Is Belize safe?

Forensicmom

Sorry to be asking this but we just booked a RCi for 5 nights in November. It's been over 20+ years since I've been to Mexico. We're excited but nervous because of the negative things I'm reading, especially about Belize. We willbe traveling with our 4 kids (ages 10, 13, 15, 20).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also have no idea what type of excursions to look into. We're not scuba divers or snorkelers but do enjoy the beach.

We were just in Belize mid January. At first, we were signed up to do the cave-tubing through our ship (Carnival Magic). However, about 2 weeks before our trip, I changed that to snorkeling at Sergeant Caye - also through Carnival - mainly because I was afraid the cave tubing might be cold in January.

However, we weren't that impressed with the snorkeling trip. The current was pretty strong where we were, and the reef wasn't that pretty.

After the trip, they brought us back to the ship, and we caught the tender boat in to town & shopped at the pier. There are some nice shops there - enough to keep us busy for a couple of hours before we caught the tender back to the ship.

That said...a couple of our table-mates at dinner that night did take the cave-tubing trip, and said it was great! They said they really enjoyed it. So, we wished we had stuck w/our original plan. I've read reviews on the cavetubing and they were all good. (look up Mitsugirly, and she has a great review of it with pictures in her signature line). It appears to be an excursion that just about any age can enjoy. Mitsugirly has a small daughter, and she was able to do the trip. She took the excursion through a private operator. I know the people at our table took theirs through the ship. The difference was, they said they were in the kind of group that had to put their feet under the person's armpits in front of them to stay connected in the tubes. On the private excursion, they are linked together by hooks, so you don't have to do that. But, our table mates with Carnival said they barely got back in time to meet the last tender to the ship. Of course, the ship waited on them. It is quite a distance inland to do the cavetubing, so whoever you would chose to go with - I would just make sure they are very reputable, as you wouldn't want to miss the ship at this port!

There are other land excursions in Belize, and I think if you choose a reputable operator, or go through your ship, you will be just fine. However, Belize is really not the place to enjoy the beach - at least that is what we experienced. And definitely have a plan - do not just roam Belize on your own. I don't believe that would be a safe idea.

If you are going to Roatan - I would HIGHLY recommend the Beach & Snorkel at Maya Key. The snorkeling there is the most beautiful I have ever seen. They also serve a very good lunch which is included in the price. There is a small zoo there also w/rescued animals. I think Little French Key is similar from what I've read.

I have reviews of what we did in Belize & Roatan both in my signature line also - with pictures.

My husband and I did the cave tubing and ziplining with Carnival. We had lots of fun. The cave tubing was such an original experience and the scenery was beautiful during the ziplining. I would highly recommend both. We felt safe the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the positive responses. We're very excited but now that my daughters, especially my youngest 2 have looked at pictures and read info on the cave tubing, they're terrified of being in the dark caves. They're also scared of snakes, bats, etc. So we're leaning towards the mayan ruins excursions instead of cave tubing.

Belize is safe as long as you don't go roaming around on your own.

Most cruise lines offer a tour that takes you on a boat ride down the river to the ruins. Since you're leaning toward doing a Mayan ruins, this could be an enjoyable way to do it.

Look forward to having a wonderful cruise. :)

LuLu

~~~~

As always use common sense (don't flash your money around, swing your purse around on your pinky finger, lay your phone on the table and go to the bathroom etc.) but Belize is reasonably safe. It gets a very bad rap around here because it isn't whitewashed American tourist like Cozumel. It's an actual place. People here act like the locals are savages or something.

Personally it's one of my favorite ports. I find the people quite friendly and willing to help. Sure there are folks crowded by the gates at the entrance to the port compound. They're there to try to make a living for their families by selling you something...not to beat you to death and mug you.

Don't let the naysayers scare you off. Remember, there's plenty of people around that are afraid to even drive on the interstates. Go and have a good time. Be safe, just as you would at home. From some of the comments I've read here I wonder how a few people even function in their daily lives ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Waterloomarc

We have stopped in Belize twice and both times done Mayan Ruin excursions and I have never felt unsafe at all, and both times we were traveling with our small kids.

The first time we did Altun Ha through Coral Breeze tours on our own instead of the ship, as we had a group of 14 and it saved a lot of $. I was nervous since it was our first time not booking through the cruise line but it was wonderful! We had a great time and learned so much. The guide, Ivar, was knowledgeable, funny and kept us entertained the entire time.

The second time we booked the Lamanai Ruins through NCL, while the ruins were amazing, the large tour group with one kind of dry guide was not as good of an experience.

If you are going to do a ruins tour I highly recommend Altun Ha through Coral Breeze.

Personally, I have never felt unsafe during a stop in Belize. We also do not go wandering around on our own. We book an excursion with a reputable tour operator and leave straight from the port. I recommend visiting a Caye (Caulker, Ambergris, whatever appeals to you) if you enjoy the beach and would like to do something that doesn't involve the more "risky" side of Belize. I think Belize is gorgeous and can't wait to go back. Have fun!

Thanks for the responses. Just to make it clear, I didn't read any negative reviews on this site. It was other google places I saw things. I'm very happy to hear that everyone feels safe. We're so excited to go and are having trying looking at excursions.

All stops are safe if you stay in the tourist district and follow the cruise ship cautions. These ports often rely on cruises for their livelihood and don't want to mess that up. Most stories are of people who go "exploring" where they should not be. I also recommend the cruise excursions. If their bus breaks down, your cruise line will get you back, on your own, you are just that, on your own! Not worth a few bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums