What if you can't drink it all

wrenegade

I'm considering getting a Bon Voyage liter of Maker's Mark for our five day cruise. If for some really odd reason that I'm not able to finish it, can I take the opened bottle with remaining bourbon off the ship on debarkation? Or does it have to stay on the ship?

I'm considering getting a Bon Voyage liter of Maker's Mark for our five day cruise. If for some really odd reason that I'm not able to finish it, can I take the opened bottle with remaining bourbon off the ship on debarkation? Or does it have to stay on the ship?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Yes, you can carry it off the ship with you at debarkation. I would claim it on my customs form just to be safe. Sure as you don't, you will be the one they pull to the side for a random search in customs. You are allowed to bring a certain amount of liquor back with you. I believe each adult can bring back 1 liter duty free. I think Texas taxes all liquor brought back though, so knowing your port city would help others here help you with more accurate info about what to expect.

http://seniortravel.about.com/od/seniortravelbasics/f/Do-I-Have-To-Pay-Customs-Duty-On-Alcoholic-Beverages-Purchased-In-A-Duty-Free-Shop.htm

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/424/~/bringing-alcohol-from-u.s.-insular-possessions-into-the-u.s.-(u.s.-virgin

Edited by winddawn

You don't need to claim it. We bring back half empty bottles every cruise. If you're flying, you do need to make sure it doesn't put you over the weight limit. I had to take half my clothes out of my check in bag and put them in my carry on so I could put my tequila in my check in.

As mentioned, you can bring it back.

I don't declare it to customs because I bought it while in the US.

Just in case, I do pack a printed copy of my Bon Voyage email order confirmation and I also keep the papers/gift-message that are delivered with any bottles.