NCL Gataway vs. Allure of the Seas

marimos

Help! We are going on a much needed but very last minute cruise and I'm really torn here....

We haven't yet been on any of the newer mega ships so we've decided we wanted to give'm a try. So NCL or RCCL?????

I have been on Royal several times and have always had a good experience..(old and newer ships). Our last cruise was in 2011 on Royal's Liberty of the Seas, and it was fabulous.

We did a NCL cruise back in 2008 on an older ship and we were soooo disappointed! Everything from the service to the food was subpar....It's the only NCL cruise we've done and it was an old ship and many moons ago. I've been told that they have since revamped the company..... Being that the Getaway is their newest ship, I thought maybe we could give NCL another try but I'm a bit nervous given my past experience....I know it's not always the case, but I'm thinking, you get what you pay for...

Here's the thing: I have the option of a 7 night, Eastern Caribbean-balcony (upper deck-mid ship) with $150 on board credit on NCL's new Getaway (which sounds fabulous), or, for the same price, a 7 night Western Caribbean -inside, mid-ship promenade room with a $100 on board credit on Royal's Allure of the Seas.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Edited by marimos

Help! We are going on a much needed but very last minute cruise and I'm really torn here....

We haven't yet been on any of the newer mega ships so we've decided we wanted to give'm a try. So NCL or RCCL?????

I have been on Royal several times and have always had a good experience..(old and newer ships). Our last cruise was in 2011 on Royal's Liberty of the Seas, and it was fabulous.

We did a NCL cruise back in 2008 on an older ship and we were soooo disappointed! Everything from the service to the food was subpar....It's the only NCL cruise we've done and it was an old ship and many moons ago. I've been told that they have since revamped the company..... Being that the Getaway is their newest ship, I thought maybe we could give NCL another try but I'm a bit nervous given my past experience....I know it's not always the case, but I'm thinking, you get what you pay for...

Here's the thing: I have the option of a 7 night, Eastern Caribbean-balcony (upper deck-mid ship) with $150 on board credit on NCL's new Getaway (which sounds fabulous), or, for the same price, a 7 night Western Caribbean -inside, mid-ship promenade room with a $100 on board credit on Royal's Allure of the Seas.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

We always compare prices of RCCL, Carnival, Disney and RCCL when we start cruise-shopping. To make a long story short, I create a spreadsheet and list everything from the name of the ship to the date sailing, type of stateroom, length of cruise and destination, year of ship, ports, and amenities on the ship. The last two times that I've done this, NCL won out over the other lines. RCCL's price for a comparable stateroom and itinerary always works out several hundred dollars more for us, so we began choosing NCL. We are so far very happy with NCL, and will continue using them in the future.

Mariner of the Seas was our least fav cruise (tho still liked it) but Allure was our absolute FAVORITE--due to the ship.

My parents put NCL as their distant 4th fav line...below Celebrity, RCCL & Princess. (tho I cannot give an opinion as we have not done NCL)

You will not regret sailing the Allure; if it is a promenade room it does have a window to the promenade.

I'd say the only advantage to NCL is you are getting a balcony, otherwise the Allure wins in all other categories, hands down. (itineraries are a wash to me...have places we love both E & W Caribbean)

But be warned--Allure spoiled us! Nothing quite lives up to it!

It WAS an inside promenade.:(...Unfortunately, it was no longer available.... Only other available cabins were balcony rooms for a little over 4k. So, we booked with NCL. It's a brand new ship with a nice itinerary so I am keeping an open mind and looking forward to a great time and a much needed getaway from this cold weather!! I'll be sure to post a review.