Let's set sail with (smuggled) captain Morgan...

Mamatothree

We plan to bring a small amount of alcohol (above and beyond the 1 bottle of wine pp) on board.

Save any lectures, please; we bring soda & candy to the movies too.

So my question is: do they physically search your carryons or just X-ray them? Mine has a hidden zipper under the liner ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They will X ray them and if something resembling a bottle shows they will search. So unless youve got a lead lined secret compartment theyre going to find your bottle. You've got better odds putting it in your checked bags in my opinion.

A coupe years ago we did back to back cruises on different ships, I had an empty beer bottle from a festival in my checked bag from the first cruise. At the check in for the second cruise, they saw the bottle in the x ray and tried to confiscate it, saying I was not allowed to bring alcohol on board, even though they saw it was empty. It turned into a debate when I asked them to point out the alcohol I was bringing on board and the guy held up the empty bottle and said, "its right here" at which point I said " By all means, feel free to dump it out, I just want the bottle as a souvenir". LOL

They hire some real doozies!!!!!

Edited by snownyet

We plan to bring a small amount of alcohol (above and beyond the 1 bottle of wine pp) on board.

Save any lectures, please; we bring soda & candy to the movies too.

So my question is: do they physically search your carryons or just X-ray them? Mine has a hidden zipper under the liner ;)

Get rum runners or go to your local camping or outdoor store and get a platypus. It is an I V bag with a lid, I use it all the time when I cruise and never a problem.

:D

Our cruise last yr, the bags werent xrayed. Security just peaked.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

I have been on a lot of cruises and never once have we been on one that security peeked in our carry on bags and didn't put them through the security scanner as we board the ship

Luck of the draw on search. My sling type camera bag goes through scanner but have never been asked to open for security. It typically has a little over a liter of liquor stashed in various hidden compartments.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Depends on the port. I cruise out of Galveston and they X-ray and send you to a table if something shows up. They don't tell the table people what shows up, just that it did. They look inside, see my wine and dt dr pepper and send me on my way. If I were to want to conceal something, it would be easy. Same process every cruise for the last 3+ years....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Definitely look into getting a set of RumRunner flasks or similar plastic bag bottles such as those made by Platypus or others.

The key is this: the xray machines show densities of materials the xrays go through. Traditional bottles show distinctive outlines both from the edges of the bottle as well as the change between the liquid inside and whatever is surrounding it. Same goes for mouthwash bottles and other stuff. Water bottles are begging for confiscation since it's trivial to shake the bottle and look at the shape of the bubbles to know if it's water inside or something else.

With the RumRunner flasks or similar containers, the thickness tapers towards the edge so there's not nearly as sharp an outline. All that will really show is the neck and cap. Camouflage this with the other things you're packing in the same bag.

Think how a magician/illusionist works. He distracts your attention away from what he doesn't want you to see. Couple this with the knowledge that they're trying to get a couple thousand people aboard the ship in a short amount of time. Use this to your advantage; pack your bag such that when the xray machine says there's something in the bag they're able to quickly see an innocuous explanation if they open the bag. Also remember; just as the bear doesn't catch every salmon in the river, the security guys won't find everything you might try to bring aboard.

Every time I cruise, Security looks in the carryon in which I've packed our wine and our soft drinks after it's gone through xray. They don't dig everything out, just poke around a little. FWIW they had no issue with a pair of 500ml wine boxes and a 4-pack of champagne splits as our "bottle of wine per person".

Edited by dd2355

depends on the port.

In Boston we got a notice in our luggage that said that something inside the luggage appeared to be contraband and they had to open it. It was literally a sheet of paper inside the luggage. In my suitcase I had 6 bottles of Ice Tea (2 were bourbon).

Going through the security to board we had 4 bottles of wine (there were 4 of us) they had me open the bag and they went through everything and also had me take out the wine and they checked to see if the cork was intact.

In Miami, just a few weeks ago, we had to throw out any opened water bottles including one inside my carry on. They couldn't care less about the wine I was carrying on. Not all the guards enforced that same water bottle policy.

In Ft Lauderdale I have always had to open my carry on to show the bottles of wine, they have never confiscated it even if we brought too many.

They do X-ray checked luggage, you can see them running the bags through the machines in Ft Lauderdale and Miami. At least I could from my aft extended balcony. The angle might not be right from Lido deck, you might only see the trucks pulling out with the cages of luggage.

So to me the best options for any smuggling are coke/tea/sprite bottles or shampoo. I can't see spending money on special bottles but can see the benefit if you prefer the rum runners suggested. We always send one suitcase through with a case of water. It would take nothing to replace a couple with vodka/gin/moonshine, whatever floats you boat.

When I do this in my suitcase with my clothes, I pack a bunch of real cokes to offset the fake ones and I wrap all the tops with that Glad Press'n seal just in case something should leak. I tend to think that when they actually opened my luggage the press'n seal caused them not to touch the bottles, if they did they would have noticed that I packed two opened ones since you could squeeze the bottles where the real bottles of soda were rock hard.

I don't smuggle on much. But here's some tips in case you're curious.

My version of a MaiTai is (some may call it a Zombie, I don't care it tastes good):

2 shots Captain Morgan

1 shot Meyers Rum

1/2 shot Appricot Brandy

1/2 shot Amaretto

I increase this recipe to fill a 20 ounce coke bottle. Side by side with real coke, the color is identical. Once onboard, mix this with some juice from the lido deck and you've got a nice cocktail.

I've also packed the stuff for a toasted Almond.

1/2 shot vodka

1 shot amaretto

1 shot kahlua

again, increase and put it in a coke bottle. It will also be the same exact color as coke. Onboard just grab some extra milk at breakfast (or be obnoxious an have room service deliver you just milk) and you'll enjoy a very nice drink.

I find that bourbon/whiskey goes best in the plastic tea bottles that are square, Pure Leaf. Maker's Mark or other darker blends side by side a bottle of this tea will look identical. If you prefer whiskeys or scotches that are lighter in color then I recommend the Tazo various green teas, there's a mint one that is the exact same color as dewars. But I've been concerned about glass bottles breaking in my luggage.

If I was going to carry on straight captain, I'd probably use some ice tea bottles since it is fairly close in color to Maker's Mark, just a couple shades lighter so I'd probably look in the green teas for something close.

Maybe i am making it too complicated.

Edited by wickedhangover

I have been on a lot of cruises and never once have we been on one that security peeked in our carry on bags and didn't put them through the security scanner as we board the ship

Our last cruise, Port of Miami (2012) not only was my carry opened by security (after it was put through the x-ray but everything was taken out. We always transfer the lotions/shampoos/sunblock into our carry on for boarding versus letting them go in our checked bags after a mishap we had on Princess (very messy & lots of cleaning). So my guess is it depends on the port whether your carry on will be checked or not.

Happy Sailing!!!

A coupe years ago we did back to back cruises on different ships, I had an empty beer bottle from a festival in my checked bag from the first cruise. At the check in for the second cruise, they saw the bottle in the x ray and tried to confiscate it, saying I was not allowed to bring alcohol on board, even though they saw it was empty. It turned into a debate when I asked them to point out the alcohol I was bringing on board and the guy held up the empty bottle and said, "its right here" at which point I said " By all means, feel free to dump it out, I just want the bottle as a souvenir". LOL

They hire some real doozies!!!!!

Great story! Did they let you keep the bottle?

Kevin C

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I should have been clearer, I do have rum runners.

We're sailing out of Tampa.

So, suppose I need a refill at a port. Buy a bottle, fill the rum runner..... But they check your bags when you're re boarding the ship, right?

So, suppose I need a refill at a port. Buy a bottle, fill the rum runner..... But they check your bags when you're re boarding the ship, right?

Yes they do, but it is generally pretty easy to get your drink of choice back on the ship from port. Even if they see something in your bag and tell you to go to the table, we've had good luck simply playing dumb and walking on by. If they do take it, at least you don't lose it but rather get it back when the cruise is over.

Last time we were in SXM, I needed more Chivas Regal for our cabin bar. They happen to sell 375ml hip flask style glass bottles there (never seen them anywhere else). They fit perfectly in the pockets of cargo shorts, with no obvious bulges.

YMMV.

Kevin C

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I should have been clearer, I do have rum runners.

They will xray your bags when you reboard. If they suspect you have something they will send you over to the table to open and review. Never tried to refill my rum runners so can't speak from experience if they catch it or not. I always bring enough at the beginning of the cruise :D

Our last cruise, Port of Miami (2012) not only was my carry opened by security (after it was put through the x-ray but everything was taken out. We always transfer the lotions/shampoos/sunblock into our carry on for boarding versus letting them go in our checked bags after a mishap we had on Princess (very messy & lots of cleaning). So my guess is it depends on the port whether your carry on will be checked or not.

Happy Sailing!!!

I guess you didn't see what I responded to

Everything gets the xray and if they see something then they search the bags

This is an interesting thread! I've never heard of rum runners before but looked them up on amazon and am considering buying them... The ones I see are 8oz and 16oz. My husband tends to wear pants with big pockets (carpenter jeans). If he were to stuff them into his pockets is it safe to assume they'd go unnoticed? Since (I'm assuming) they don't do body searches and there's no metal so it wouldn't trigger any alarms.

This is an interesting thread! I've never heard of rum runners before but looked them up on amazon and am considering buying them... The ones I see are 8oz and 16oz. My husband tends to wear pants with big pockets (carpenter jeans). If he were to stuff them into his pockets is it safe to assume they'd go unnoticed? Since (I'm assuming) they don't do body searches and there's no metal so it wouldn't trigger any alarms.

We haven't done this personally but I have read reports that this works:)

Forget Amazon and just go to the source: http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

Use the 32oz size for putting in your luggage, they're a bit bulky unless you're pretty big yourself.

The 8oz size fits in a pocket or waistband and you can walk through the metal detector with nary a raised eyebrow. Handy for that first beverage after boarding if you don't want to dig through your carryon.

Note: plan on filling them about 2/3 to 3/4 full else they bulge a bunch at the bottom.

They will definitely find it if you attempot to carry it on. In respect to placing it in your luggage or using Rum Runner, note that the ports due have the technology and ability to find any alcoholic beverages whether in the bottle or in packages such as rum runners. On some days at some ports (their may be a security warning) the agents may be more aggressive. Basically if you wish to smuggle alchol of board be prepared that they will find it, if they don't you have a pleasent surprise.

We've taken an empty RR back on board and had no issues...also, the vodka in a carnival water bottle works great :) it really depends what port though. With San Juan, we literally walked on with a bag of beer, but in Orlando, our pop bottles were scrutinized. We also noticed that leaving Barbados, the station to check your booze was so far away from the scanner, nobody noticed if you didn't....:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have purchased my beverage of choice and refilled an empty rum runner while in port. I wrapped the rum runner in a towel in my bag and they didn't detect it when it went through the scanner. I have also hidden a rumrunner on myself, under my shirt and walked right on.

They will definitely find it if you attempot to carry it on.

You're "definitely" is demonstrably false based on just reading this thread. I've yet to have anything found or confiscated on any cruise. That goes both for carryons and checked luggage. The only thing I will agree with you on is that you should be prepared to lose what you're smuggling.

Yes there is technology out there where they can narrow down the density signature of different organics; however we'd see a lot more reports of confiscations if that technology were in active use at this point.

As it stands the smart smuggler takes advantage of the fact that the xray machines scan in one axis and don't present a three dimensional scan.

We also noticed that leaving Barbados, the station to check your booze was so far away from the scanner, nobody noticed if you didn't....:)

Thought I've not tried it myself, it appears it'd be pretty easy in most places to buy two bottles in port to put in your bag. Go through the scanner and chat them up saying you know you'll need to check them in. Pull one bottle out as you walk over to the check in table and check it in. :D