Hair....

Do most cruise brides get their hair done prior to boarding the ship? Or do you do it yourself?

Our wedding in on embarkation day - on a Sunday in Baltimore. We have a very small wedding party (matron of honor, 3 flower girls) and most places that come to the hotel room to do it have either a 3-4 ADULT minimum or a $$ amount minimum. (About $500-600) I cannot justify spending that much getting my hair done. But have NO idea how to style it on my own and make sure that it hold up all day long.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place in Baltimore to get hair done that early in the morning. OR, are most of you just styling it yourself?

THANKS!!

I debated the same thing. If you do your own, you may still want to do it before boarding, since you aren't sure how much time your will have on board to get ready. If boarding gets held up by customs, you may have very little time. So, do it ahead of time so you just need to do a few touch ups maybe, but aren't stressing over hurrying to do the whole thing.

Originally I had planned to do my own hair & makeup. But, then I started thinking that it will be a long day between when I can do it and when I want to look perfect. I figure hair will be done around 8-9am, wedding at 1pm, reception ends at 3pm, then muster drill at 4pm, then photos around 5pm. That's 8 hours that it would have to hold up and I know that I can't do my own hair/makeup to hold wedding perfect for that long. Although there would be time for touch-ups throughout the day. If you do your own, look online, or talk to a stylist beforehand, to find out tricks to make it last longer. For makeup, I've seen that using primer is critical to making it last. For hair, probably a lot of hairspray. The pros can make it last, but its mainly the products, not some magical ability. Maybe even set an appointment for hair & makeup so they can show you how to do a particular style or you can see what products they use or recommend. And try out the products and techniques before hand. The morning of your wedding isn't the time to experiment.

In the end I decided to go with a pro stylist, because they were really affordable in New Orleans. It's only going to cost me $300 to have them do my hair & makeup, plus hair for 2 bridesmaids and 2 flowergirls, and that's with them coming to our hotel morning of the wedding.