ARCADIA ~ New Years Cruise 2005/2006

KenC

"Amazing how quick people reserve excursions these days - or is it a P&O ploy, or perhaps they don't schedule so many???? Most of the other excursions online quoted less than 20 places left??? Are cruisers so computer literate these days??"

When I was booking for Oceana it seemed to me that ALL the excursions were quotes as 20places or less except wheelchair friendly ones which were 10 places or less.:confused:

I booked my 2 'must dos' immediately and booked the rest (i did one in each port as travelling alone I thought that would be the best way of actually getting me off the ship) 10-7 days before we sailed - at no time was I waitlisted which was a relief.

There also seemed to be plenty of capacity once we had boarded but don't know if that was all excursions. They also kept saying that even on fully booked excursions new spaces might open up - cancellations obviously, but also given enough interest, if they can 'resource it' (ie hire additional buses, guides etc) additional excursions might be added.

Out of curiosity - Does the personaliser allow you to book waitlisted places? If not, perhaps phoning to excursion reservations to express an interest might persuade them to open more places!

One thing to watch is the introduction of new excursions once on the ship which were not available before - e.g. on Oceana dolphin & whale watching was not available prior to the cruise but was on board, but by then I had booked another. They also laid on several additional shopping and beach excusions (shuttles with fixed start and end times really)

The final thing to watch is that they won't let you into your 'online personaliser' in the 5-7 days prior to the cruise - I could understand them not wanting us to change anything in that period, but I liked to go and review what I had booked, that my cabin hadn't changed (I booked guarantee) etc - a sort of security blanket thing!! :D .

Hope you all have good cruises - I just got off last Friday and its been dark, wet and windy ever since (perhaps booking for a return in time for the clocks to go back was not the best idea:) ) - can't book for next year yet so I am just going to have to live off everyone elses excitement :)

Karen

Elaine .... I'm sure we will have a great time - we normally do!!! We loved the layout of Zuiderdam (especially the open decks) so expect to take to Arcadia too. I know what you mean about favourites but there are so many ships out there yet to try !!! I think if we were honest we would still plump for Celebrity Summit as our favourite cruiseship - with QM2 as our favourite liner !!! But, who knows we may be late converts to P&O - and then there's Queen Victoria to look forward to in 2007 and the new Celebrity ship in 2008!!!

Karen .... thinking about it there must be some scheme behind the limited numbers of excursions - can't believe with 1800 pax sailing that there are generally only 20 places left in any one excursion??? Don't think you can waitlist excursions but I wouldn't be surprised if places become available once you are onboard. I know what you mean about checking your booking online - wonder what P&O are like on upgrades, but I guess as we booked one of many balcony cabins late in the day then the scope for upgrages is small! Oh well will be happy with what we chose. How was your cruise???? Have you posted a review???? Hope you enjoy our chatter - feel free to join in!!!

Best wishes

Ken

... How was your cruise???? Have you posted a review???? Hope you enjoy our chatter - feel free to join in!!!

Best wishes

Ken

Ken

I had a great cruise thanks - it was the first time I sailed solo and was a bit aprehensive before boarding, but it was fine (there were problem times when I felt a 'bit left out' but not too many). The weather was reasonable (though it seemed that everytime I got the suncream and towel out the clouds took over:D ) and the tours were good (I learned a lot of geography LOL - tradewinds, volcanos etc).

I always think about doing reviews (& am often writing them in my head as I walk to work etc) but never seem to get round to it. Sometimes it seems, in my vapour version, I am concentrating on the negatives and not the good bits (which I don't seem to have many details of because I was too busy enjoying them:D ), and as I don't want to appear too negative I haven't done it:o.

I visit P+O (& Cunard) on cruise critic most work days (at lunch time of course) - I have a steam driven dialup connection at home and some sites are just too slow to visit regularly - particulary P+O cruise connections! I dont post very often, as I have other boards I have to keep up with :eek: . (Some days it takes most of the hour just to read the We Love Cruising messages!!)

Enjoy your cruise, wish I had another coming up

Karen

Hi all

We are back from our Century caribbean cruise, we had a fantastic time and guess what?? We docked right next to the Arcadia in St Martin! I managed to get some pictures for you which I will download onto cruisemates.com as soon as I get time this weekend, sorry to tease you but we are going out tonight and I just don't have the time right now!

She looked beautiful and I managed to ask a couple of passengers their opinion and they said it is quite understated and contemporary in design, not glitzy but I had gathered that from the photos, the cabins are nice and the food in the dining room is excellent as is the Gary Rhodes restaurant, remember this is just one persons opinion. Paul Daniels was the onboard entertainment! I'm sure they will have someone better for your New Years cruise!!!

A lot of the American passengers on our ship were admiring Arcadia and asking which cruise line she belonged to. We took great delight in telling them we had an aft balcony booked for Xmas 2006 Panama Canal cruise!

Will post the link to the pictuers as soon as I can

Lisa

So glad you a good cruise. I am not a member of cruisemates but will join to have a look at your pic's. Talking of entertainment on our cruise last year we had Isla St. Clair. The poor woman suffered with seasickness so bad she had to carried off the stage half way through her act. She had actually dropped to her knees a one point I have never seen anyone suffer like that before with seasickness. She spent the rest of cruise mainly in her cabin.

Enjoy your night out.

Mel xx

Hi everyone. My hubby and I are on the New Years cruise on the Arcadia. It will be our third cruise with P & O. All our cruises have been New Year ones they are wonderful. Last year we had a deck party to bring the New Year in can’t think of a better way to celebrate. I have been to many of the ports we are going too on this cruise. If I can help with any Questions you may have please ask.

Mel & Rob.

hi mel & rob hope you can help this my first cruise in april out of southampton to the mediterranean have booked a stateroom with balcony starboard side cabin A53 Would welcome all the info you have on the arcadia hope to here from you soon

john&pat

Hi everyone

Here is the link to my Arcadia photos on Cruisemates:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2597

Hope you like them. I took quite a few aft views as we have an aft balcony for next years xmas Panama canal cruise, we were very pleased when we saw them! If you want to enlarge the image just click on it.

Lisa

Positive reviews, Caribbean Island links, photos ... all absolutely fabulous !!! BUT ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Isla St Clair???? Paul Daniels (and I bet he had Debbie McGee with him)???? Tell me it can't happen to us, someone please!!!

Thanks for the pics Lisa - your first pic goes just as far as the balcony next to ours but its still pretty exciting!!! 6 weeks Friday if I'm not mistaken???

Unfortunately we have just learned that the hotel we had booked in Palm Springs over Xmas has been sold and is closing at the end of this month!!!! We stayed there in January and it was the main reason we were going back to Palm Springs. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Regards

Ken

Hi everyone

Here is the link to my Arcadia photos on Cruisemates:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2597

Hope you like them. I took quite a few aft views as we have an aft balcony for next years xmas Panama canal cruise, we were very pleased when we saw them! If you want to enlarge the image just click on it.

Lisa

Wow great photos. We are booked into the Barcelona suite next July!!! Really looking forward to it. Glad the Americans were admiring her. I hope you told them she was owned by P & O (UK subsidiary I guess of Carnival)!!

Elaine

Glad you like the photos. I have added 3 more just now so maybe your balcony cabin will be among them Ken!

Yes Elaine I did tell the Americans it was owned by P&O. I said they are the UK subsidiary of Princess, didn't like to use the C- word (Carnival!).

Of course Debbie Mcgee was there, can you imagine her passing up the chance of a free cruise! I bet she lapped it up!! There has to be some perks for being married to Paul Daniels!!

Hope you get sorted with another hotel Ken, at least you had notice of your closure we didn't find out our pre cruise hotel in Ft Lauderdale was closed due to Hurricane Wilma till we got there!! They had no power so couldn't accept guests, According to Marriott they were open! Never mind it was a bit of an adventure. In the end we were forced to stay a the 5 star Westin Diplomat. Its a hard life!!!

Lisa

Glad you like the photos. I have added 3 more just now so maybe your balcony cabin will be among them Ken!

Yes Elaine I did tell the Americans it was owned by P&O. I said they are the UK subsidiary of Princess, didn't like to use the C- word (Carnival!).

Of course Debbie Mcgee was there, can you imagine her passing up the chance of a free cruise! I bet she lapped it up!! There has to be some perks for being married to Paul Daniels!!

Hope you get sorted with another hotel Ken, at least you had notice of your closure we didn't find out our pre cruise hotel in Ft Lauderdale was closed due to Hurricane Wilma till we got there!! They had no power so couldn't accept guests, According to Marriott they were open! Never mind it was a bit of an adventure. In the end we were forced to stay a the 5 star Westin Diplomat. Its a hard life!!!

Lisa

Lisa

We have been fortunate enough over the years to miss Paul Daniels, although we have had his son Martin on board. He was actually quite funny and doesn't have a squeeky voice like his father!!

Glad you pointed out that she was British (Arcadia that is not Debbie McGee ;) )!!!!

I'm off to look at the photos you've added!!

Elaine

I see that you have signed up to the site I was telling you about. Did you take a look at the wine and cocktail list???

Elaine

Elaine????? wine and cocktails list - you sound like my type of favourite cruise companion!!! (Did you mispost ???LOL)

Lisa - more great pics. Not quite a close up of our balcony but I get the overall effect.

Regards

Ken

hi mel & rob hope you can help this my first cruise in april out of southampton to the mediterranean have booked a stateroom with balcony starboard side cabin A53 Would welcome all the info you have on the arcadia hope to here from you soon

john&pat

Hi John & pat,

Sorry I am late replying to your message I have been away for a few days and just catching up on my messages. First of all congratulations on booking your first cruise You will have a wonderful time I am sure and maybe even get hooked it’s very addictive this cruising game so be warned.

I can’t really talk about the Arcadia first hand because it will be my first cruise on her in the New Year. I will write a report on my return.

I have yet to a cruise around the Med all my cruises have been to the Caribbean so far and all fly cruises out of either Barbarous or Acapulco.

Pat and John if you go to this site http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/welovecruising/ They have many members on their who have done Med cruises on the Arcadia. They are so helpful and a very friendly site.

There is also lovely Elaine who posts on this thread if I needed an answer about anything P & O she would be my port of call.

Hope some of this helps in a small way.

Kind Regards

Mel xx

Elaine????? wine and cocktails list - you sound like my type of favourite cruise companion!!! (Did you mispost ???LOL)

Lisa - more great pics. Not quite a close up of our balcony but I get the overall effect.

Regards

Ken

I must have replied to the wrong thread. How stupid am I???? Please don't answer that Ken!!!!!!

Oh yes, I enjoy a cocktail or two!!!!! Actually since the QM2 I'm more a martini girl nowadays!!!!!!

Elaine

john&pat

Hi John & pat,

Sorry I am late replying to your message I have been away for a few days and just catching up on my messages. First of all congratulations on booking your first cruise You will have a wonderful time I am sure and maybe even get hooked it’s very addictive this cruising game so be warned.

I can’t really talk about the Arcadia first hand because it will be my first cruise on her in the New Year. I will write a report on my return.

I have yet to a cruise around the Med all my cruises have been to the Caribbean so far and all fly cruises out of either Barbarous or Acapulco.

Pat and John if you go to this site http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/welovecruising/ They have many members on their who have done Med cruises on the Arcadia. They are so helpful and a very friendly site.

There is also lovely Elaine who posts on this thread if I needed an answer about anything P & O she would be my port of call.

Hope some of this helps in a small way.

Kind Regards

Mel xx

Many thanks for the compliment Mel!!!!

John and Pat. I have been too visit the Arcadia only. I am not actually cruising on her until July 06, but if you have any questions then fire away. I may be able to help!!!!

Elaine

OK guys .... 6 weeks and counting. Are any of you looking at the Arcadia webcam??? Weather is looking good!!!! We have sorted a replacement hotel in Palm Springs which looks almost as good and is $50 per night cheaper - just have to book the Barbados hotel now and we are all set!!

Elaine .... martinis eh? Afraid they make me legless almost instantly so try to avoid them these days - now offer me a Cosmopolitan????

Talking about cocktails (thank you Elaine) anyone game for a cocktail or two onboard???? (Better not call it a Cruise Critic Party - it is P&O after all!!!!)

Best wishes

Ken

OK guys .... 6 weeks and counting. Are any of you looking at the Arcadia webcam??? Weather is looking good!!!! We have sorted a replacement hotel in Palm Springs which looks almost as good and is $50 per night cheaper - just have to book the Barbados hotel now and we are all set!!

Elaine .... martinis eh? Afraid they make me legless almost instantly so try to avoid them these days - now offer me a Cosmopolitan????

Talking about cocktails (thank you Elaine) anyone game for a cocktail or two onboard???? (Better not call it a Cruise Critic Party - it is P&O after all!!!!)

Best wishes

Ken

Hi Ken,

It would be very nice too meet up. I am meeting up with a few fellow passengers on New Years Eve. We have yet to arrange where and when. If you fancy joining us let me know if not we can arrange another time and place.

Rob and I have also been invited to a renewal of the vows, which will be lovely.

Ken talking about Paul Daniels and Isla St Clair. It could be worse one year it was the Krankie’s.:eek:

Glad you have sorted out your hotel for Palm Springs.

Lisa loved your photo’s thank you for sharing then with us.

All my best

Mel

Hi All

Glad you liked the photos, we certainly had a birds eye view of Arcadia from the top deck of the Century.

Another tip I can pass on to you is about St Lucia. Definitely do an excursion as the town of Castries where the ship docks is not exactly the nicest place to spend a few hours! We did a taxi tour of the mains sights of the island including the Pitons,the volcano, botanical gardens etc. and we are very glad that we did. Our friends dicided to walk round Castries and found it to be a bit hostile in areas. In fact we were quite surprised to find St Lucia is such a poor country with high unemployment and drug problems. Certainly not the impression you get from the glossy travel brochures.

Thats an advantage about crusing though, if you are having a bad day on shore you always have the sanctuary of your ship to return to!

Lisa

Best wishes

Ken

Cosmopolitans are my daughters tipple. I loved the peach martinis on QM2!!!!! Sometimes though they were stronger than others!!!!!

Glad your all sorted with your hotel in Palm Springs. Looks like the hurricane may have done you a favour saving you money!!!!!!

Anyway, whilst I'm on Oriana I'll raise a glass to absent friends (with my martini) and think of all of you on the Arcadia as I won't be able to make it to your little party!!

Elaine

Mel

It would be great to meet for a drink - maybe after the New Years Eve stuff is over??? Didn't realise you knew other people sailing. Perhaps Little Annie is game for a drink???? Can't remember who else is going - will have to scan through the first pages to remind myself!!! Haven't heard what time we are supposed to board - but would sure like to make it before 5.30!!! Wonder what time the coaches arrive from the airport?

Sorry Mel ..... but I LOVE the Krankies (or I did when I was a kid - are they still alive???)

Elaine

I worry about you .... Palm Springs - hurricane???

Best wishes

Ken

Archived