Carry on or check luggage?

allilivesay

Which do you prefer and why? I hear of you carry your own luggage on and don't let them check it, you go right to your cabin. Is this true? If so, I wouldn't rather do that and have access to our cabin. Went on a cruise 2 years ago and can't remember how we did it then. I do plan on taking a regular roll bag and a carry on for wine/swimsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have priority check-in from being platinum, having FTTF, or being in a suite, then you can go straight to your room. Otherwise, the rooms don't open until about 1:30.

I have carried all my luggage on with me before. It's nice to not have to wait & worry. My luggage tag got ripped off one time, and it was a miracle that I stumbled upon it by guest services. And the only way it could have been ripped off is with a tool, and yet it was gone. Carry-on bags for cruises do not have to be the same size as airplane carry-ons. They can be larger. Some ports will say that 24" long is the limit, while other ports don't care how long it is, just as long as the height & width will fit through the scanner. If you stick with a couple 24" long rolling suitcases, you should be fine. If rooms aren't ready, find a spot on the lido deck, take turns getting food, & just relax until rooms are ready.

I always carry on my luggage. Then again I know to only bring a 21 inch wheel on because since I was 18 I have travelled extensively and for 3 weeks at a time and know you can be properly clothed with the stuff that fits in a 21 inch roll on.

My 4 daughters and dh understand this as well.

I check my 28" bag and carry on my rolling carryon. My bigger bag is too big to carry on, but I have zero desire to anyway.

Plus, your cabin will only be ready when you board if you board late or have FTTF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thank y'all. I didn't know that the cabin wouldn't be ready till 130. I think I will let them deal with it and bring it to me!

To me that is much easier, I don't want to have the hassle of dragging a suitcase with me even though I have FTTF for my upcoming cruise. Just make sure your tags are on well and you shouldn't have any problems with receiving your luggage.

Which do you prefer and why? I hear of you carry your own luggage on and don't let them check it, you go right to your cabin. Is this true? If so, I wouldn't rather do that and have access to our cabin. Went on a cruise 2 years ago and can't remember how we did it then. I do plan on taking a regular roll bag and a carry on for wine/swimsuit.

If you carry on your own luggage, you get to tote it around until they allow you to go to your cabin. (Depending on when you board the ship, this might be immediate. But if you board early, you can be toting for a while.

After saying all of that, some people may have been able to go to their rooms early. (Platinum & First to the fun "FTTF" purchasers can without questions, others do it without bothering to even wonder if it interferes with the preparation of your room.)

Before anyone considers carrying on their luggage, be advised that they may be carrying, pushing or pulling their luggage through crowds of people, standing in long queue lines, up/down elevators and escalators, convoluted gangway ramps, long hallways, uneven surfaces, etc.

Ok thank y'all. I didn't know that the cabin wouldn't be ready till 130. I think I will let them deal with it and bring it to me!

Just a little heads up...cabins are not always ready for you to enter at exactly 1:30p. I've been on cruises where we got the "all clear" a little earlier and sometimes a little later. 1:30p is just when it is "most often" ready. So, don't expect that right at 1:30p you're going to be able to just walk to your cabin. It all depends on how busy the staff is.

I always check my 29" bag and carry on a 21" roll-aboard and a large tote. That's because we take water, wine, soda, etc. on board in our roll-aboard. All travel document, medications, and jewelry...basically anything I can't live without...goes into my tote.

We always head to the Lido Deck and grab a table either inside or outside and settle in until the all clear is given to head to the cabins. We take turns watching the luggage and going to get food, going to the restroom, or just walking around and checking things out. This has been our MO for years and years.

Edited by mousey

We check everything except my purse. I fill it with my medicines and anything else we absolutely need. Everything else will be delivered to the room. For us I can't see paying for FTTF to get into our room early. We're fine hitting the buffet and having a few cocktails. We usually embark between noon and 1:00 and finally head to the room around 3ish.

I find it makes for a more relaxing start to my vacation the less I have to haul around :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your baggage must all be the correct carry-on size in order to carry it on yourself - otherwise it must be checked.

You can only go right to your cabin if you arrive after 1:30pm; purchase FTTF; hold platinum status or have a suite booked.

We were so frazzled from the mis direction at the port a couple weeks ago that we walked in with both our carry on and other luggage piece. It is a larger I think 28" suitcase and the woman said it was no problem and went through the scanner with ease.

Maybe if they are super busy they dont allow this but it was first thing in the morning and there was hardly anyone there. We had FTTF so of course it was nice that we could take the large bag directly up to our room once we boarded.

Your baggage must all be the correct carry-on size in order to carry it on yourself - otherwise it must be checked.

You can only go right to your cabin if you arrive after 1:30pm; purchase FTTF; hold platinum status or have a suite booked.

Suite pax need to wait til all the cabins open unless they've purchased FTTF or are Platinum/Diamond.

Only suite perks are priority embark and debark.

We prefer to carry it on.

Edited by SadieN

It depends on the length of the cruise but I always try to carry on my own luggage. I had a cabin mate once that didn't receive his luggage until well after dinner (late seating) and he was stressing the entire time... I don't mind toting around my own bags... no big deal for me :) Most of the time, I get on the ship around the same time the rooms open up anyways so I don't have my bags for long... but to each their own...

We always head to the Lido Deck and grab a table either inside or outside and settle in until the all clear is given to head to the cabins. We take turns watching the luggage and going to get food, going to the restroom, or just walking around and checking things out. This has been our MO for years and years.

You're very smart! I have never understood the concept of having to "lug" or "tote" bags around everywhere until approximately 1:30. Once you've found a nice spot around the lido deck, take turns getting food and let the luggage just sit there. If you absolutely must explore the whole ship immediately, take turns. 1:30 will be there really quick! No need to be lugging the carry-ons all over the ship constantly. Save the exploring and constant walking for after 1:30. Also, if you use a suitcase with wheels, 2 fingers and hardly any effort is all it takes to "lug" or "tote" the carry-ons around. Carrying around a drink takes more effort.