Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Dear Deb

We also went from WA with a night in Singapore before the cruise. We took duty free alcohol from here and took on board Virgo - no probs, but we hadnt opened it it was all still sealed. There was an ice bucket in the cabin and each afternoon the cabin attendant brought us fresh ice.

We were also pleasantly surprised that the drink prices on board are all very reasonable (pub price equivalents). Example bottle of Evans & Tate Red with dinner was ~ $35, Tiger beer $4.50 a mug, a glass of bubbles ~$9-10.

Jane

Thanks for your replies :) They have definately put my mind at rest.

Does anyone know if I can prebook the night safari in Singapore before we flyout from WA or is it done when in Singapore...I'd really love to go to the zoo but we arrive in Singapore mid afternoon so I dont think we would have enough time so maybe the night safari is an option.

Deb :p

I am booked on the same itinerary as you are, just one month later. We are so excited already but just have a long time to wait.

I loved the night safari last time I went to Singapore and yes you can pre-book it in WA before you go, just ask your travel agent, I like to organise everything before I go and pay for as much as possible. I think that the pre-booked tours are pretty good value for money and worry free :)

Good luck with your planning Deb.

Nic

Thanks for your reply Nic!

Would you be able to tell me about Gala night...is there one on every cruise and what is it all about? We will be staying in a junior suite on the Virgo...which class does that make us? Admiral or balcony? :o Thanks

Deb

Wow! Deb we have booked into a junior suite too!! That makes you admiral class, I think.

From what I know the Gala night consists of cocktails a big dinner and a special show. As you will be in Admiral class you will likely sit at or close to the captains table. Many people dress up and men are encouraged to wear a suit etc.

You do not have to go, you can dine at the other restaurants that night too from what others have said on this thread their is no charge at those restaurants on that evening.

I hope that this is right, because I haven't done the cruise just researched it so if I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me.

:)

Nic

Hi Nic,

You are correct!

There is no obligation to sit at or near the Captain's table, although it is a very nice experience. There are many other dining venues that are free of charge that evening.

The special show that night is very nice, especially the crew entertainment.

Hope you and everyone else enjoys their cruise aboard Virgo.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the replies!

It will be quite funny because the first time I think my partner has ever had to wear a suit will be on our wedding day, haha.

I know there is a cashless system on the Virgo but what do I do with regards to money when in Singapore and during the shore excusions? This will be my first time overseas so please excuse the novice in me :)

Thanks, Deb

Deb,

At reception on the ship you can do your cash exchanges. I would suggest you get some singapore dollars in Perth before you go (maybe just $100) so you feel prepared when you land, otherwise feel safe using ATMs just like you do at home or exchanging cash. Travellers cheques are an option both accepted by exchange and the hotels in singapore and on the ship. Credit card is also a good option and I think from memory they will imprint your card on the ship to cover the costs charged to your cabin using your swipe card. Most hotels do this as general practice too.

When we went on the Gemini a few years ago we simply exchanged a small amount of Aus dollars into the local currency when we pulled into port and changed any leftovers back into singapore dollars when we left that country. You always loose a bit in the exchange but we never cared, we were happy to exchange with the safety of the ship.

Sorry about the long reply, hope it is helpful.

Nic

Deb,

I second Nic's advice re changing money. On our numerous trips to Singapore, I have found it easier to use the ATM's at the airport as soon as we arrive to withdraw $200 from our account. This alleviates the hassle of getting to the city (as we live in the country) to change money before flying out. Then use the ship's exchange for a small amount to get you ashore. We have used ATM's throughout Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Hong Kong without any problems.

Have a terrific trip.......and we look forward to hearing all about it when you return as well!

:) Hi Deb & Nic,

Great decision to book Jnr Suites - they are fantastic !:)

Priveledges are also excellent incl your choice prior boarding as to where you would like to dine for the Gala ( captains dinner ) evening.

My recommendation is Bella Vista as the excitement is amplified.

Admiral Class will also give you 2 items for pressing daily and fruit basket daily.

The service is unbelievable with your own crew member ensuring the cruise is seamless and memorable.

BTW : The windows in your bathroom are one way so do not panic, and

only use a small amount of the supplied bath salts / bubbles in the jacuzzi

as it really bubbles ( as my mother found out - what a mess )

There is a steamboat dinner option at The Taverna ( Thurs I think ) which I can also recommend with great meat and seafood.

Once you have experienced Admiral Class you will never go back.:cool:

Well, that is what happened to us - and we have already booked for

an Aug 12 departure 2007 in 2 Jnr Suites.:D

Are you on the "Roll Call " within the board ?

YOU WILL LOVE IT !!!

Regards

Simon

Yes yes, it's that 3D 4N Penang & Phuket cruise! Can't wait... Everyone in my office knows that I am counting down the days. And it's happening this Sunday!!! :p

Thanks Elyse...So are u all set for your cruise this October? I know you're pretty much excited about it... :) Oh do tell us your experiences.

Are you for the 3 day Penang / Phuket Cruise? Take Care!:D

Advance booking is available up to 2 months from now.

You can book online when it's nearer the date.

The link is: http://www.zoo.com.sg/Wildlife/eTicket/eTicket.cfm?from=NightSafari

And yes, since u are arriving in mid-afternoon, there's really no point in going to the zoo. Think about check-out from airport, checking in to hotel etc and the zoo is way off, far from city. By the time you reached there, it's already near closing time. So, it's a better option to go to the Night Safari. :D

Thanks for your replies :) They have definately put my mind at rest.

Does anyone know if I can prebook the night safari in Singapore before we flyout from WA or is it done when in Singapore...I'd really love to go to the zoo but we arrive in Singapore mid afternoon so I dont think we would have enough time so maybe the night safari is an option.

Deb :p

And also, you do not need any pre-book tours in Singapore as it is a fairly small country and public transportations are adequate.

You can just get a cab to get to the Night Safari, and it will probably cost u slightly more than S$20 or less, depending on where you came from. There is even a Night Safari's bus which has a few pickup points at Orchard Road and Little India.

More information here: http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/visitor/gettinghere.htm

Advance booking is available up to 2 months from now.

You can book online when it's nearer the date.

The link is: http://www.zoo.com.sg/Wildlife/eTicket/eTicket.cfm?from=NightSafari

And yes, since u are arriving in mid-afternoon, there's really no point in going to the zoo. Think about check-out from airport, checking in to hotel etc and the zoo is way off, far from city. By the time you reached there, it's already near closing time. So, it's a better option to go to the Night Safari. :D

Hey all!

It was mentioned that I can use ATM's when in singapore and on the cruise...do these take credit cards?? If so, will I need to see my bank in Australia to get myself a pin number and enable my card so that I can draw money out overseas?? :o

Thanks in advance :) Deb

Hi Gidget,

We just used our standard debit card with the same pin number you would use in Australia. Depending on which bank you are with, there might be a S$5.00 charge so I would suggest withdrawing a larger amount. But even so, the exchange rate is better than changing money the usual way.

I wouldn't worry about prebooking the night safari, it's very easy to do it on your own. Just catch a taxi from the hotel, they are much cheaper than here in Australia, and you can take your time walking around or riding the train without having to rush around.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time on your cruise and congrats on your up and coming wedding!:)

Justine

Wow! Deb we have booked into a junior suite too!! That makes you admiral class, I think.

From what I know the Gala night consists of cocktails a big dinner and a special show. As you will be in Admiral class you will likely sit at or close to the captains table. Many people dress up and men are encouraged to wear a suit etc.

I hope that this is right, because I haven't done the cruise just researched it so if I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me.

:)

Nic

Hi all

We were in a suite for a cruise in June and you are correct - this is Admiral Class, as for the Gala Dinner we chose the Italian restaurant (second sitting) and we did not sight the Captain at all. In fact the only crew who called in whilst we were dining was the Cruise Director. Not sure if the Captain dines at Bella Vista, Most men just wore Shirt and dress pants - not many at all in suits - in fact some joked that the only people wearing suits were 1st time cruisers - but dont let that put anyone off - it is a great night and the more dressed up you are - the better you feel. Just wish the budget would let us book for 07, oh well just have to hang out for 2008 :)

Thanks Stuart,

Last time we cruised on Gemini my husband didn't take a suit jacket and he had to organise to hire one on the boat, so he will be really pleased not to have to worry about that this time we cruise. Dressing up is nice, but the fancy clothes take up a lot of suitcase room, and I have to leave room for the shopping :).

Deb, dont worry you will meet lots of nice people on board I am sure and it will make you cruise all the more special.

Nic

Hi all

My hubby to be does not own a suit haha...so would you suggest buying one or perhaps just some nice dress pants and shirt?? He a bit of a thongs and board shorts guy so I think he might feel uncomfortable in a suit lol

Any other ideas on what we should pack would be great...I have a tendency to overpack and forget the little things...like the hairbrush haha.

Thanks Deb :p

Hi everyone,:)

Hope all board members that have cruised StarCruises have had great times.

I have been busy at work so have missed the board a bit.

Has anyone heard of the new "stage production" that SSV will have during 2007 when Kingdom of Kung Fu finishes ?

Also has there been any info gained re Starcruises and what is planned for the Hong Kong cruise hub ?

As you know we have booked SSV again in Aug 07 but are itching to cruise on a similiar sized vessel out of Hong Kong.

Gemini Exec Suite is too expensive for the Singapore - Hong Kong trip

considering there are no extra benefits or on board credit.:mad:

Simon

Hi Simon,

Star Cruises Hong Kong office are now working on itineraries, pricing and introduction material for the new SuperStar Aquarius (ex-Norwegian Wind).

The ship should begin cruises ex-Hong Kong in July 2007 after a refit in Singapore.

I will keep you all updated as I receive confirmed information from Star.

Regards,

Mike

Dear All

Have confirmation of our next Virgo trip for June 2007 to Vietnam and Redang Island. Yippee!! :) I wont start counting sleeps just yet ...

Has anyone done this itinerary on Virgo before and if so do you have any suggestions for shore excursions in Vietnam??

Mike, thanks for the update on the Hong Kong itineraries - very much look forward to hearing more about those when available.

In the meantime, hope all is well with everyone.

Kind regards

Jane

Hi Folks on this SuperStar popular thread ~

Just heard from my UK TA that Star Cruises company have 'cancelled all their 2007 Mediterranean Cruises':confused: It's a bummer as we have booked to go on the SSL Egypt & Ancient Isles cruise in 2007:(

My TA will have to refund all deposits on the SS Libra cruises in the Med.

Mike ~ can you please contact your reliable sources in Star Co.to check if this is true? Where will they relocate the SSLibra?

Looks like we may consider another SSV or Aquarius cruise in the Far East - H.Kong, Vietnam etc.and have to wait for their itinerary for available options. Do keep us posted.

Well, we are off to Miami, USA this weekend to board the current largest cruiseship in the world (RCL's Freedom of the Seas) to cruise the Western Caribbean and will check in again on return.

Cheers. James:)

Life is short..................cruises are even shorter!

Cruising rekindles the body, soothes the soul and awakens the spirit!

Archived