Tokyo to Vancouver Canada - May 2014

Chetwynd

Has anyone taken this cruise before. Wondering what weather is like coming across in May. Also 7 days at sea into Vancouver. Is this too many? Could it be boring? We plan to start with 6 days in Shanghai then onto Toyko for cruise but not sure about so many days at sea and unknown ports:confused:

Has anyone taken this cruise before. Wondering what weather is like coming across in May. Also 7 days at sea into Vancouver. Is this too many? Could it be boring? We plan to start with 6 days in Shanghai then onto Toyko for cruise but not sure about so many days at sea and unknown ports:confused:

We did this one several years ago. The weather was very good, warm, with no rain, until Sitka. However, in the North Pacific the seas ran so that for three days we had a slight, but permanent list to starboard, or so it seemed. We were luckier than some, the year before it seems, most of the outer decks were closed, due to ice for the same three days.

We made a couple of stops, on the crossing before Sitka, and were quite often in sight of islands. I advise the cruise.

john

Thanks John. This would be from Japan to Vancouver, BC - Not Alaska - I am still researching. The best part of the trip would be a week in Shanghai and the few days in Tokyo but it is nice to thing we could sail into a port that is literally ten minutes from our condo!

The north Pacific would always be questionable, I think, but that's part of the adventure of a transoceanic voyage, IMO. As for sea days and whether or not you'd be bored, it's hard to say........Last spring I did a transatlantic with 8 sea days and can promise you I was never bored. I loved the sea days so much, I"m doing a transpacific this year with 14 sea days.

My ship does the Japan - Vancouver (via Alaska) repo in April or May nearly every year.

Typically from Tokyo the weather is cool, and gets progressively colder as we head North.

By the time we get to Northern Russia, there is plenty of ice in the water and outside temps are cold.

Plenty grey skies, wind, and rain, with occasional snow.

Two years ago the ship got stuck in an ice field off the Russian coast and had to be pulled out by a Russian ice-breaker.

The Aleutians are very snowy and very cold.

Most businesses are still closed for the Winter.

Very few tours are available in Alaska.

Vancouver is warmer, but typically cool, grey, and rainy.

The demographic onboard is mostly older pax on fixed incomes, and people who do not like to fly.