taxi services on St. Thomas

WAMomzart

We are going to be in St. Thomas in one week and I was wondering if there are many taxi vans and cars, or mostly buses? I can get myself into a van or car, but can't walk up the steps of a bus, and make my way down an aisle to the seats. My scooter comes apart and it can go into a car trunk.

I know you can book ahead with Dial-a-Ride, however they require a 50% non-refundable deposit, which we would lose if I decided I wasn't feeling up to going out for the day.

Also, can you ask the driver to come back to pick you up at a certain time?

Also, by any chance, do any of the taxi's have air conditioning, or are open windows considered air conditioning? :o

thanks

Donna

This link may help you . http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147404-s303/St-Thomas:Caribbean:Public.Transportation.html

Please pay special attention to the section titled "GYPSY TAXIS". Though these are passenger cars these vehicles do not have the required operator licenses and insurance. Therefore not an a good option.

Make certain that the vehicle displays the word "TAXI" imprinted on the license plate.

I am a full time wheelchair user and was in St Thomas last year

if you go straight thru the shops towards the main road there is a taxi stand and a taxi coordinator, she was great, she found me a ford escape that I could get into and my chair was disassembled and put in the back. We went to Coral World & Coki Beach. After they dropped us off the taxi guy introduced us to his man there and he called the same taxi guy to come and pick us up when we were done. I was a little nervous about it but it went smoothly and I plan to do the same thing next time I am there