Cabin choices, in general

We have only had one previous cruise, but reading this forum I see that some of you have cruised many times. Looking through many of the posts it would seem that cabin choice varies considerably from those getting the cheapest and having more holidays, to those who like the bigger rooms.

So, my questions are ;

How did you decide on your first cruise which cabin to have?

What cabins really do it for you?

Is it all about cost, or just that you only sleep there?

Edited by holiday ahoy

We go for insides now, unless a bargain outside comes up.

Don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, just showering, changing, sleeping.

So we go for cheapest and get more cruises in....

Would advise to book a Plus cabin on Majesty though, well worth the extra.

We go for insides now, unless a bargain outside comes up.

Don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, just showering, changing, sleeping.

So we go for cheapest and get more cruises in....

Would advise to book a Plus cabin on Majesty though, well worth the extra.

I would second that -our thinking exactly.

The standard cabins are basically the same so why pay for a higher deck unless you aren't happy being 'down below'?

As for inside v outside it all depends on whether you want to see any daylight especially when you wake up - I probably would from choice but for the sacrifice that involves we still prefer to make the saving and go away more often.

Always inside cabins. The difference between that a balcony pays for the drinks.

So we drink for free ....:-)

Always try for a cabin midships both ways, if you see what I mean. Length and height.

Always want cabins above and below us.

Don't get a cabin near a big white space on the deck plans.

Don't get cabins below or above kitchens or the drummer in the band.

Don't get a cabin near a Stewards storage. We had one once and every morning at 7 he pushed his squeaking trolley up and down getting his goods for the day.

We don't book a cabin near the laundrette.

We usually book well in advance so we can pick and choose, ok we pay for the privalage.

When we book a late deal we just keep our fingers crossed and accept we will end up with the best of the rest.

We only shower, change and sleep in cabin but we want to do it in comfort.

Always inside cabins. The difference between that a balcony pays for the drinks.

So we drink for free ....:-)

Always try for a cabin midships both ways, if you see what I mean. Length and height.

Always want cabins above and below us.

Don't get a cabin near a big white space on the deck plans.

Don't get cabins below or above kitchens or the drummer in the band.

Don't get a cabin near a Stewards storage. We had one once and every morning at 7 he pushed his squeaking trolley up and down getting his goods for the day.

We don't book a cabin near the laundrette.

We usually book well in advance so we can pick and choose, ok we pay for the privalage.

When we book a late deal we just keep our fingers crossed and accept we will end up with the best of the rest.

We only shower, change and sleep in cabin but we want to do it in comfort.

Good advice here too! ;)

As a single traveller I don't get a lot of choice, but having tried both inside and outside cabins I would always try and book an outside cabin, as I found the lack of daylight affected my sleep pattern - found it REALLY hard to wake up in the mornings!

So I always aim for the furthest forward outside cabin I can get - this is one area that Majesty is excellent for as their single cabins are dotted around the ship (as opposed to the Spirit / Celebration / Island Escape layout where they are all at the rear of the lower decks).

I'd be fine with an inside for a week, but if I'm on for two weeks I'd always pitch for an outside I think.

We chose an inside cabin when we were on a Med Cruise in Autumn. It gets dark so early and again in the morning. So we wouldn't really be seeing daylight that much anyway. I'm not that bothered which deck or postion. One cruise we were at the aft side so it was so convenient for popping up to the deck first thing in the morning to see the landscape, but further away form restaurants.

Thanks Guys

It would seem the lower cost cabins are very popular allowing for more cruises throughout the year, and it does make sense. Before we booked our first cruise, we read up on the pro's and con's and didn't know if it would be for us. For this reason, we took advice and booked the best cabin we could afford so we had somewhere nice and bigger in case we were spending more time in the room than expected (sea legs and all that!!). Because we really liked the cabin last time (and not finding this brilliant forum until after making the booking) we have booked the same cabin again, but we will definitely look at bookings differently next time.

Edited by holiday ahoy

Thanks Guys

It would seem the lower cost cabins are very popular allowing for more cruises throughout the year, and it does make sense. Before we booked our first cruise, we read up on the pro's and con's and didn't know if it would be for us. For this reason, we took advice and booked the best cabin we could afford so we had somewhere nice and bigger in case we were spending more time in the room than expected (sea legs and all that!!). Because we really liked the cabin last time (and not finding this brilliant forum until after making the booking) we have booked the same cabin again, but we will definitely look at bookings differently next time.

This is the crux HA..Book the cabin you can afford

Now there could be the problem.

We have never had an outside or balcony cabin so do not have a clue what we are missing.

Now if we had started with a balcony I bet wild horses wouldn't get us back into an inside cabin.

We do not mind as we have never experienced ..............

never having a view,

not having a clue if it's light or dark outside,

never been able to sit on the balcony having room service breakfast,

sipping a drink as we sail in and out of ports,

Pitch black cabin when lights go out.

But like I say we go for inside cabin so we can cruise more often.

Happy cruising :-)

You really made me laugh 1160451 ! Yes never choose a cabin over the drummer in a Band. Seriously though we were very naive when we first started cruising and some would say we still are ! Our first cabin was on the Emerald, many years ago. It was huge and right at the front of the ship. I soon learned what it was like to be sea-sick. I always look for a cabin mid ship and I prefer the lower decks as the ship doesn't seem to move around so much lower down.

A balcony is always a treat but we are quite happy with an outside. I quite like to see what is going on outside and like the view of the sea.

On our last cruise we upgraded to a Deluxe Cabin as it was a special occasion but it was disastrous. We were on a cruise and stay holiday and had booked a cheaper hotel to have the deluxe cabin. Anyway the hotel exceeded our expectations so it all worked out well in the end. I will avoid big white spaces on the ship in future 1160451 and yes I agree it is always better to have cabins above and below you if possible. Last week we said we would never cruise again but it gets into your blood and guess what we have just booked another cruise ! No choice of cabin which is slightly worrying but hey ho It was a bargain !

Yes do avoid white space. Made that mistake last time. Never ever again!! Personally I like outside so always go for that but I agree the deck is not so important. We are deck 7 outside plus on the Dream this year but I have never been that high in the ship before

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile

Hi Tizzy,

we keep saying let's try a land based holiday again, then we say "well after dinner what did we do, ah yes drinks and a stroll. "

So no shows, no quiz, no jive, rumba or cha cha, no comedienne after the show, no late night buffet, no Crows Nest late at night wondering if the Disco is still lively, no late night strolling along the Promenade Deck listening to the ocean.........:-) So it's always a cruise......

Our thoughts are ....no such thing as a bad cruise, just some better than others.

Take it easy and happy cruising.

Lots of good points here and all very valid - all down to personal choice.

In reading 1160451's amusing post though I was reminded of when we were on a North Cape cruise in June when the sun never went down. Some passengers were saying how not being able to get their (outside) cabin dark at night was an issue for them. They had a porthole and ended up stuffing a pillow into it to help. At least that wasn't a problem we had with our inside cabin! Although I can very well see that a balcony cabin in the Fjords would be very nice indeed - more interesting views than just sea. ;)