hub was so enthusiastic on goin on a cruise this month. Maybe after tis trip I am more prepared to booked earlier. So excited to go!!!:D

• How stuffy can it be in the port hole room? Can I request for another bed for my baby?
    • What are the inclusive restaurants we are able to have our meals without charging? Is it big enough in case lots of people want to eat for free? Is it true that I cant bring my 19mths baby to eat with us?
    • How formal is the dress code for the restaurant?
    • What is the price ranges of the rest of the restaurant charges?
    • Will there be any activities for toddlers?
    • For the Shorex what do u suggest in Penang & Phuket? Also suitable with a toddler along.
    • On my confirmation slip states that check-in time starts from 1200hr so what time do we really need to be there? Since I am a world-cruiser, I can anticipate a long queue!!!
    • Any other tips for me to know before I go onboard SSV? :p

HI,

IS IT OK TO BRING STROLLER ON BOARD SSV OR NO NEED FOR IT?

Hi Widya,

Welcome to the boards. You will have a great time on board the Virgo, no matter what cabin you are in :)

To answer some of your questions:

1. I believe you can contact Star Cruises and they should be able to supply a cot for your baby.

2. Inclusive restaurants are the Bella Vista, Pavilion Room and the Mediterranean Buffet. There are always plenty of tables available, do not stress:) .

3. Yes, of course you can bring your baby with you, they do provide high chairs. However, they do not allow kids under 10 to dine at the Bella Vista after 8pm. Plenty of time if you arrive reasonably early.

4. Dress code is smart casual. Collared shirt for men at dinner time.

5. Sorry, can't help with extra charges at other restaurants.

6. As far as I know, there are no organised activities for toddlers ( I could be wrong though:rolleyes: ), but there is a play area at the back of the ship with a small pool and toys, plastic ball pit....parents need to supervise though.

7. Yes, bring a stroller....easier for parents and toddler!:D

8. I would suggest arriving around 1pm, the queue moves quickly. It seems everyone heads to the buffet after boarding.......take a detour and go to the Bella Vista for lunch.....much less hectic.

9. Read through this thread.....

9. Have fun, go with the flow, don't stress the small things, ship happens.....:p

9. Watch the sailaway from the Taverna, Deck 13:D

Any more questions, just ask

Cheers

Justine

Hello, I am a newcomer in this forum…

Been going thru d web to find out more abt SSV cos will be goin in 2wks time…

4days Penang Phuket. :D

I am at a lost n need some help. Please do take some time to ans my queries.

I really wanted to book a balcony class but since I was too late, was given a port hole room. I did not know cruises are a popular holiday choice. Booked early Jan but already all fully booked and left with only 2 rooms; 1 port-hole and 1 no hole :(

Maybe I picked the wrong month to go since it is the CNY week.

Very disappointing but have to accept it since my hub was so enthusiastic on goin on a cruise this month. Maybe after tis trip I am more prepared to booked earlier. So excited to go!!!:D

• How stuffy can it be in the port hole room? Can I request for another bed for my baby?

Have never been in a port hole cabin but I'm sure you'll be OK. You will most likely not spend very much time in your cabin anyway, mainly to sleep :) You should be able to get a crib for your baby.

• What are the inclusive restaurants we are able to have our meals without charging? Is it big enough in case lots of people want to eat for free? Is it true that I cant bring my 19mths baby to eat with us?

Inclusive restaurants are Mediterranean (buffet), Pavilion (Chinese) and Bella Vista (Western and sometimes Chinese - where I think there is some restriction on age of children allowed - suggest you phone Starcruises to check) There is plenty of space for everybody, as they do not all eat at the same time.

• How formal is the dress code for the restaurant?

Other than at Gala Dinner night the dress code is not very formal, at Bella Vista in the evening requires collared shirt for men and I think no open sandals (for men that is)

• What is the price ranges of the rest of the restaurant charges?

Have not eaten much in the pay-extra restaurants, so unable to answer.

• Will there be any activities for toddlers?

Unable to answer (do not have any children, so did not apply to us)

• For the Shorex what do u suggest in Penang & Phuket? Also suitable with a toddler along.

Have a look at the Starcruises website for an idea on the tours offered.

• On my confirmation slip states that check-in time starts from 1200hr so what time do we really need to be there? Since I am a world-cruiser, I can anticipate a long queue!!!
    • Any other tips for me to know before I go onboard SSV? :p

Make sure to enjoy your first time on the beautiful SuperStar Virgo - there is lots to see and experience even though there will be many passengers for CNY week.

Hello Widya - welcome to Cruise Critic and the SuperStar Virgo thread!

Will try to answer some of your questions (see above)

Yes, I think to bring a stroller would be a good idea :)

Hope you have a great time - tell us afterwards about your experience.

Hi boeckli just checked out your photos they are fab. Noticed that you stayed in the Phoenix in singapore. We stayed there 4 years ago, we looked for it this year in singapore and it has been pulled down to build a big shopping complex. Yes we enjoyed it but we would not rush out to cruise year in year out. we are fiortunate enough to have a motorhome which we spend a lot of time in traveling lots of places, hate flying for long periods of time 13 hours to singapore for us.

Glad you enjoyed the photos :) I read about the Phoenix as well - last few times we stayed at the Grand Plaza Park Hotel City Hall - great place convenient to transport etc. We found the Orchard Road location not so convenient.

13 hrs flight to Singapore :eek: - where do you hail from? For our trip on the Norwegian Dawn we flew first to Singapore from Perth and then 18 hrs non-stop to New York (it was well worth it though :D:):D)

Hi Widya,

Welcome to the boards. You will have a great time on board the Virgo, no matter what cabin you are in :)

To answer some of your questions:

1. I believe you can contact Star Cruises and they should be able to supply a cot for your baby.

2. Inclusive restaurants are the Bella Vista, Pavilion Room and the Mediterranean Buffet. There are always plenty of tables available, do not stress:) .

3. Yes, of course you can bring your baby with you, they do provide high chairs. However, they do not allow kids under 10 to dine at the Bella Vista after 8pm. Plenty of time if you arrive reasonably early.

4. Dress code is smart casual. Collared shirt for men at dinner time.

5. Sorry, can't help with extra charges at other restaurants.

6. As far as I know, there are no organised activities for toddlers ( I could be wrong though:rolleyes: ), but there is a play area at the back of the ship with a small pool and toys, plastic ball pit....parents need to supervise though.

7. Yes, bring a stroller....easier for parents and toddler!:D

8. I would suggest arriving around 1pm, the queue moves quickly. It seems everyone heads to the buffet after boarding.......take a detour and go to the Bella Vista for lunch.....much less hectic.

9. Read through this thread.....

9. Have fun, go with the flow, don't stress the small things, ship happens.....:p

9. Watch the sailaway from the Taverna, Deck 13:D

Any more questions, just ask

Cheers

Justine

Justin,

Will go 2 Taverna all right! Thanks alot for the replies on my queries...

I cant wait for the day to come!!

Hello Widya - welcome to Cruise Critic and the SuperStar Virgo thread!

Will try to answer some of your questions (see above)

Yes, I think to bring a stroller would be a good idea :)

Hope you have a great time - tell us afterwards about your experience.

Hi boeckli,

So glad 4 ur help...Ur replies will help us on our cruise soon...

Thanks alot. Will tell u all all abt it....

Glad you enjoyed the photos :) I read about the Phoenix as well - last few times we stayed at the Grand Plaza Park Hotel City Hall - great place convenient to transport etc. We found the Orchard Road location not so convenient.

13 hrs flight to Singapore :eek: - where do you hail from? For our trip on the Norwegian Dawn we flew first to Singapore from Perth and then 18 hrs non-stop to New York (it was well worth it though :D:):D)

Hi boeckli

we flew from london heathrow to singapore. we stayed in the rendezvous on orchard road good location we had two days there before the cruise.

Hi Widya,

I am new to this forum too, just to let you know that we were on the SSV in 2006, it was great, dined in most of the restaurants as we had SGD 400/= credit as we were in balcony class, had a good deal going from Australia, we used that for food and drinks, forget the name of the Chinese Restaurant but it was great, Gala night was at Bella vista great food etc. You will enjoy it. We are going in Dec 2008 on gemini. Cant wait. Cheers!

Wishing a very happy Chinese/Lunar New Year to everyone.

Hope the new year will be filled with peace, happiness and prosperity for all and global peace for everyone to enjoy.

祝大家農曆新年快樂!祝各位健康,快樂,發大財!

2246472402_f74dd8a99a_o.jpg

Mike

Hi to all SSV cruisers - and a warm welcome to Widya and briansm7:D

Great to see the board and its members is assisting new and old cruisers alike with great info and tips.

When we last cruised in 07 we had a friend in a porthole room and she felt it was adequate - particularly considering time spent in the cabin.

Prices for the "charged" dining varied from between $60 - $100 AUS per couple including drinks ( wine and beer ) - but were well worth the cost - particularly Palazzo and Noble House which were fantastic.

Cannot wait until we cruise in Oct on SSV departing Hong Kong - 6D 5N - Sanya, Xianen, Halong Bay as we have always departed Singapore then travelled to Hong Kong for a few days after the cruise. Actually cruised Mallaca Straits 3 times in a row !

Hong Kong should be amazing to depart from and return to considering the beauty of Victoria Harbour and the amazing spectacle it is.

We are again staying at the Renaissance Harbourview for 4 days ( prior departure ) then on the cruise.

We then stay at Marco Polo Prince for 1 night - to Macau for a few days - then Marco Polo Prince for 1 more night - then back to Oz.

Everyone that goes on SSV seems to have great accolades for the ship and its crew which is fully deserved IMHO.

I hope to see some good reports and great holiday stories continuing to be posted as they are very interesting and a true highlight of the board.

Happy cruising to all.

Simon :)

Hi all,:)

Any info on Sanya, Xianen and Halong Bay would be great and appreciated.

Are the ports new / old / close to major cities etc.

Also - has SSV a new show that will be presented for the new Hong Kong departures?

Thanks in advance:D

Simon

Thanks SSV:)

We have seen The Musicians of Bremen; Street Life ( didn't worry about Passion ) on our cruise in 07. The Musicians of Bremen was excellent - particularly the acrobats - but were hoping that Star would change the shows as they seem to have done each year around August.

This cruise being our 4th year in a row on SSV we are still very excited regardless of the shows.

Regards

Simon:D

Thanks SSV:)

We have seen The Musicians of Bremen; Street Life ( didn't worry about Passion ) on our cruise in 07. The Musicians of Bremen was excellent - particularly the acrobats - but were hoping that Star would change the shows as they seem to have done each year around August.

This cruise being our 4th year in a row on SSV we are still very excited regardless of the shows.

Regards

Simon:D

Thanks SSV:D

Hopefully they will still maintain the trampoline ending which is a sight to behold especially on a moving ship!

We watched with the Chief Engineer after the Gala dinner on the Captains table and he had built it up to be fantastic - we weren't disappointed!

Cannot wait until we cruise China out of HK on this excellent ship.

A couple of pics attached of Pisces alongside in HK last year.

Regards

Simon

PS sorry about the previous double posting.:o

IMG_0876.jpg.a87b509ffaa1db8d18eedeb070723936.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg.25edaeb116cce565485257c7f43341f8.jpg

This is to techie99. You mentioned that you might stay at the Shangri-La in Singapore. If this is the Shangri-La on Sentosa Island then you might want to pick another place. The view from Sentosa out to the water is all container ships. There is a beach there but ships waiting to get into port fill the horizon. Look into staying at a hotel on or near Orchard Road. Really, any hotel within 2 blocks of an MRT station would be very convenient for you.

Twice As Nice - indicated to us that following their Australian season on SS GEMINI they were transferring to VIRGO for a season there.

I saw their performance on the Gemini and don't rate them highly.

I would be surprised is they would have a show by themselves or just a part of an overall show. The expectation on the Virgo is much higher because it is a much larger and newer ship.

We always enjoy the live entertainment at Bellini each evening after the main shows - particularly the ability to accommodate most song requests.;)

Virgo seems to be fairly "high end" with its entertainment and has a diverse selection to cater to all tastes.

Always worth a cocktail break at Bellini as a nightcap.:D

Another highlight on Virgo cruises is the steamboat meal at Taverna which we always over indulge at. The produce is so fresh and you can cook it to your own liking. It is limited tables so always book in advance.

It is great fun working out your meal venues on the first day of the cruise to try and sample the varied and excellent cuisine on offer. After 3 previous cruises we still haven't been able to fit in the Samurai restaurant - never enough time! :mad:

regards

Simon:)

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

thanks to all of u for the tremendous amount of info i gathered here.

12 march 08 i will ex-singapore virgo for malacca and port klang cruise.

3 days 2 nites.

my first time cruise.

my questions:

1] each cabin can support max how many ppl?

i may be staying inside stateroom.

2] how many of u guys have been to the short 3d2n malacca port klang trip? any tips?

3] how much is the oil tax?

4] i read about meals having no isses - in that it is free for inclusive restaurants. how about drinks? it seems i have to pay for soft drinks?

if i need to pay, how much is a can of coke?

5] which free restaurants are 24/7?

6] the departure is stated as 2359

wat is the latest time i can arrive at harbourfront?

7] im assuming since i depart at midnite, what type of activities will there be in the wee hours of morning, or just that everyone will sleep?

8] how far is port klang from KLCC?

9] i understand there is some sort of F and B credit on the access card. if im staying at inside stateroom, will i be entitled to it and how much?

10] how high is the ship? lets say u look down from the sides, how many storeys do u think it is?

11] will i hear the engine noise?

12] wat is the grand plaza? will i be able to get in free?

13] do they have pool tables or arcades where i can play for free?

14] is the onboard entertainment payable or free?

15] wat time does the clinic open or close?

16] is the blue lagoon payable?

thanks

and sorry for the long post

Firstly open this link and download the e-brochures for VIRGO (i) International version and (ii) brochure covering your cruise period and that will give you a lot of info on SS VIRGO photos etc .

http://www.starcruises.com/newweb/main/ebrochures.aspx

Now to your questions :

1] each cabin can support max how many ppl?

i may be staying inside stateroom.

Two per cabin in the norm . Some Staterooms can accommodate 3rd or 4th pax in fold down upper pullman type beds. If extra pax in cabin then they are not free . You must book and pay for them.

2] how many of u guys have been to the short 3d2n malacca port klang trip? any tips?

Most of us . Roll with the punches and RELAX . Soak in the VIRGO magic.

3] how much is the oil tax?

Any fuel surcharge will be charged as part of your fare . Not aware at this time of any Star fuel surcharges.

4] i read about meals having no isses - in that it is free for inclusive restaurants. how about drinks? it seems i have to pay for soft drinks?

if i need to pay, how much is a can of coke?

You pay for soft drinks, charged to your on board account at milk bar prices. Forget about it . Fruit juice at breakfast is free . Water is free, good idea to develop a taste for it as it is refreshing and good for you and FREE.

5] which free restaurants are 24/7?

Two issues here .

Free inclusive restaurants are Mediterranean Buffet (International cuisine), Pavilion Room (Asian), and Bella Vista (Western Cuisine).

None of these are 24 hours but free water, tea , coffee station in Mediterranean buffet 24 hours a day . All other food and beverage outlets are pay and IIRC Blue Lagoon is 24 hours a day .

6] the departure is stated as 2359

wat is the latest time i can arrive at harbourfront?

Generally Star board 3 to 1 1/2 hours prior to departure . Check your travel documents. I would advise you be there minimum 2 hours prior to departure to be safe .

7] im assuming since i depart at midnite, what type of activities will there be in the wee hours of morning, or just that everyone will sleep?

Bars, karaoke, night club etc till 2 am or so . Check STAR NAVIGATOR daily news sheet on boarding .

8] how far is port klang from KLCC?

Some distance like KL is inland not on the coast . Star will offer a coach transfer to KL for the day . Check out VIRGO shore excursions for Port Klang under VIRGO on Star website at : http://www.starcruises.com If your stop at Port Klang is termed as a technical stop, then pax are not allowed off.

9] i understand there is some sort of F and B credit on the access card. if im staying at inside stateroom, will i be entitled to it and how much?

NO . Inside Stateroom is classed as World Cruiser (Blue card). The Food and Beverage credit applies only to Balcony Class (Red card) or Admiral Class (Yellow Card) cabins .

10] how high is the ship? lets say u look down from the sides, how many storeys do u think it is? 13 decks high , when it goes under Sydney harbour bridge the clearance is just 2m . Virgo is big like 77,000 tonnes.

11] will i hear the engine noise?

Generally no . Slight vibration at times. Forget about it.

12] wat is the grand plaza? will i be able to get in free?

It is the Grand Piazza a giant open atrium space on Deck 7 . Like central town square, public accessible area no fees .

13] do they have pool tables or arcades where i can play for free?

No pool tables on boats that I am aware of as the balls would roll under certain sea conditions . No game machine arcades. The entertainment is far more upmarket and extensive than that . Check out STAR NAVIGATOR daily. There are daily programs for kids, teenagers, young adults, and older folk . Plenty to do on Virgo.

14] is the onboard entertainment payable or free?

Most is free .

15] wat time does the clinic open or close?

Medical clinic has session during daytime and again early evening. Out of these hours medical assistance is available 24/7 on enquiry to reception. Medical consulatations are charged for, and no rebates through Medicare if you are from Aus.

16] is the blue lagoon payable?

YES it is a pay outlet.

Hope this helps. Relax, roll with the punches, soak in the VIRGO magic and you will have a great cruise.

The Security on Star ships is exceptional and the Security guys are Nepalese Gurkhas so you can be assured of complete safety and no behavioural problems.

Third cruise coming up shortly, but first time from Hong Kong, Staying at Harbour Plaza Metropolis - I heard the rooms are smaller than the Junior Suites on the Virgo but that small hotel rooms are the norm in HK. Can anyone confirm this ?

Looking forward to hearing some views on the tours when the Virgo does relocate - Halong Bay looks amazing

Archived