NCL Jewel or Emerald Princess best one for kids

mommycruiser

We have been on both the Jewel and the Emerald Princess but neither with kids. Our dd has only been on one cruise so far (two in a couple weeks) when she was 22 months. That was NCL Pearl, which is a sister ship to the Jewel.

Your kids would have fun on either and I think the kids programs are both good, although our dd has done them yet. NCL has a little show that the kids work on all week and perform in the theater. They also have Nick characters and activities like a Dora Dance Party, character meet and greet, photo ops, etc.

The EP is larger and has two pools, one with the Movies Under the Stars screen. I think that one also has the adults only pool in the aft. The ship is probably a little more classically designed with Tuscan decor, making it feel more upscale, but I think the service and food is comparable.

The biggest difference is the dining. NCL pioneered the freestyle (eat whenever you want) concept with main dining rooms that are free and specialty restaurants for a surcharge. Even though most lines have some sort of anytime dining now, NCL still does it the best with the least wait times. Most other lines still try to do some sort of traditional dining, which I think messes it up a bit. If you really want a set time, Princess is probably better or you can make reservations on NCL. Also, there is no formal night on NCL. They have a "dress up if you like" night but everyone doesn't participate. Princess still has two formal nights on a 7 night cruise. If you don't dress up you can still each in the buffet without formal wear.

Either ships would be great and honestly I would choose by price and ports. Princess is one of my favorite lines and is probably slightly more upscale than NCL, but with kids you're probably looking for fun. That said, we're going on our 10th NCL in a few weeks, so obviously we like them too.

Teri,

Thanks for the info...both are same price and same ports so I will probably go for the Princess since I have never tried that line. Hope that the kids enjoy the kids club there. Do they give you a pager and can you leave kids during port days in club?

Laura

If you've never been on Princess, do that. You won't be disappointed.

Our dd just turned three this week, so she hasn't been in the kids club yet. I don't know if they have pagers. I'm guessing they have port day options. If you post on the Princess board, I'm sure someone will answer.

Have fun!