Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Thanks for posting those pics

Looks GREAT

Cant wait !

NOt long nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I have been to Virgo last year, on Christmas eve. MS SuperStar Virgo is the pride of Star Cruises, which owns NCL. This means Star Cruises indirectly owns Orient Line and NCL America. Star Cruises also has a division called Ferry Cruises, which operates only one ferry as of now. Virgo's main lobby is very colorful, with Asian influences. I can't do a full review, but I can tell you the ship is magnificent, the crew is friendly and the food is good. I have a few pics too.

p1050152wu6.jpg

p1050186mw6.jpg

p1050147vr2.jpg

p1050142sa6.jpg

Overall, the ship is good value for money with nice amenities. It's also pretty well made, considering it's from Meyer-Werft in Papenburg, Germany. People from the west should try out this ship.

Oh and we're cruising on Virgo on 3rd June 2007. Looking forward to it!:cool:

In recent months the Virgo has increase the points awarded by 25% but has also increased the points useage required for the free cruise by 100%.

This has discourage gamblers from going on the ship as it now takes 40 to 60 points to go on board. Also Maroon caed holders cannot go on board and some card holders have seen their points earned expiring due to the 2 year time limitation for use of the points.

I think Star Cruises is hurting themselves more than gamblers.

Anybody has some insights into this.

In recent months the Virgo has increase the points awarded by 25% but has also increased the points useage required for the free cruise by 100%.

This has discourage gamblers from going on the ship as it now takes 40 to 60 points to go on board. Also Maroon caed holders cannot go on board and some card holders have seen their points earned expiring due to the 2 year time limitation for use of the points.

I think Star Cruises is hurting themselves more than gamblers.

Anybody has some insights into this.

Yep, maroon card need 400-600 points to go up anytime which is kinda steep. i didnt see any increase for points awarded. Go on the Megastar ships to earn more points. The expiring dateline have always been the same yes? All said, I'm going up on the Virgo today! Hoorays.

Hi I have been hovering around for a while and have gathered tonnes of information from you all. Thanks very much. WE have booked on Star Virgo for 8th July to Penang and Phuket. We have booked cabins 10132,10136 which are with the balconies and 10133 (inside state room). which is supposed to be opposite our room on Deck 10.

I wanted to check... what time can you come abode on the first day of the cruise. For example if they mention that departure is at 1400 hrs so what time should we come into the ship.

Also what are the incidental costs on the ship... alcohol and......

What is the routine once you reach phuket or Penang. Can you make your own arranghements for excursions or do we need to do it through the ship.What do we do in Penang?

Thanks a lot...

Hi I have been hovering around for a while and have gathered tonnes of information from you all. Thanks very much. WE have booked on Star Virgo for 8th July to Penang and Phuket. We have booked cabins 10132,10136 which are with the balconies and 10133 (inside state room). which is supposed to be opposite our room on Deck 10.

I wanted to check... what time can you come abode on the first day of the cruise. For example if they mention that departure is at 1400 hrs so what time should we come into the ship.

Also what are the incidental costs on the ship... alcohol and......

What is the routine once you reach phuket or Penang. Can you make your own arranghements for excursions or do we need to do it through the ship.What do we do in Penang?

Thanks a lot...

Hi,

If I'm not wrong, Penang & Phuket cruise for Superstar Virgo sails at 1600hrs instead. Check-in starts 1200hrs and ends at 1430hrs.

Main courses at Blue Lagoon starts at 8.50SGD to 12SGD.

Alcoholic drinks starts at approx 8SGD.

All prices are subjected to a 15% service charge.

Self arranged excursions are possible however it is a hassle. The ship also do not wait for passengers who are late when not with ship-excursion groups.

Penang is filled with monuments and temples rich in history and culture, the food there is also extremely delicious.

Port talks will also be conducted on the ship for more information on the islands, the ship-excursion options and self-tour.(I'm not sure if this is still available with different cruise director, anyone?)

I'm sure my descriptions and information does not yet do the places justice, I believe the experts could elaborate further. Have fun on the Virgo, my favourite!

WELL MY LAST POST BEFORE WE GO

SHAME COULD NOT FIND ANY OTHER CRUISERS

MAYBE WE HAVE THE SHIP TO OURSELVES:D

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO ADVISED AND FOR ALL THE DETAILS

WILL POST BACK ON HERE WHEN WE ARE BACK

SIONARA...OPPS THATS JAPANESE:rolleyes:

OLOHA...NO THATS HAWAIAN:cool:

OH WELL TTFN........:D

MURRAY

It should tell you on your Itinerary/Tickets when you can board from it is usually 3 - 4 hrs before scheduled departure. Once on board you can use the inclusive food outlets that are open without payment. With Singapore Cruise Centre you get dropped off at a set point where you lodge your large bags which are then delivered to outside your cabin by Star staff. You then walk around the quayside and upstairs to IIRC level 2 in the Terminal where all the check in is done. Then you walk along an enclosed walkway after immigration etc and board the vessel. There are heaps of inclusive restaurants on SS Virgo . Drink prices are charged to your plastic card at what Aussies would term as bar prices , reasonable pricing. When you board SS Virgo they encode a plastic type credit card for each passenger with your passport details (they retain your passport till dis-embarkation) . That single card then acts as your cabin door key, charge card for all on board purchases, and security card to count you on & off the vessel at ports, and as a passport for country you are visiting . So you do NOT lose it. Before arriving back to Singapore you settle your account you have totted up on the card . Currency on board for card transactions is Singapore $ dollars. Penang was tender port when we were there so you go ashore in the covered lifeboats . The wharf in Penang is right in town so you can do your own thing and explore, but it is quite big place . We took a Star - Penang tour including lunch. At Phuket we berthed at wharf but is a long way out of the action (town). In Phuket we went on the tour to James Bond Island all day and it was just stunning . The tours they offer on board are very good and reasonable value, and they are hassle free wharf back to wharf and they have them organized with the precision of a military invasion. (Over 1000 passengers are disemabarked, taken ashore and in buses and away on a multiplicity of tours within an hour . Tip don't come to the assembly point in the Lido ahead of the time stated on the tour ticket or they will send you away . Play safe and take their tours . You can see the tour on offer by fishing around the Star Cruises website http://www.starcruises.com under destinations/tours . Hope all this helps.

:p Hi all,

I have arrived back from Singapore. My fiancee and I were on the SSV from April 1st to April 6th. Cruise was great! We had a ball. If anyone wants to know anything about the cruise/ship please do not hesitate to ask. If you have any questions about kids stuff I'm sorry I won't be able to help you as we didn't have any with us. Can't wait for the next cruise!

Welcome Back First Time Cruiser 2007!

How about writing a bit about your daily impressions and activities aboard SS Virgo. We would all love to hear what you did and how you found the different facilities and ports and activities. Those of us who haven't been aboard her for a while will get very jealous and it will whet the appetite of those who are due to cruise shortly.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Is anyone out here sailing on the SSV on the 8th of July. It would be fun to meet! We have booked the balcony cabins on Deck 10 and the cabins opposite us for the kids. Can't wait now....

Just finished with our bookings to KL, Singapore and Langkawi. End June really seems so far off. Till then I will continue browsing this fantastic forum. Thanks every one.

Gee I wish I was on that one! We are leaving on July 29th for the same trip. We too have balcony cabin and kids opposite. Would love to hear how you get on. I'm wondering whether they will let us check in as balcony or whether since we all not balcony we will have to go with world cruisers (this is what the webpage said if you have different class).. but with kids they may be more leanient - here's hoping!!

Have a wonderful time.

Hi Revkar

I had the same thoughts. Was wondering if they'd let the kids check in with us. We actually have 2 balcony and 1 inside cabin so hopefully we all get priority check in. Just can't wait...... but before all that the kids still need to go through their final exams!

Hi Everyone

I've just discovered this website and it's great. Am going on first cruise ever in December....5 night cruise on Virgo from Singapore. I can't wait. I'm going alone but know people who have done that and said it was fine. I've got lots of hints from reading the posts but does anyone know if you are able to book shore excursions before you depart. It sounds like a bit of a bun fight to try and do it on the ship. Also I read something that made me think you can check in in Singapore the day before (I leave on a Sunday). Is that correct? Where from?

Any other hints would be greatly appreciated. I'm really excited already and its months away!

Am going on first cruise ever in December....5 night cruise on Virgo from Singapore. I can't wait. ... does anyone know if you are able to book shore excursions before you depart. It sounds like a bit of a bun fight to try and do it on the ship. Also I read something that made me think you can check in in Singapore the day before (I leave on a Sunday). Is that correct?

I'm sure you are excited - going on your first cruise! You will enjoy the SuperStar Virgo - we have sailed on her 6 times and loved every minute of it (you can click on the smiley with the camera in my signature for some photos).

With regard to checking in the day before, the following is from the Starcruises website :

We've made it more convenient for you to go on a SuperStar Virgo cruise holiday than ever before! Check-in at our Sales Counter in the heart of town, and sail off in a breeze!

City Check-in:

For Wednesday sailings - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

For Friday sailings - Wednesday and Thursday

For Sunday sailings - Friday and Saturday

City Check-in location : No.9, Penang Road,

#11-08, Park Mall, Singapore 238459

Call our City Check-in hotline at (65) 6832 9847 for more information

I don't think you can book shore excursions in advance (we never could before). On their website you can at least get some idea of what is being offered for each port so you can make up your mind before you get onboard. We've never had any problems with booking onboard but I suggest if you want something specific, make enquiries as soon as you get onboard.

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Star do not sell shore excursions in advance (whereas their subsidiary NCL does sell them on line and it was great to join Norwegian Wind in Vancouver and there were our Tour Tickets in our Stateroom when we baorded.)

On SS Virgo you book at Reception Desk on boarding, no big deal plenty of places and staff to do it for you . Go to STAR website and fish around and you can find the shore excursions for your ports of call . Just pick out the ones you want to do and then book them as soon as you are settled in your cabin .

Believe me they run the land tours with military precision - over 1000 pax were taken ashore in tenders in Penang within 45 minutes on the coaches and away . One tip they tell you to come to the Lido as an assembly point at a specific time . Don't come earlier than the time or they will send you away. Have a great cruise .

Hi FurballPerth - welcome to CC - full of info and advice and we have made some wonderful friends over the years meeting on various cruises.

I'm sure you will love your first cruise - but warning cruising is addictive!

Have been on Virgo and Gemini and loved both ships. We're booked on Gemini 17 June - can't wait!

Ask any questions there's always someone here to help/advise.

Regards

Vera

Thanks for the welcome Vera. I was wondering if anyone has guidelines for where to shop in Phuket since we only have a few hours there and I gather the markets will not be operating as we will be there in daylight hours. Where to buy dvds etc? Is it better to take the organised shopping tour. Does that go to Patong Beach or to Phuket town. Any advice welcome. I don't want to waste my time!

Hi FurballPerth - if you go to the Superstar Gemini board and read postnumber 416 Tracey gives a good, description of Phuket. From my experience tours will take you to the more expensive shops. There are heaps of shops in Patong starting on the road facing the beach and working up sidestreets. The ship will probably have a bus to the beach area but taxis are plentiful.

Vera

Can anyone tell me if the 'no open toe' rule for shoes in the restaurants applies to women or is it men only? Is it for all restaurants? Similarly, I've read that sleeveless tops are not permitted. Is that for men and women?

Thanks to you all. I'm a bit of a novice.

Hi Furball

The no-open-toe shoe ruling is for the men, assume the sleeveless tops rule is the same.......I think this should be made clearer on the pre-cruise info. Not sure which restaurants this applies to but can't imagine anyone would be turned away from the self-serve buffet.

Enjoy your cruise

Not long to go now!!! We sail July 29th! Yay!

Just wondering if anyone knows the cost of the Fantasea excursion in Phuket? I found out that I can book and do own arrangements but that still works out quite expensive so we may be better off just to do the ship arranged one and not have to stress about transport and time.

Any help on excursions much appreciated. The Starcruises website doesnt give enough details and there feedback/question feed-back page will not work! Since there are 6 of us (2 parents, 2 teen and 2 kids) it works out expensive and we need to budget!

Thanks!

KJU

Archived