Sunshine Cruise Review 2/9/14-2/16/14 with pictures! (Western Caribbean)

Ciardasully

Bryon played Blackjack and I lost some money in the quarter push machine.

I went to browse the fun shops but didn't buy anything.

IMG_3978.jpg

Then I remembered it was the Chocolate Buffet. Bryon was still gambling and he is not a fan of chocolate anyway so I went.

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

I met Bryon back in the room and we went to lunch. (I know backwards)

I wanted Cucina del Capitano and Bryon decided to try Ji-Ji.

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

The buzzer.

IMG_3991.jpg

Chicken alfredo. Yummy.

IMG_3993.jpg

Bryon's lunch. Except the cook was a little too generous with the hot sauce and Bryon couldn't eat it. And remember, Bryon has a high tolerance to spice. So be careful!

IMG_3996.jpg

We went to the last installment of Red Frog trivia and sadly we came in second but we still won medals and a Del Sol bag. The answer that will forever haunt me is "Bhutan."

IMG_3997.jpg

We said good-bye to our friends and trivia partners.

IMG_3998.jpg

We went to a ship life Q & A with Butch and John Heald.

IMG_4000.jpg

John Heald is just as hysterical in person as he is on his blog.

IMG_4001.jpg

We stayed for Bingo. I didn't win that but I was $1.

IMG_4004.jpg

We did most of our packing earlier in the day.

We went to dinner shortly after it opened at 5:45. We wanted to get to the 7:15 showing of Epic Rock. We were seated at a two person table right next a couple from Louisiana who were really nice.

I totally forgot to take photos. I know Bryon had mac and cheese for an appetizer and the prime rib for dinner. I had the chicken and mushroom fettuccine for an appetizer and the mac and cheese for dinner.

I ordered warm chocolate melting cake and Bryon ordered coffee. His coffee came but after 25 minutes, my wcmc had not. We did not want to miss the early showing of Epic Rock so we left. I was disappointed but oh well.

Epic Rock was great. It was by far the best playlist production I had seen.

We went to Alchemy to say our good-byes to Ioana. :(

We spent the rest of the evening at the piano bar but no photos. :( I was not on the ball this evening.

We grabbed one last pizza and then it was bedtime.

IMG_4005.jpg

Sunday Morning- Debarkation. :(

Norwegian Jewel, we meet again.

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

We had zone 4 and got some breakfast on Lido and ate it in the Havana Bar. It was quite awhile. A lot of people were self-assist disembarking. I noticed most of the people we met lived within driving distance so it would make sense that they would want to get on their way home.

Tip #8. In New Orleans, a lot of people drive to the port (at least from our experience) so self-assist may take awhile. Get some breakfast and enjoy.

Number 4 was called. Now in Miami, our luggage was one a carousel. In New Orleans it was spread in over three rooms, organized by zone. Just something to think about if you are used to sailing out of Miami. (We will call this Tip #9)

Customs was a breeze and we got on a taxi and off to the airport we were.

Neither Bryon nor I can handle eating sushi but Bonsai Sushi looked adorable and not that busy except for Friday, Valentine's Day. It looked like a fun experience and it made me wish I could eat sushi but I have tried many times and just can't do it. :(

Here is a pic of the menu for those who do like sushi.

IMG_3965.jpg

And that's it. I am sad the review is over because it means my vacation is truly over. Thank you so much for reading.

Bryon and I are here if anyone has questions. We will be happy to answer them.

Loved your review and i'm sad it's over also! Will be sailing Sunshine in May... so Thank You!!!;)

I just discovered your review and thoroughly enjoyed it! Bourbon Street and the street photo in Montego Bay do make them appear pretty sleazy and not anywhere I'd like to walk around. Your food and drink photos were great! Thank you for a wonderful review!

Glad you found me and glad you enjoyed the review! :)

Bourbon Street was a place that one has to be very careful but I will say when Bryon and I were driving to Port on Sunday morning, we saw lots of lots of street cleaners cleaning up the French Quarter. And, in person, there is a lot of pretty architecture in the French Quarter. I think I have a pic of the Sunday Morning aftermath on my phone that I will put on here tonight. There was some good people watching but like I said, you need to be very careful. I went there 7 years ago and loved it. This time, we left when it got dark and I am not sure I would go there when it's dark again. I guess I am getting old. :eek: Daytime and that is it.

Montego Bay, yeah, didn't feel like a safe place at all. We didn't get out of the car at all. We did speak to one woman from our ship who went up to walk around downtown and she said she got harassed. I just don't understand the logic of harassing people to buy things. Maybe some people give in but I think it turns most people off. I am not sure I would get off the ship if I were to cruise to Jamaica again.

If you don't mind me asking, was there an age limit on the brewery tour in Grand Cayman? My husband really wants to do it and we will have our 3yo with us. Hubby is the only one who drinks, but I wasn't sure if they would let me carry our 3yo through the tour. I would like to do the tour too and I know a lot of parents go to shore and leave their kids in Camp Carnival, but I'm just not comfortable leaving little man on the ship while we go to shore.

If you don't mind me asking, was there an age limit on the brewery tour in Grand Cayman? My husband really wants to do it and we will have our 3yo with us. Hubby is the only one who drinks, but I wasn't sure if they would let me carry our 3yo through the tour. I would like to do the tour too and I know a lot of parents go to shore and leave their kids in Camp Carnival, but I'm just not comfortable leaving little man on the ship while we go to shore.

I don't think it would be an issue. But I am not sure on the local liquor laws. I would shoot them an email at info@cib.ky to be sure.

The tour goes through all the areas of the brewery which are industrial, including the bottling area which could have broken glass on the floor. So you may want to be prepared to carry your 3yo, or have a tight grip on him during the tour.

I don't think it would be an issue. But I am not sure on the local liquor laws. I would shoot them an email at info@cib.ky to be sure.

The tour goes through all the areas of the brewery which are industrial, including the bottling area which could have broken glass on the floor. So you may want to be prepared to carry your 3yo, or have a tight grip on him during the tour.

Thank you so much for the quick reply! It's good to know that the tour goes through all of the areas we would love to see. I will send them an email and see what they say. Thank you so much for the great information!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on this cruise as well as the next one (the Bloggers Cruise). We also did progressive trivia and sat between your team and the small stage at the Red Frog Pub, we were team B&L. We are friends with Butch (and John H.) so have a different opinion of Butch, but as you say to each his own. We are not foodies, but your pictures of the food were great in that each dish filled the frame well. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Thanks for the detailed review. I have a couple of questions about the piano bar. Is it non smoking inside and can you name a few songs that were played? I'm curious what type of music is played.

Thank you in advance.

Kirsten

Edited by packard89

Great review! Thanks for writing it. I know that it is not easy to take the time out of your vacation and take notes and pictures for everyone else's enjoyment. You are a dear for doing this. Thanks again……

Thank you for the kind words.

I am happy to do this. I enjoy reading other people's reviews especially before my first cruise. I like to pay it forward. :)

Loved your review! Who was the piano man? It has been so long since we enjoyed a good piano bar! Looks like the Sunshine had an awesome one.

Thank you so much! I am glad you liked the review.

The piano man is named Ben Gentry. This is his public facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/bengentrythepianoman

He just left the Sunshine though and will starting up on the Breeze.

He was definitely part piano man, part comedian.

Thanks for the detailed review. I have a couple of questions about the piano bar. Is it non smoking inside and can you name a few songs that were played? I'm curious what type of music is played.

Thank you in advance.

Kirsten

Ben the piano man has moved to the Breeze so I am not sure what the new piano man will be like.

Piano Bar 88 had a book with popular piano bar songs and they give you slips of paper. Ben pretty much knew everything. We even had him playing Ice Ice Baby and Spice Girls. As far as the music, it kind of depends on what kind of crowd is in there that night. Some things are always requested like Sweet Caroline, Some Elton John, Some Journey, Great Balls of Fire. I am blanking. Bryon might be able to elaborate more on this. One night we had people like Country and then another night the audience booed at Country. So it kind of depends on the crowd.

I hope that at least sort of answers your question.