Thomson pricing out solo cruisers

I was looking into cruising for the first time.

To get a price went online with Thomson and requested 2 weeks in August on Thomson Dream for one person

I was allocated a single cabin but the price included a £700 single person supplement

The cabin is advertised and sold as a single, the cabin is smaller than the doubles so why the supplement

I have spoken to Themson agents and they cannot explain. I have also written to Thomson but no reply received.

Has anyone got a reasonable explanation for the charge:(

It is the way they price singles. You pay half fare for a double plus a additional fare for being a solo cruiser, all this as you are occupying a single cabin!

actually your single cabin may contain 2 single beds or even an additional fold away bunk as well. For each ship Thomson decide which cabins they will offer as singles, these may be in undidesirable locations. the ones on Celebration/Spirit are mostly ex crew cabins down by the engines and prop shafts. Things are better on Majesty and Dream with cabins dotted all over. I tried a 5 nighter on Dream and booked outside 5008. It was OK and not noisy apart from the normal aircon hum. I also noticed 5012 and 5016 are larger with 5016 having 50% more space for the same price. I would be wary of aft cabins on Dream.

Thomson having singles in bad locations is bad for business. not for single but for larger groups who need a nearby cabin for a friend, elderly parent, young teenage daughter etc. Their choce of cabin locations is restricted so they cruise elsewhere. On the old Destiny most cabins were available for single occupancy at the single supplement. It is a pity they can't do it for their ships.

ps - other cruise lines have single cabins but they won't be significantly cheaper than occupying a double on your own. Maybe a few tens of pounds.

Feel so sorry for solo passengers in this situation. Thomson have very few single cabins and passengers are encouraged to book early to secure a cabin.

We have sat at a table with a solo passenger who paid more for a noisy single cabin at the back of the ship than a couple who had booked a deluxe cabin as a late deal.

The lady said as each single cabin sells the price increases as there are now fewer cabins available, while double cabins are often reduced in price nearer the departure date.

For the first time ever I have had to book a single cablin and couldn't believe the cost I would jump ship but I do love the majesty and her crew they have always been good to us, but I may have to seriously consider using other cruise lines. I also wrote to Thomson's and have not received any response.

My first ever cruise was almost 3 years with Thomson, and I didn't really know what to expect but I have to say that I wasn't aggrieved at the room or cost - perhaps mainly because I didn't know of anything else. The first thing that struck me as odd was that even though I'd booked a single cabin the room came with two single beds on either side of the room, obviously an old staff quarters room as it also had a proper key rather than a key card! But I didn't mind it, for the amount of time I spent in the room it was fine.

Then last year, again as a solo cruiser, I had to book a "normal" room as I was late in booking and all the solo cabins had gone. I priced it up as a solo and also as a couple just to see the price difference and there was hardly any. I know we solo cruisers pay a premium but it's awful at having to almost pay double - and as has been mentioned, there's no loyalty scheme, no added incentive or gratitude for being a return cruiser.

My problem now is I don't know who to turn to. I originally booked with Thomson as they'd been highly spoken of by family and I honestly had no problem on either cruise with how I was treated or the service I received. I enjoyed the relaxed nature of it, the informal dining even in the MDR. However, with Thomson now not sailing from the UK I'm looking at other cruise companies - how do they compare for solo travellers?

I really liked Thomson's morning meeting of solo travellers, where you could go along and meet others who were there on their own. I met some absolutely fantastic people last year, many off this site, who made the 2 week cruise so much more enjoyable. Do all cruises do that, or are you left to your own devices? I'm 28 and so, apologies for being a bit ageist here!, don't tend to fit in to the normal demographic for cruisers so not sure how I'd get on trundling around on my own for two weeks on a P&O / Fred Olsen / Celebrity

My first ever cruise was almost 3 years with Thomson, and I didn't really know what to expect but I have to say that I wasn't aggrieved at the room or cost - perhaps mainly because I didn't know of anything else. The first thing that struck me as odd was that even though I'd booked a single cabin the room came with two single beds on either side of the room, obviously an old staff quarters room as it also had a proper key rather than a key card! But I didn't mind it, for the amount of time I spent in the room it was fine.

Then last year, again as a solo cruiser, I had to book a "normal" room as I was late in booking and all the solo cabins had gone. I priced it up as a solo and also as a couple just to see the price difference and there was hardly any. I know we solo cruisers pay a premium but it's awful at having to almost pay double - and as has been mentioned, there's no loyalty scheme, no added incentive or gratitude for being a return cruiser.

My problem now is I don't know who to turn to. I originally booked with Thomson as they'd been highly spoken of by family and I honestly had no problem on either cruise with how I was treated or the service I received. I enjoyed the relaxed nature of it, the informal dining even in the MDR. However, with Thomson now not sailing from the UK I'm looking at other cruise companies - how do they compare for solo travellers?

I really liked Thomson's morning meeting of solo travellers, where you could go along and meet others who were there on their own. I met some absolutely fantastic people last year, many off this site, who made the 2 week cruise so much more enjoyable. Do all cruises do that, or are you left to your own devices? I'm 28 and so, apologies for being a bit ageist here!, don't tend to fit in to the normal demographic for cruisers so not sure how I'd get on trundling around on my own for two weeks on a P&O / Fred Olsen / Celebrity

You could try one of P&O's more relaxed ships. Azura, Ventura, Oceana and the new Britannia. All but Oceana have single cabins but i found the ones on Ventura noisy. You can book single occupancy of a double for between 40 -70% supplement. They do run most cruises from southampton but you can fly cruise to the med for a week aboard Oceana.

There are hosted coffee mornings every sea day plus unhosted on port days. You don't get the hosted breakfast, lunch or dinner i have had on Thomson but that is P&O for you. Don't expect to see many young people at the meetings, one young lady passenger told me she does not go because it reminds her of a womens institute!. Maybe worth a visit on the first morning though as a large number of solos might turn up. Numbers them dwindle, on a couple of cruises it has been just me and 2 entertainment officers!.