Will NYC port get new Carnival ship?

rchase5

I don't think they had that much trouble selling out The Miracle when it was here, but that carried about 900 less people. They thought getting a bigger, newer ship would help but I think it backfired on them. I just don't understand how NCL can base 2 ships out of NY year round, The Gem and the Breakaway, but CCL can't sell out one? Even though I do cruise NCL, I prefer Carnival,I think you get more for your money.

Mark

The problem I find and others in my circle is that there aren't enough room options for larger families. That is why we had to stop sailing with Carnival out if NY. And not enough suite options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by AJI2596

Why does carnival even need to worry about NYC? Especially if they are able to fill their ships elsewhere. So why worry about trying to compete with the other lines new tonnage when they can send a ship somewhere else and have the same capcity.

As much I as I personally think Carnival should care about NYC as a resident of NYC ;), I think you make a valid point. Carnival execs looking at the situation with objectivity realize they can't presently compete with Breakaway or Quantum, so unless the budget end of the market will afford them a significant enough profit margin, it doesn't make sense for them to invest any further in the NY market.

With the express caveat that we know next to nothing about the Carnival Vista at this point, I'd be surprised if she comes to New York City to compete with the (what will then be) established Quantum and Breakaway when they could put her down in South Florida, appeal to the larger fly in market, and probably command more of a premium. I don't see any Carnival ship, even a new one in 2016, competing with Quantum or Breakaway on amenities (and thus at higher price points), especially since we know she'll only be a hair larger than the existing Dream Class.

But, time will tell. Perhaps returning to seasonal cruising here in NYC was the best move for Carnival given the decreased demand for cruising out of NYC in the winter months and other ships better positioned to compete in that limited market.

Edited by Dave85

As much I as I personally think Carnival should care about NYC as a resident of NYC ;), I think you make a valid point. Carnival execs looking at the situation with objectivity realize they can't presently compete with Breakaway or Quantum, so unless the budget end of the market will afford them a significant enough profit margin, it doesn't make sense for them to invest any further in the NY market.

With the express caveat that we know next to nothing about the Carnival Vista at this point, I'd be surprised if she comes to New York City to compete with the (what will then be) established Quantum and Breakaway when they could put her down in South Florida, appeal to the larger fly in market, and probably command more of a premium. I don't see any Carnival ship, even a new one in 2016, competing with Quantum or Breakaway on amenities (and thus at higher price points), especially since we know she'll only be a hair larger than the existing Dream Class.

But, time will tell. Perhaps returning to seasonal cruising here in NYC was the best move for Carnival given the decreased demand for cruising out of NYC in the winter months and other ships better positioned to compete in that limited market.

↑↑↑ Yeah, what Dave said. ↑↑↑ ;)

We just got off the Splendor for a HOLIDAY WEEK sailing and it was NOT sold out. There were cabins available the day before sailing.

We couldn't even walk outside on the first sea day because of so much snow on the decks, and the last sea day back was also cold enough to chase most cruisers inside.

We get to Port Canaveral and there are 6 ships there waiting to sail, so we think why spend 2 days there and 2 days back to get to warmer weather when you can just fly there in a few hours and enjoy all the holiday week in warm weather.

Why we did this, the price was too good to pass up. But we are seniors and love the sea days, can most families who sail Carnival say that??

Cheers

Len

FYI the "older" NCL Gem was launched in 2007. The Splendor in 2008. NCL prices have been raised consistently over thew last 3 years in NY. The Breakway is at a premium. Yes some of the insides are lower but sell out fast.

Its my understanding that one of the issues is the fuel that the Splendor uses and the requirement that it has to be use upgraded(lower sulfur content fuel-significantly more expensive). The trip to Florida/Bahamas from NY uses a lot of fuel. NCL has or is installing scrubbers. The Carnival ship returning to Baltimore after a dry dock is having them installed too. On the Feb13 sailing they were announcing that an unnamed ship will return to NY in or after 2015.

While the Feb sailing wasn't sold out it was nearly so and a large number of people missed the ship because of the weather.

Both Carnival and NCL have their pluses and minuses but I and the Grankids enjoyed both immensely. Carnival has a covered pool(it opens and closes a cover). the kids were in the hot tubs and pool on the first day down. If you were flying on Feb13, 2014 from NY you would have not made it to the ships in Florida...

The NCL ships leaving NY travel at 20 plus knots. Carnival did a leisurely 15 down and the last day up was at a snails pace 9 or less.!(my GPS tells me the exact speed)

Edited by smeyer418