Malecon- step by step, please- iguanas!!

Cruznjuly

Hello!

We plan on using day 2 in PV to explore Malecon.

My son is 11 and obsessed with iguanas, so I thought it would be super cool to see them in the trees!

I've read many many posts on getting to Malecon, but can someone please break it down for the directionally challenged!? We need specifics, please, not just (take the bus to the furthest point, etc)

We would like to walk the entire length and definitely see iguanas. If it's walkable from ship and back, we will do that but if it's more sensible,

We can use transportation one way.

Please- so a dummy like me can understand- what's the best route to see the Malecon- shopping and iguanas?

Thanks! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure. Easiest way:

Walk off the boat and make a left. Walk to the Pemex gas station on the corner, you can't miss it. There will be a line of YELLOW taxis ready for you. Tell them Hotel Rosita, that is the beginning of the Malecon. Should cost no more than $8 one way total for up to 4 people. Always agree on price before you get in. When you get to the hotel start walking South (ocean on your right). Lots of shops etc. when you get to the bridge turn left, you'll follow the river inland, many kiosk vendors. Look up in the trees and around the tree trunks. Go to google maps type in "hotel rosita puerto Vallarta" zoom in and you can see the route described. Also view the marina area and you'll see the Pemex station on the corner.

I think I've seen you on our roll call. Scroll up a few pages on it and there is a link to a video traveling up the river. I'm going to put this same directions over there in case anyone else can use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

In the Southside ( about a 3 min walk from the Malecon just keep on the Malecon on the ocean side you will walk over a bridge and go into the ocean front of the South side.

About two blocks from the Sea Monkey oceanfront Playa Los Acros hotel has three Iguanas that live there. The staff feed and water them daily and they have a little house to escape from the heat.

Every so often they decide to jump from the roof and into the pool or walk around the pool side mingling with the guests. They were born there, their mother passed away a few years ago. She was a charmer :)

Also we always see wild Iguanas in the tree right across from Cafe Roma as well as the area PP wrote about. Lots of good shopping at the vendor kiosks on the river walk. Your son will enjoy the bridges linking the river shopping area to downtown. I like them only after a margarita or two:eek:

This first map shows the Malecon.....at the bottom of the map you can see the walk over bridge (by the PARKING lot).

http://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-downtown-map.html

The second map shows the Southside

http://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

If you choose to take the local bus (7.50 pesos --Less than a dollar US) go out of the terminal and turn left. Walk to the stoplight and go left a few feet and look for a white bus with a blue streak that says Centro on the window (avoid one that has Tunel). The driver will take US dollars and will give you back some pesos in change. He will not take US coins.

The bus will turn left off the main road at the beginning of the Malecon and will stop about 1/2 block up the street. Get off and walk back to the Malecon and you will be where you want to be. As others have said, you can walk off the Malecon onto the island to see shops and iguanas. Go back to the malecon to continue past the Sea Monkey and Los Arcos hotel.

Getting back to the ship by bus -- Look for the same color bus that has WalMart and Sams Club on the window. It will use a street about two blocks away from the ocean, so you will need to walk up until you see buses, then look for the one you want. When you get near the dock, you will get off at the stop near the Pemex station and cross the street to go back to the ship.

If you are walking the Malecon, when you get to the bridge that crosses over Rio Cuale, you could walk down the steps to Isla Cuale (an island in the middle of the river). If you walk a little ways up the island, you will see THE RIVER CAFE on your right, a nice restaurant for a drink or bite to eat....where you should be able to see iguanas! Ask for a table next to the rail overlooking the river, and tell the person who seats you that you want to see iguanas. There are lots of trees there where the iguanas can be seen in their natural habitat. They've even installed some "ledges" onto some of the trees where iguanas like to perch, but also can be seen up in the tree limbs, or sometimes down on the ground. Good luck, and enjoy your stay in PV! :)

If you are walking the Malecon, when you get to the bridge that crosses over Rio Cuale, you could walk down the steps to Isla Cuale (an island in the middle of the river).

We were there last week. One of the Isla Cuale shop vendors pointed up into the trees at an iguana. Ask any of the flea market vendors on Isla Cuale, they will trip over themselves to spot one for an 11 yr old boy. He should also love the jungle ambiance flea market.

Last week, we also did the zip lines ($65 per person) and saw a kudamundi sitting in a tree, only a few feet away in the jungle. If you ask the zip line company, they will drop you off at Isle Cuale at the end (once off the ship, ask in the cruise terminal for the $65 zip line tour with the donkey ride at the end).

We ported for 2 days off Carnival last week and did the nice free walking tour on the 2nd day and saw the Iguana on Isla Cuale (the walking tour was 2 hours long - an 11 yr old might get bored)

Free walking tour => http://pvangels.com/news/1850/get-acquainted-with-puerto-vallartas-historic-downtown-with-free-tourist-tours

kudamundi

8523059485_82634443a9_m.jpg

Indeed as mentioned at the River Cafe and in the trees on the bridge of Rio Cuale you will certainly see iguanas.