First Cruise After Drydock on Miracle? NCL Star good alternative?

cdamion

Well, I am finally returning to cruising after a couple years' of land based trips. I booked a family cruise on Miracle, but have since learned it is the first cruise after a drydock.

I have ALWAYS avoided this in the past. How good is Carnival about having everything done for the first cruise back?

For those that have done both, my alternative is NCL Star (I need to do the cruise that specific week). Is NCL ok? I have sailed Carnival, Princess and Royal and prefer Royal ships, but Carnival staff.

i do not know the answer to your question but i am curious, when is Miracle scheduled for drydock? we are sailing her augg 12..

Miracle drydock is early March 2015. The first cruise back is Mexican Riviera on 3/21/15. Apparently it is 2.0 upgrade.

I don't really want to go on NCL, but I don't want 1/2 open venues and construction either. Especially since I dont get to cruise as often anymore.

I've been on the Star several times (Mexican Riviera) and the Splendor, not Miracle. So, while I can't compare directly, perhaps this will help a little.

The entertainment (especially the headliners) on the Star was far superior to the Splendor. I really liked the crew on both ships. Food is so subjective, but in general I thought it was about the same...except I liked the desserts on the Splendor more. The waterslide is a complete waste on the Star. Kids programs were comparable.

There is only one aspect of the Star that is way superior to the Carnival and that is the suite life. If you can swing it, (the new non-balcony Family Suites on deck 12 are beautiful and affordable-sleep up to 6...can be had for about $4k), the suites are well appointed and the perks are awesome. Separate dining room for breakfast and lunch, butler and concierge, daily treats (like chocolate covered strawberries, canapes), captains reception, priority boarding/tender. My family felt spoiled! Completely worth the $, IMO.

We were happy going from NCL to Carnival and approached it with an open mind. I think you will be happy too. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Delayed thank you. Your post is actually helpful because I have done the Splendor's Mexican Riviera cruise, which I enjoyed immensely. Right now Splendor is my favorite ship (which I did not expect over the Spirit class).

Unfortunately, I can't do the suite life, but that is fine. As you can see from my signature, I did switch to NCL because I just don't want to deal with the first sailing after a bigger drydock from unfinished areas to crew not used to the new venues.

I think traditional dining will be the only area that I will miss, but we'll see.

Well, I am finally returning to cruising after a couple years' of land based trips. I booked a family cruise on Miracle, but have since learned it is the first cruise after a drydock.

I have ALWAYS avoided this in the past. How good is Carnival about having everything done for the first cruise back?

For those that have done both, my alternative is NCL Star (I need to do the cruise that specific week). Is NCL ok? I have sailed Carnival, Princess and Royal and prefer Royal ships, but Carnival staff.

Personally, 2/2, they weren't finished. I will never sail a post drydock again.