Cabin upgrades when prices fall

tsio360

In December I booked two adjoining rooms for my parents, my wife and myself on the Dawn departing April 6th from Tampa. The prices have dropped and I was thinking of requesting an upgrade. My question is should I wait and see if the prices continue to drop or make the call now? We booked obstructed view rooms and at this time a guaranteed balcony cabin is available for only $100 more. Does anyone have an experience with upgrading cabins?

In December I booked two adjoining rooms for my parents, my wife and myself on the Dawn departing April 6th from Tampa. The prices have dropped and I was thinking of requesting an upgrade. My question is should I wait and see if the prices continue to drop or make the call now? We booked obstructed view rooms and at this time a guaranteed balcony cabin is available for only $100 more. Does anyone have an experience with upgrading cabins?

If you're still before final payment, give them a call and upgrade your rooms. If you've already hit your final payment date about the best you could do is call and request an upgrade, but they are under no obligation to honor the request. They may give you some OBC, or nothing, instead. I'd do it now. No reason to wait, IMO. Prices could change the other way too

Edited by sdmike

Final payment has been made. I understand that they are not obligated to upgrade. Wondering if anyone had had any success getting an upgrade. If the cruise is not sold out are they willing to upgrade to a higher category at a minimal price increase.

I would make the call asap because prices could go up anytime. I just "made the call" and got a balcony cabin (instead of an inside) for only $50 more per person. A good deal. To go from obstructed to a balcony is pretty good for only $100 more. You could wait but might lose out or prices could go up. Just sayin..... Good luck and hope you get something you are happy with.:)

Wendy

As you are already past final payment NCL has no obligation to give anything for free but since you are ready to pay the small amont for the upgrade, I don't see any problems - we have done exactly that several times. I'd do it now because it's possible that the cheapes balconies can sell out after price drops for last minute bookings. Also remember that even if your original cabins were next to each other, when upgrading to GTY cabins, you will not probably get cabins next to each other but possibly even from completely different sides of the ship - there is no way to affect the cabin assignment so that you'd get cabins close to one other.

Edited by Demonyte

Yes, I would call now. I see you are past final payment and the prices would have to drop considerably for you to get bumped up 2 categories. Only issue may be if you are looking for adjoining cabins, might be tough as available rooms are sporadic.

Usually the additional OBC, instead of an upgrade, they offer is 25% of the difference of what you paid and what is now selling. Ex: Prices dropped $100, they may offer $25 additional OBC.

Also ask if you will lose any OBC you currently have by upgrading.

Or..they could say Im sorry there is nothing they can do for you. But its always worth a shot!

Final payment has been made. I understand that they are not obligated to upgrade. Wondering if anyone had had any success getting an upgrade. If the cruise is not sold out are they willing to upgrade to a higher category at a minimal price increase.

I did exactly what you are talking about on the Jewel. We had an obstructed ocean view and for $40 more got a balcony guarantee (after final payment). FYI, we ended up with a great balcony room on deck 10!

That looks like a fair deal to me.

The worst balcony cabins on NCL Dawn are the hulled one's on deck 8 .

They ain't bad and you might get another shot at the suite life later .;)

Yes. Just happened to me. My prices dropped $220, I called and they offered me an upgrade for a cabin that was worth $260 more. They didn't ask me to pay the difference.

Only I didn't like the new room they wanted me to go to. It was way far forward and right now I am mid, by the stairs. With only 2 stair locations on this megaship (Getaway), it can be long walks if you are not in the mid section.

So I got an additional $55 OBC instead. Bad part is 2 days later (yesterday) priced dropped another $120! Not sure if I will call back...kind of greedy!!

I just called my NCL cruise consultant and he can upgrade us to a unobstructed view on deck 5, for $10, but the cabins we have now are midship deck 8 near the elevator and the Blue Lagoon which we like. He recommend I call back in 3 weeks. I will keep my fingers crossed.

That looks like a fair deal to me.

The worst balcony cabins on NCL Dawn are the hulled one's on deck 8 .

They ain't bad and you might get another shot at the suite life later .;)

I stayed in the deck 8 balconies on the Dawn and LOVED it! For the majority of my cruise, it rained and I was perfectly protected. My mother was one deck up, opposite side. There was zero difference in the room. Only the small amount of enclosure on the balcony was different. The square footage of the balcony was the same, only the frame of the opening was smaller..about 6 inches on each side. You really cant even notice unless you were told about it and looked.

I would book that room again in a heartbeat.

A week ago we noticed a price drop on Breakaway. We went through a TA...gave them a call ...they called NCL and we got upgraded from a BX Balcony to a B9 Spa Balcony no extra charge.

I called my TA this morning and ended up with an Aft B1 balcony and Additional OBC an upgrade from our original B5 family balcony for my DH and I. My motto, ask the worst that can happen is you keep what you originally have.

Good Luck and Happy Sailing!

We just got a great deal. We originally booked an inside room on the Getaway for April with $100 OBC. The price dropped a couple hundred, so we called yesterday and received a balcony upgrade, dinner at Cagney's and a bottle of wine. It is worth it too call. The worst they will say is no. :)

We just got a great deal. We originally booked an inside room on the Getaway for April with $100 OBC. The price dropped a couple hundred, so we called yesterday and received a balcony upgrade, dinner at Cagney's and a bottle of wine. It is worth it too call. The worst they will say is no. :)

Good for you!!

I Hope you have smooth seas and warm breezes . :)

Edited by biker@sea

Does anyone know how the cost to upgrade is calculated? I realized that balcony cabins have now fallen to within our price range. We are after final payment. The current cost of a balcony guarantee is about 100pp more than what we paid for obstructed OV. Our TA called and they quoted the price to upgrade as $385 total. This is more than we are willing to pay. We are fine staying where we are, but I was just wondering how everyone else is able to upgrade themselves at such a low cost, but the price we are getting is more than the cabins are selling for.

We just upgraded from a BB balcony to a B9 spa balcony for $180 for all 3 of us total after final payment. Made sense since fee for spa is $200 per person upgrading for us saved us $420 for use of the spa which we planned on doing anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So for those who were successful in getting an upgrade, this was only after the cabin price dropped for the particular category you booked for right?

I booked through a 3rd party TA, I've tried calling NCL myself, but they can't access my info.. basically telling me to call my TA who will then call NCL to have things taken care of...

So for those who were successful in getting an upgrade, this was only after the cabin price dropped for the particular category you booked for right?

I booked through a 3rd party TA, I've tried calling NCL myself, but they can't access my info.. basically telling me to call my TA who will then call NCL to have things taken care of...

Yes mine was after prices went down

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app