Norwegian Dawn Chocolate Buffet

acton1776

We were on the Dawn 1st week of Feb 2014 and yes they have the Choc. Buffet.

It was on 1 night only after 10pm and it was not worth the wait.

The chocolate choices were awful I'm sad to say and the line was mobbed.

Maybe because I expected better but it still just didn't taste right.

Almost like they forgot to add sugar.:mad:

Edited by Hey Wang

Last October, the Dawn had a chocolate buffet but just 2 weeks ago on the Sun, it had been discontinued and instead an enhanced chocolate dessert selection was offered during dinner in the dining rooms. I understand they had 2 extra waitstaff for the chocolate selections.

While we didn't eat in the dining rooms that evening (Cagney's instead), it must've cut down on the excessive chocolate consumption/waste as I did not see any chocolate trashed in the next day.

The chocolate choices was awful I'm sad to say and the line was mobbed.

Totally agree! I was pretty to look at but that's about all. The displays were a nice photo op but you had to get there early.

We were in a suite and thus were invited a half hour before the general public. It was pretty and we were #2 through the line but even with no mob it wasn't really all that great or worth the effort. A few items were good, most OK, and some not good at all.

Its amazing how good looking cruise lines can make the desserts look but many times they lack taste.

Was one last march 2013 just not at midnight more like 930 10

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same in June 2013! It was earlier and nothing like years past. It was not in a MDR, but at the buffet. Choices were limited and not really good (tasting). And no chocolate fountain :(! I wouldn't be surprised if it is now gone!

Same in June 2013! It was earlier and nothing like years past. It was not in a MDR, but at the buffet. Choices were limited and not really good (tasting). And no chocolate fountain :(! I wouldn't be surprised if it is now gone!

I've been to 3. Dawn and 2 on the sun didn't like the taste of anything. For the most part Wouldn't be a big loss if it's gone.. IMO

I've been to 3. Dawn and 2 on the sun didn't like the taste of anything. For the most part Wouldn't be a big loss if it's gone.. IMO

I was on both the Dawn and the Gem - and the chocolate buffet was probably the worst food we had on either ship.

It was a really BEAUTIFUL display, but nothing tasted even remotely as good as it looked.

We'll be skipping it on the Gem this time.

For a contrary view. We were on the Jewel this recent December. Got in early. It was one of the largest we've ever had and about half the food was between very good and great. Some of the other, not so much. However, within 15 minutes of opening the doors to the public, it was destroyed. Food everywhere, plates piled with 10-12 items on them. Kids and adults wrecking the displays. Pretty ugly!

And it is no longer in the MDR but the buffet.

Edited by rvsullivan

We were on the Dawn 1st week of Feb 2014 and yes they have the Choc. Buffet.

The chocolate choices were awful I'm sad to say and the line was mobbed.

They didn't forget, sugar is expensive.

Just off the Dawn 2 weeks ago, I think it was Thursday at around 7. It was pretty but have to agree there was not much available that tasted very good. There was indeed a chocolate fountain with different little tidbits to have the server dip for you.

A tip for the Dawn chocolate buffets -- avoid the layer cakes and/or tortes. Yes, they look great but the payoff in chocolate flavor is not worth the carbs. Cheesecakes are slightly better tasting - not so much for the chocolate flavor but if you like cheesecake, they're OK. Any chocolate covered fruit tasted good, but can be messy. The mousse with strawberries was good - as were the eclairs and creampuffs stuffed with mousse.

Surprisingly, the best tasting chocolate flavor were in the dark chocolate rice-crispy like squares. There are also several white chocolate items but I'm not big on white chocolate so I can't comment on them.

Edited by rpb718

I know this sounds crazy but is there anything sugarfree? Just diagnosed with diabitis and going nuts. Sailing on the Dawn in April for 12 days. This is going to be tough.

Any suggestions?

NCL always has sugar-free desserts available so I'm sure they'll have a selection on the chocolate buffet.

A staff member on my last Gem cruise told me that 3 or 4 years back Ncl had a "deal" with Hershey for the chocolate but for almost two years now they use generic "no name" chocolate and he compared it to wax...

First, I have a sweet tooth and 95% of the desserts in that buffet are awful.

Second, I cant believe how people could fill entire large plates with 6" high of food all pilled-up...disgusting

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

A staff member on my last Gem cruise told me that 3 or 4 years back Ncl had a "deal" with Hershey for the chocolate but for almost two years now they use generic "no name" chocolate and he compared it to wax...

First, I have a sweet tooth and 95% of the desserts in that buffet are awful.

Second, I cant believe how people could fill entire large plates with 6" high of food all pilled-up...disgusting

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Yeah I agree. It was like starving savages that come out once every 3 months to eat..... Lol :D