Accessible stateroom rules

I have an odd question. Obviously the accessible stateroom are for wheel chaired guests. We are one week from our cruise and I just had surgery yesterday. I am able to cruise but was wondering if they are available if I would be able to call Rccl and request a room. The reason is the bars and stool in the shower may be easier to use if I can sit as well. No flames please, be nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an odd question. Obviously the accessible stateroom are for wheel chaired guests. We are one week from our cruise and I just had surgery yesterday. I am able to cruise but was wondering if they are available if I would be able to call Rccl and request a room. The reason is the bars and stool in the shower may be easier to use if I can sit as well. No flames please, be nice.

As one that requires an accessible cabin due to being paraplegic and confined to a wheelchair permanently, I say you have a real legit reason to book one.

Book it and dont look back if one is available :) The problem I have is with able body people booking these rooms "for the extra room"

With all that said, I seriously doubt one will be available this close to sail date. :( They usually book up months in advance! Never hurts to call though!

Edited by ryano

These rooms are not necessarily JUST for w/c patients. Both my husband and I have mobility issues..My husband has a balance issue that we hope will be cleared up after his next surgery which will be after our upcoming Oasis cruise. Due to the fact that he can't stand in a shower for longer periods of time and finds it difficult to lift his legs over the tub in a JS we booked an accessible D5 cabin. He needs the shower seat and handrails and often needs the extra space just to balance himself when he stands..once he gets up straight he is fine but often looks like a drunk when walking. We were going to take the w/c but decided to rent one but he may never need it the whole cruise..but better safe than sorry. I explained this to RCI and had no problems. Actually, we do feel a little guilty booking this room since there are so many people in worse condition who need them but checking the ship there are still almost ALL accessible cabins available.

There is one still available for our cruise that leaves in one week. I hate to take it for those worse off. I have a baby too and being able to sit and shower him would be easier on me as we'll as I can't bend over or lift for two weeks

If your cruise leaves in a week and there's still one available, by all means call and explain your situation and ask for it. At this late date the likelihood that you're taking it away from someone else who needs it is very low, those folks generally booked theirs long ago. Enjoy your cruise!

I booked with a ta do I go through them?

I'm not positive, but I'd recommend calling your TA immediately and ask them to call RCI ASAP before someone else books it. A week out, they're likely to let anyone book it, handicap or not. Time is of the essence!

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I booked with a ta do I go through them?

Yes you have to go through your TA. :)

If there is one available this close to your sail date then by all means take it! Im pretty sure ANYONE can have those cabins after final payment date has passed :)

I booked two with carnival 2 years ago. It was 5 weeks out and there were still some available. They told me I could book them but if someone handicapped needed one before sailing, i could be bumped.

I would think RCCL has a similar policy(?)

On sunday, there were still a number of handicapped cabins left on my upcoming FOS cruise so you never know (saw them on a cruise booking site and not the RCCL site). they are now gone but i am pretty sure they were opened up to non-handicapped folks based on how fast they went during the tuesday sale blow out (actually mon-fri sale this week).

My ta said I couldn't book it. Oh well I guess it was worth asking

I honestly think your TA is absolutely, flat wrong on that. Do you have a TA that you like and who usually does a good job for you? I'd call them back and appeal, tell them you REALLY want them to call RCI. Honestly sounds like they didn't want to be bothered to take the time to make the call.

Based on a Federal Law that went into effect 1/1/2012, anyone requiring the need of the features contained within an accessible room can book that room. The only caveat to this law is that the individual has to be able to certify the need for that cabin. RCCL does make you certify need. If the individual falsely certifies the need the cruise line can bump them from that room if not remove them from cruise completely.

You meet the qualification based on what's stated in your post. . However given that the cruise is one week away there may not be accessible rooms available. The cruise lines are allowed to release all unsold accessible cabins to the general public after the final payment period. Able bodied individuals that received an accessible cabin assignment after the final payment period has past are not required to give up the cabin.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

To put it bluntly you have a TA that is totally incompetent. Reasons being :

1. Their lack of knowledge of the Federal Law that went into effect 1/1/2012

2. The final payment period has past anyone even abled body individuals can book an accessible cabin at this point.

3. Most importantly you qualify for the accessible cabin under the law.

Call your TA back and do not take NO for an answer .

Edited by xxoocruiser

Did you TA say WHY you couldn't book it? I am thinking your TA just doesn't want to do the work involved ..which I don't think is a lot..Ask why then call RCI anyway and explain the situation.. call Special Needs at (866) 592-7225

Monday – Friday 9 AM to 7 PM

I called rci special needs they said there is one available I can book but have to go through travel agent. Now's he not answering.

Probably doesn't have to be said, but after this experience I'd DEFINITELY not ever use that TA again! Wish you could name them here so others could avoid, but I know that's not allowed on this site. :mad:

EDIT: If you have a different phone you could call him from, such that the caller ID would be different and not have your name attached, I'd try that, in case he's avoiding YOUR calls specifically.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I got out booked. Ta was able to call rccl and get it taken care of.

Great news. Congrats and enjoy your cabin.

I think unfortunately that due to the large number of both cruise lines and land based resorts that the TA's deal with they are not always up to date on all of the policies. That being said I don't think your TA should have initially told you no. They should have made a phone call if they were not sure.

I am sorry you had such a rough time obtaining the room but if you hadn't gotten it someone who really didn't need it would have this close to cruising time. I am shocked they had one available this close in. I hope it makes it easier on you to have it.

Have a great cruise and try to look for a new TA when you return. I am sure there are a lot on here who would like to refer theirs to you me included but we are unable to. Mine is great. She is always there when I need her even on weekends and at nights.

Hope you recover well.