Magic Ride to Belize

Alley1908

This June I will be cruising on the Lovely Magic to Belize and Mahogany Bay for the first time and I need some help in determining what to do in these ports. Specifically Excursions that involve water activities, open bar, and perhaps food either for purchase or included in a package.. What are your experiences in these ports? what excursions did you absolutely LOVE or HATE??

In Roatan, it will be very tempting to just stay at the manmade beach right next to the ship. But I will beg you not to do that! Roatan is one of the most beautiful islands in the entire Caribbean. It would be a shame to miss out on it and settle for a beach day that you could have anywhere else. There are several great independent tour companies that you can book an island tour through. We used Victor Bodden, and each party gets their own driver for the day. You pick the activities. They have recommendations, but you pick what you want, and skip what you don't, and they can even do more than what is listed. Prices are very reasonable. Now, it's probably around $100 for a party of 3. It was $90 when we did it. We added on a glass bottom boat snorkel excursion for $15 each, and it was just us 3 plus our guides on the boat. Best snorkeling I've ever seen! At the beach off the west end of the island, it was among the best off-the-beach snorkeling I've ever seen. (fyi, the ship docks on the other side of the island, so no good snorkeling at the manmade beach.) We got to see so much of this beautiful island. Tied with St. Kitts for the best island tour I've ever had anywhere. Honestly, we were having such a great time, that we never even thought of food, but there was food/drink for purchase at the beach.

Belize was not as great of a stop. We did a Carnival tour to Altun Ha Mayan ruins. I've seen better, but it was still good. We got to climb to the top of one of the large structures. The bus ride each way was very long, and what we passed by didn't look that pretty. Belize is a very long tender ride in from the ship, and typically, Carnival excursions get to go first. So if you're not booked with them, it may be a few hours before you get on a tender. If I ever return to Belize, I'll probably look for some type of beach excursion through the ship. You'll pay more than you will in Roatan, and it won't be nearly as good, but it's a good way to go with Belize.

In Roatan, we did a catamaran snorkel and Gumbalimba Park. It was gorgeous and fun.

Belize was amazing! We got on a boat right at the port and went out to Shark/Ray Alley with the Hammerhead boat crew. It was the most amazing snorkel experience, and we have done a few. Then they took us to a little Caye for some lunch and then we had time to explore. We never saw the crazy side of Belize and was beyond thrilled. It was probably one of my favorite excursions ever if not, THE favorite. It was booked through Coral Breeze, but it was a Hammerhead boat. However, I have heard that Coral doesn't use Hammerhead anymore and that Coral Breeze has gone downhill. Belize is definitely a must do if you go the water route!

Im so glad that you guys have shared your past cruise wisdom with us!! My last resort was just to go to the beach closets to the ship and have a beach day... I'm definitely looking more into the private excursions now.. I was a little hesitant as many people have said how dangerous these places are and we should stick to carnival excursions for safety.. I definitely want the best bang for my buck and the most memorable experience ever!! Do either one of these companies have a website? Was the food included or separate?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As attested to by many, Victor Bodden is hard to beat. You book on line and pay nothing up front..We have been to Roatan several times, and it is island you need to explore. It is hard to see the west end and the more untraveled east end on the same trip. West Bay beach area is about as pretty as you will find, and a cab will cost you about as much as a private tour, and then you have your driver for the day , and can do as you please. They know the island and will have good suggestions. Rony and Christopher are good also..We have done the island tour, been to West Bay, West end, and East end , Punta Gorda , Oakridge, done a mangrove tour with a local our driver got for us..If you like beer have the driver stop at a convenience store where a Port Royal or Salva Vida is about a buck..We will be there again March 19 and are going top Turquoise Bay resort..No entrance fee and they take us back and forth for $25 PP...Enjoy Roatan..here are Victor's and Turquoise Bay links..

http://boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/cruise-ship-beach-day.html

SANY1868.jpg

how to screen capture

SANY1875.jpg

free image hosting

SANY1909.jpg

free screen capture software

SANY1878.jpg

pc screenshot

SANY2343.jpg

greenshot download

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pictures, overthehill!

I second the motion to go with Victor Bodden. We enjoyed ourselves so much in 2012, we went with him again last week. Our tour guide, Elyn Woods, was great!

About Belize, I fulfilled a long held desire to visit the Belize Zoo. It's a wonderful place with a great story behind it. Please google it and see if it's to your liking. You'll see all the animals and plants indigenous to Central America and the animals are so well-cared for. You can book your tour through Carnival and have a little time for shopping before hopping back on the tender.