ARCADIA ~ New Years Cruise 2005/2006

KenC

Hi Ken

Nice to see you here on the P & O page too!!

Arcadia is a lovely ship. Have had the opportunity to view her before her naming ceremony!!

She is obviously smaller than the QM2. I hope that you will not find this disappointing. My favourite ship to date is Aurora. Now whether that will change after my trip on the QM2 in Sept remains to be seen!!

P & O passengers are probably not much different to the Cunard passenger when it comes to the dress code. Speaking personally I always stick to the dress code of the day. But like the passengers on Cunard not everyone adheres to the dress code but on P & O they will not let you into certain bars if you are not in the dress code of the day!!

The staff and crew on the ships are superb!! Most of the staff are either Goan or Philipino!! And they are very friendly!! I suppose as we tend to do the longer cruises it helps if you get on with your waiter and room steward!!

Well look forward to your opinions on the QM2 since your last visit on her. You are off on her on the 2nd Sept aren't you. I believe that Carly Simon (killing me softly) will be doing a concert on board. How brill will that be???

Elaine

What a coincidence that you were also on the Aurora over christmas/new year, before that cruise the only other P&O I'd been on was a four nighter on the Orianna to Amsterdam and Guernsey, I've also been back on Auroroa this year in May for another four nighter, I have a short cruise every year now with my sisters and some girl friends we always have a great time, have booked P&O Orianna again for next year for this trip. Do you always go on a cruise for christmas? I am starting to think about christmas 2006 ,have you seen anything interesting ?.

What a coincidence that you were also on the Aurora over christmas/new year, before that cruise the only other P&O I'd been on was a four nighter on the Orianna to Amsterdam and Guernsey, I've also been back on Auroroa this year in May for another four nighter, I have a short cruise every year now with my sisters and some girl friends we always have a great time, have booked P&O Orianna again for next year for this trip. Do you always go on a cruise for christmas? I am starting to think about christmas 2006 ,have you seen anything interesting ?.

Hi

Well I don't know about you but I didn't even realise that there was anything wrong with Aurora!! If my son hadn't of had an exam on the Monday (we should have docked Sunday morning instead of Sunday night) then I would have happily stayed on board instead of driving home through the night. We have done the christmas cruise barring 1 now since Millenium on the Oriana. A tad on the expensive side but well worth it. I will certainly remember what I was doing at the turn of the century and will be telling my grandkids when they arrive!!!!! At only 44 I'm hoping I've still got a while before I tell this tale!! We are booked on the Oriana for this xmas and Aurora xmas 2006. Going on Arcadia next July too!! I'm hoping I like QM2 so much that I want to go on her again too!!!!!

Elaine

What a coincidence that we were on the Auroroa at the same time, do you always go away for for christmas ? we tend to go every other year, I am starting to look for christmas 2006 I know it's best to book early for this time of year.

The Aurora cruise last year was my second cruise with P&O before that I'd just done a short trip( 4 nights) on Orianna and I've done another short trip on the Aurora again since then, every year I take one of the short cruises with my sisters and some girl friends we have a great time, we are booked to go back on Oriana in May for 4 nights, it's realy easy for us to get to Southampton we get a low cost flight from Newcastle.

Have you been to Accapulco or Costa Rica before.

Have you been to Accapulco or Costa Rica before.

As much as I would love to go to these places, no I haven't!! I don't like flying so only tend to cruise to and from Southampton. Maybe when I'm old and grey hubby and I will get to see some more exotic places on a world cruise!!

Elaine

Hi Elaine

its a pleasure to have such a prolific poster on our thread!!! A bit more peaceful here than on Cunard don't you think? I get so wound up with the crusty old Cunard posters who won't have a word said against QE2 and think any change is like the end of the world. The arrogance of some of the comments about Cunard captains was breathtaking!

Anyway - I'm sure you are going to love QM2 if its anywhere as impressive as it was last year. I've seen and been on many ships but nothing prepared me for the grandeur of QM2. There is so much eye to detail in all the finishes, so much lovely design - it makes QE2 look like a channel ferry! We also went through a force 8 gale in the Bay of Biscay at 25 knots and she rides the waves like nothing I've experienced before. I tell you, after two crossings and a Canadian cruise, you are not going to want to get off! We are on the 8 September sailing to NYC so we will miss Carly Simon.

Am sure we will love Arcadia too, as I said before we loved Zuiderdam which is basically the same layout minus the restaurant and bar they have plonked on top (this was going to be the Queen's Grill on Queen Victoria).

Wish we could do Xmas cruises every year - we have tried a couple but they were so full of teens who just didn't want to be there (dragged along by selfish parents) and turned nuisance value into an art form, that we decided never again. Maybe the P&O no kids ships will be the answer!!!! Its also difficult to get away from the hotel - depends on having dependable staff (and we don't). This year we are risking being away over Xmas again but are spending it in Palm Springs which we discovered last January.

Best wishes

Ken

Hi everyone. My hubby and I are on the New Years cruise on the Arcadia. It will be our third cruise with P & O. All our cruises have been New Year ones they are wonderful. Last year we had a deck party to bring the New Year in can’t think of a better way to celebrate. I have been to many of the ports we are going too on this cruise. If I can help with any Questions you may have please ask.

Mel & Rob.

Hi Mel and Rob

Good to hear we have two more CC's onboard. Good to know we can pick your brains about ports of call too!!! Have never done a new year cruise before so we are really looking forward to the experience. I guess it doesn't get much better than a sailaway from Acapulco.

Inevitable question - which dinner sitting are you on? As you may have read, some of us are on first and don't want to be!!!! Any experience of changing seatings on board your previous P&O cruises?

Regards

Ken

Hi Mel and Rob

Good to hear we have two more CC's onboard. Good to know we can pick your brains about ports of call too!!! Have never done a new year cruise before so we are really looking forward to the experience. I guess it doesn't get much better than a sailaway from Acapulco.

Inevitable question - which dinner sitting are you on? As you may have read, some of us are on first and don't want to be!!!! Any experience of changing seatings on board your previous P&O cruises?

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken.

I ‘m exactly on second sitting, which has been confirmed, on my booking form. I booked this cruise on the 28 June 04 which was pretty early so have been lucky enough to get our preferred sitting. Last year a couple on our dinning table were able to change to second sitting from first. They went to see the MD has soon has they boarded. It would be well worth a try.

Sail away from Acapulco is magical there is a steel band playing, champagne and streamers. The bay is lit up light a Christmas tree I think you all will love it.

Oh roll on New Year.

Regards

Mel & Rob.

Hi Mel & Rob

Thanks - that's very encouraging news about changing dinner sittings. Wow, you did book early!!! Didn't realise they were even taking bookings for Arcadia that long ago. Have you cruised with any other lines?

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken

I have tried on several occasions to reply to this message, but each time the screen freezes. So here we go another try!!

3 Weeks Monday and we will be heading down to Southampton. The weeks are going pretty quickly (thankfully)!!

Well I have P & O experience and you have QM2 experience!!!!

I know what you mean about kids being dragged along. We drag ours along because we feel that xmas is a family thing!! We are doing adult only in July on Arcadia and I insisted that they come on the QM2 with us to the US as it really will be a trip of a lifetime for me anyway!! Were going to have a great time I'm sure. They have grown up cruising and actually both admit it's a great way to travel. My son is now 19 and my daughter will be 22 in Oct. Plenty of time for them not to come with us when they have families of their own, so I make the most of them whilst I can!! They have both done some stupid things (don't we all, it's all part of the learning curve), but they are good kids and make me proud!!

I want your advise on a dress query!! My husband has both black dinner suit and he also has a cream jacket to make a black and white dinner suit. On the Cunard thread they are saying that the white jackets should not be worn on a crossing!! Maybe in the caribbean or med but not on a transatlantic. Do you think my husband will be out of place in his cream dinner jacket:confused:

Well let's see if this message freezes or whether it posts. Going to copy and paste now!!

Elaine

Hi Elaine

Yes it has come around quick, we are off two weeks TODAY - and we are so looking forward to it. We are going with my sister and a cousin (both retired ladies - much older than me would you believe?) and we are looking forward to seeing their faces because, no matter what they say on the Cunard thread, QM2 does blow you away whatever ships you have been on before.

Your kids are hardly kids anymore - it must be more like having friends with you which is cool. The kids we saw were 12 to 15, high on 'ecstasy' and trying every which way to get into the night club and buy drinks. Unbelievable but true! That's NCL for you - I guess that's what they mean by freestyle????

With regard your husband's white dj - we aren't taking our white dj's on the transatlantic. The original usage of white was for the tropics and OK, although things are more relaxed these days, personally it does seem a little out of place to me for the North Atlantic in September. Having said that, there probably will be a few white dj's on formal nights so he wouldn't be the only one wearing one if he chose to do so. As you are not flying, it does no harm for you to take it just in case - perhaps you could send one of your children on a recce to check that others are wearing white before he decides whether to emerge wearing it????? It all adds to the fun really - I don't believe in all this starchy stuff they write on the Cunard board. We love dressing up but you have to be comfortable with who you are and where you are as well!

Once this transatlantic is over then we can start planning in earnest for Arcadia.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Ken

Hi Mel & Rob

Thanks - that's very encouraging news about changing dinner sittings. Wow, you did book early!!! Didn't realise they were even taking bookings for Arcadia that long ago. Have you cruised with any other lines?

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

I have only sailed with P & O but I would like to try another cruise line. I was thinking about trying Celebrity. I see you have been on the Millennium. The reviews I have read about her on this site are very favourable. So any tips and thoughts about Celebrity and the Millennium would be most welcome. Just been browsing the P & O web site I see they have a new excursion page with all the new Caribbean tours listed. I know you can book your excursions on the web now. I think it’s about 90 days before we travel they list them in your Cruise Personaliser. I think this is a great idea. Gives us a better chance of getting on the tours of our choice. Right off now to do a bit more browsing around the Caribbean:)

Hi Mel

we loved Celebrity - have been on Summit and Millennium. They are probably at the top of the pile at the moment (of the large cruise lines that is). All of the Millenium class have a superb speciality 'liner' restaurant onboard - (Normandie on Summit and Olympic on Millennium) which are possibly the best restaurants we have eaten anywhere!

Would also recommend any of the RCI Radiance class (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel) - very close to Celebrity but the ships are a bit more glitzy!!! We would love to do another trip on either line but we have done most of the areas in their itineraries so are looking for something different. The Far East and Asia really appeals but the choices are so limited, especially when we don't want to go with Princess again for a while.

Hadn't even thought about excursions yet for Arcadia - are there any that you would highly recommend? We usually only go on a couple where there is a lot to see in a little time, for the rest we just go ashore and have a wander or find a beach (if you go to St Thomas - highly recommend getting a taxi to Magens Bay for a few hours, the beach and the trip are out of this world!).

I'm rambling now! In holiday mood but stuck here in Brighton on a Bank Holiday weekend with a hotel full of guests having a good time - oh well my turn soon!

Regards

Ken

Elaine - there have been so many questions about correct dress on these and other boards. My advice as one who has sailed Cunard, P&O and a few others is, dont worry about it. I take the gear I need to conform. If I had a white jacket I would wear it, and yes there are many worn on crossings.

I noticed that the men were from smart up to peacock, and the ladies from dowdy to gorgeous (this was in the dining room, outside we found, at least on the NY to Soton. section, it was street level NY) Relax and do your thing. You will turn some heads.

I will be very interested to hear your comments on the food Cunard v P&O. We found this was the one big no no with P&O when we were on Oriana a couple of years ago. Against Cunard thy have a problem. I hope this has improved, and hey Ken you are sailing P&O and know Cunard well. And a bit about food too no doubt so maybe you could fill in re P&O food on your return.

Wish I was there. Our next is South America on QE2 in November, if she manages to battle down that far.

Have wonderful cruises.

David.

Hi David

I'm sure Elaine will be eloquent in her comparison of P&O to Cunard food, service, ships, in fact everthing - before we sail in December. So we will know exactly what to expect. Can P&O food be that bad???? Only had one or two bad meals on QM2 maiden voyage, but assume the problems causing them have now been sorted, and anyway the ship is so amazing that the odd duff meal isn't the end of the world. Only eaten in Princess Grill on QE2 where food was excellent, but not so wonderful that it made up for the inadequacies of the ship. Wonder how typical Arcadia is compared to the older ships???

Hope you make South America and back safely!!!!!

Regards

Ken

Hi guys

I have cruised with P & O now for approx 15 years. I cannot recall ever having any problems with our meals (you read all kinds of differing reports but I suppose it's all a case of personal taste and expectations)!! I had occasion once to complain about a piece of steak that was very tough, but generally the standard is pretty good. We have dined in the princess grill on QE2. My husband thought the food was better than P & O (well you could ask for specials which I suppose was a plus against P & O), but I felt that the meals were very similar in quality. You don't get the maitre D cooking the flambe cherries or the steak diane next to your table, so that ambience was missing!! However when they do have cherries jubilee a chef comes out with his bottle of spirits and lights it at your table. Don't really like them so I have not had that pleasure. Xmas day you can have your xmas pudding soaked in brandy and set alight. Personally I find it too strong and opt not to have it!! I am really looking forward to the QM2 and the date is getting closer and closer. On my return I will post my comments and although I shall try not to compare with P & O I will find it very difficult not to!! I am hoping though that the experience will be something really special. Chose QM2 over Oriana for the US trip because we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and wanted something just that little bit extra special. I hope QM2 lives up to my expectations. Ken I hope you have a great trip. Will you be back before I leave??? David, thanks for the advice on the white jacket. No flying involved so the amount of luggage we take is no object. No harm in packing it!!

Elaine

Hi ken,

Sorry I have not replied earlier I have been away for a few days over the bank holiday and just getting back into the swing of things at work.

Hope you have recovered for what sounds like a hectic Bank Holiday in Brighton.

Here are some of the excursions I have been on and would recommend.

Punt Arenas - Costa Rica. Last year we did the Corobici River Raft. It was excellent and great fun the rapids are only grade 1 or 2 depending on the rainfall so it’s all quite safe. You will get soaked and bumped about a bit all part of the fun. I have never laughed so much in all my life. You also get treated to a lovely Costa Rican lunch. I will be booking this excursion again this year.

St. Lucia We went on the whale and dolphin-watching trip on the Free Willy boat. Which takes you 3 miles off the coast. We never got to see any whales but saw loads of lovely dolphins. You are given refreshments on broad some people got a little bit tipsy on the free rum punch I was a good girl and just had fruit juice. One tip I have for anyone considering this trip if you are prone to seasickness than it is advisable to take appropriate medication about an hour before you go. The sea does get quite choppy and a few people were caught out with seasickness or was it rum punch sickness.

Acapulco I am booking to see the Cliff Divers. Even though I have been Acapulco before. We arrived at about 11pm there time. We sailed away was just after midnight. So not much time to see anything.

Other ports I have been too:

San Juan Del Sur - Nicaragua.

Barbados.

Curacao.

Transited the Panama Canal.

If anyone has any questions about these ports I will be glad to answer them.

Regards

Mel

PS Elaine have a wonderful cruise on the QM2 really looking forward too reading your report on your return.

PS Elaine have a wonderful cruise on the QM2 really looking forward too reading your report on your return.

Hi Mel

Certainly will. Having people for dinner this weekend and then I'll be getting the suitcases down ready to pack!!!! Kids will be sick to death of hearing me say don't wear that if you don't need to, so that I'm not ironing right up to the last minute!!

2 weeks on Monday (say it like that as it sounds closer) Southampton here we come!!!!!!!

Getting really excited about it all now!!

Still look in on CC on the P & O site, but get very frutstrated with the speed. Took me 20 minutes to read 2 messages last night!! I'll perservere though!!

But rest assured you will hear all about my trip!

Elaine

Elaine,

Is it really only Two weeks to go for your cruise? It seems like only yesterday that you mentioned it on CC. Time really does fly by fast.

You sound just like me. I iron everything up before a holiday than ban hubby and Robbie (Son) from wearing anything.

My brother is booked on the QM2 next year. He is best man at his ex girlfriends wedding she lives in New York. He will not fly I think going over on the QM2 is the best option. I wish he would take me with him. So if you have any tips when you get back they will be gratefully received.

I still go into CC but I know what you mean it’s just so slow. I typed up a message last night went to post it and the whole site went down. I will try later today.

Right better get back to work the boss (hubby) is hovering over my shoulder:).

Regards

Mel

Hi Mel

Thanks for the advise on excursions - it sounds like you like them 'wild and wet', any more sedate suggestions????? We are arriving in Acapulco the night before embarkation and hoping to get onboard as soon as possible to make the most of our time there - I guess the cliff diving is a must. Have you ever stayed on Barbados? We are staying on for 6 days after the cruise and are having trouble making up our minds on the best place to stay. The Fairmont Royal Pavilion looks wonderful but appears to be fully booked for 1 or 2 nights during our stay.

Elaine - we are off on Thursday!!!! Will take good care not to damage anything onboard before your turn!!!! Afraid we don't get back in the country until 21 September so won't be able to pass on any last minute info, but I'm sure you are going to have an amazing trip.

All the best

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ken,

Hope you had an amazing crossing and all is well.

I left posting this until you where home.

I have only stayed in Barbados once that was about ten years ago, The Hotel we stayed in was the Haywood’s Resort and it was fantastic in my opinion. It is now called the Almond Beach club and Spa. It may be worth a look. I have heard about the Fairmont Royal Pavilion a friend of mine has stayed there and she would highly recommend it shame that it’s fully booked. Anyway good luck with your hotel search.

Mel

Archived