Can facebook messanger be used on Divina to stay connected with kids

liveinns

This may be a silly question but I have to ask :-) We are a family of 5 travelling on the MSC Divina in March. All 5 of us have smart phones. However, it is way too expensive to use them for texting each other while on vacation. Our Canadian cell phone provider does not have any decent package option that would work. And I would like to be able if possible to reach our teenagers if need be while on the boat. Wondering if we could buy a internet package from MSC on the Divina for the family and be able to then use facebook messanger to message each other onboard if need be? Is there wireless connection everywhere on the Divina if you purchase a package? And how much would a package cost for the whole week ....I am scared to ask...lol

Anyone know the answer to these questions?

To use Facebook you'd need to be connected to Internet constantly and charges are per minute so I don't see this being an option.

This "app" was discussed on this forum recently. From what I read its not really an app (I don't think you download anything on to your device) but rather something that's part of the satellite Internet service on the ship (but free):

http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/About-MSC-Cruises/News/MSC-Divina-Traveler-Web-App.aspx

You can also scan the first 4-5 pages of the boards and see if you can find the thread that discussed it.

Edit: doesn't look like that link is working. Just google "msc divina on board app" and you'll find the web page.

Edited by Mattingly23

Internet –

(Charged in actual time used, not by the minute):

$29.90 for 60 minutes

$44.90 for 100 minutes

$99.90 for 300 minutes

$149 for 480 minutes (8 hours)

$299.90 for 1,440 minutes (24 hours)

Not a good idea for what you need it for. We have our son check in with us at predetermined times. If he doesn't, the consequences are that he sticks with us. He makes sure he checks in! There are "house phones" all over the ship. We point them out so he is familiar with what to look for. We find out what to dial to reach the cabin phone and he leaves a message. I can also retrieve messages from the cabin anywhere on the ship. Might be extra complicated with five kids. We only have to keep track of one 14 year old. Good luck! Also, we've never been on the Divina so I'm hoping their phone system works this way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This may be a silly question but I have to ask :-) We are a family of 5 travelling on the MSC Divina in March. All 5 of us have smart phones. However, it is way too expensive to use them for texting each other while on vacation. Our Canadian cell phone provider does not have any decent package option that would work. And I would like to be able if possible to reach our teenagers if need be while on the boat. Wondering if we could buy a internet package from MSC on the Divina for the family and be able to then use facebook messanger to message each other onboard if need be? Is there wireless connection everywhere on the Divina if you purchase a package? And how much would a package cost for the whole week ....I am scared to ask...lol

Anyone know the answer to these questions?

Hi liveinns,

As Mattingly23 suggested, we'd recommend using the Web Traveler App. Once onboard, all you need to do is connect to the Wifi and open a new browser window and you will be prompted to login. There is no charge or internet package needed and there is a chat function that will allow you to stay in touch.

Regards,

This is great to know. Before I read this thread, I replied to another thread asking questions about this app....lol. Do we download the app on each phone beforehand or only once onboard? Cant wait to try it.

It is webbase. meaning it runs from the browser screen. No Application to download.

Hi liveinns,

As Mattingly23 suggested, we'd recommend using the Web Traveler App. Once onboard, all you need to do is connect to the Wifi and open a new browser window and you will be prompted to login. There is no charge or internet package needed and there is a chat function that will allow you to stay in touch.

Regards,

I was doing a search on my iPhone for this app and nothing was found.

Is the exact name MSC Divina Traveler Web App?

Bosjoe-

Once again, you are a life saver!

Thank you!

-Felix

Your welcome.

If your not tech savy they do have a internet area, but I'm not sure if there is someone there to help you.

You will have an internet ID which will be on your shipboard access card.