Aix on our own

CrucianGal

We are planning to visit Aix on our own from Marseille. We want to get an early start since Saturday is market day there. We have stayed in Aix on a land trip and know that it's very easy to get around there. I was wondering if anyone has gone to St. Charles Station in Marseille from the large cruise ship port? I have read that it is difficult to get a taxi from the port to the train/bus. What I am reading is it takes a shuttle from the port to the exit and then a metro to the station. Can anyone give me advice?

Thanks

Ellen

Have never seen a "metro" shuttle from the main port, but perhaps we were sleeping on our many visits. It is true that the taxis may not be willing to take the short haul passenger to the station...although if you ask the drivers you might get lucky. You can always take the cruise line shuttle bus to the old port and then walk to the train station (it is a hike but very walkable). You can also get on one of the public buses from the old port area and ride to the Gare.

Hank

Have never seen a "metro" shuttle from the main port, but perhaps we were sleeping on our many visits. It is true that the taxis may not be willing to take the short haul passenger to the station...although if you ask the drivers you might get lucky. You can always take the cruise line shuttle bus to the old port and then walk to the train station (it is a hike but very walkable). You can also get on one of the public buses from the old port area and ride to the Gare.

Hank

Thank you for your reply. I was told from a roll call member that the metro station is at the old port, it's station "Vieux Port" 2 stops up to Saint Charles.

Edited by CrucianGal

Thank you for your reply. I was told from a roll call member that the metro station is at the old port, it's station "Vieux Port" 2 stops up to Saint Charles.

That is true, but the Vieux Port (old port) is nowhere near the cruise port. So when you said a shuttle to the "exit" that was a bit confusing. If you are a fast walker you can walk from the Vieux (old) Port to the St Charles Station in about 20 min. If you want to take the Metro you will have to walk over to the Vieux Port Metro Station where you need to buy a ticket (it used to be about 1.30 Euros) for the Metro. By the time you have paid for the shuttle (some cruise lines charge up to $10 for this bus) and then metro you have paid up to $12 per person and wasted a lot of time (waiting for shuttle, going to metro, waiting for metro, etc).

So, if you can get a taxi to go to the station for about 20-25 Euros, and have 4 in the taxi (sharing is common) it is actually cheaper and a lot faster to get a taxi from the port to the train station. Of course if there is no taxi willing to do the short trip then you are stuck with the shuttle and then metro, local bus, or walking.

Such is the dilemma of the independent traveler...and this has been my travel life for about forty years :)

Hank