Diabetic - how do you take your insulin before a meal?

rjack22

Two of my kids are type 1. I get a chuckle watching them. Although they are now adults they act like twins, simultaneously checking their BG and administering shots. They injected through pants or discretely lifted shirt enough to inject in stomach. They were both on pumps for our ladt cruise, but they checked bg at table. If you didn't know what they were doing, you wouldn't have noticed it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

What good advice has been given here! Thanks everyone! My doctor did mention yesterday that I should inject no longer than 10 minutes before eating or preferably when the food is in front of me. I have not received my new insulin yet to see what is on the instructions. It will probably be here today or tomorrow at the latest. I like the idea of injecting prior to leaving my cabin for dinner if I can get away with that. The fact that we have early traditional dining should help I would think because I know there will be no wait for a table. I had been thinking about switching to anytime but now I know I am going to stick with traditional.

It is going to be an adjustment for me to go on this time sensitive insulin. I am used to just injecting at breakfast and then forgetting about it for the rest of the day. This will be my first cruise with a injection. The last cruise I was still only on oral meds.

When I am on an excursion and we eat out, I put a pen in my shoulder bag. I got a small coldpack at wallys and put it in with the pen. I do not hesitate to inject myself at the table. That does not mean that I flaunt it. I do it very discretely, and, I then wrap the pen needle in its cap in a Kleenex and put it in my bag. I keep the sharpie container in the cabin. Also, my dr told me that I can inject thru my shirt or slacks. I do not need to expose skin. I use the short mini needles. I have never had a problem doing this. I have been type II for 19 years.

Edited by rbrugler

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't read all the replies but my husband is a type 2 & he injects his insulin before walking out the door to the dining room...on occasions he has taken it after dinner back in our room...his is under good control & has never had a problem doing it either way.

What is your typical blood reading? Unless you are extremely low you have plenty of time to take your injection. I have taken Humalog and am now on Novolog. If I am above 125 I have at least 30 minutes before I start getting too low. As to when you take it my doctor, which I know isn't yours, said it was even OK to take it after eating. Don't forget you are take a fast and along acting dose at one time.