If I don't go.

tammymacb

Thanks all. From what I see, I'm past buying insurance.

We sail in April and I paid in full Jan 27th. From what I see, for pre existing conditions to be covered, you have to pay buy the insurance within 15 days of payment.

Pre existing means you. Not your non traveling immediate family. So as long as you are not canceling for a pre existing condition that you have you are covered.

Buy the insurance and cover the entire family.

Edited by Crusin6

Buy the insurance TODAY. A few months could be May or June. Even though the insurance will have a pre-existing condition limit, his doctor could complete the paperwork saying the diagnosis was a few months, not a few weeks if, God forbid, he were to pass right before the cruise.

The doctor will not lie on the paper work and risk his license.

The doctor will not lie on the paper work and risk his license.

Non issue. She is covered if she buys it as it is not her condition it is her fathers. Pre existing doesn't come into play here

Edited by Crusin6

First, sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis. Losing a parent is never easy.

According to my Carnival PVP who I have used a few times and love! He is extremely knowledgeable. You can actually purchase the insurance through Carnival up until 2 weeks before your sail date...so, if your not going until the middle of April you should have more than enough time to purchase the insurance.

Exactly

I am sorry to hear about your father. As others have stated, a few months could mean anything, only time will tell. We are in a similar situation in that my husband's grandmother was given about 3 months to live - over a year ago. We did not expect her end time to fall anywhere near our vacation when we booked and now that she is declining we are faced with deciding "what if" when it comes to vacation. I wish you and your family the best, and hopefully you will be able to go with your family.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Like others have said, I would not notify them ahead of time. Just be a no show.

I am not sure if your husband would need a consent form from you to take the girls on cruise by himself. Not sure if this just applies to separated and divorced parents. Maybe someone on here knows what the rules are about this.

Sorry about your Dad.

Thanks all!

I didn't realize that pre existing meant for us only. I'll buy insurance.

That is totally my understanding and I have bought insurance many times. Remember though there are different levels of coverage with corresponding prices.

Just read it through and you will be fine

Do remember though that it may not cover you if you just don't feel like leaving your parent. The parent would need to have died or be very close to the end however that might be defined by the insurance company.

Edited by Crusin6

Thanks all!

I didn't realize that pre existing meant for us only. I'll buy insurance.

If you go to Insuremytrip.com you can compare different policies side by side. To me it is much easier to compare the different ones at that site.

If you go to Insuremytrip.com you can compare different policies side by side. To me it is much easier to compare the different ones at that site.

That's where I buy my insurance. Once you find a policy you like you can call and ask questions to the company you choose.

I am so sorry for you to have to be going through this with your family. We just went through this last week! My father had been I'll for about 4 years. I booked a cruise for this April last May A daughter booked a trip to NYC for this week last summer. All paid for. About six weeks ago Daddy started declining. We struggled with the guilt over worrying about our trips at a time like this. Doctors don't really know. They told us 4 years ago that he had less than a year. I did buy insurance. Don't let anyone judge your decisions.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Very sorry abut your situation. :(

One thing I'm wondering is if your DH will need any additional paperwork since your kids will be traveling with only 1 parent?

-Just something to look into.

So sorry about your dad also..I am wondering how what would happen by not having an adult in one of the rooms? If the girls are only 17, I am not sure Carnival will allow? It is my understanding there has to be an adult in each room. I hope it all works out for you all.

So sorry about your dad also..I am wondering how what would happen by not having an adult in one of the rooms? If the girls are only 17, I am not sure Carnival will allow? It is my understanding there has to be an adult in each room. I hope it all works out for you all.

I thought that my ta told me once that it would be ok as long as the rooms were within a few cabins of each other. Also thought I read that here. It could have been Ncl though that allows this

I think a general info call to ccl is needed. Don't give names or ressie numbers though

Dh should also have authorization paperwork to take the kids too. But 17 at least in New York us legal age so might not be needed

This is why the entire family needs to be insured. If they can't travel without mom then they will be covered because grandpa is an immediate relative and they would be expected to want to satay with him

Edited by Crusin6

I a going thru this right now. My dad was diagnosed with a non-operable cancerous tumor next to his brain in Sept. 2013. We were given 8 months to a year. We are now at plus six months. However, in the last two weeks he has steadily gone down hill and we are looking at hospice care next probably after his next apt.. 3 weeks ago I books a weekend cruise for my birthday. ( next weekend). I guess I was naïve..I just keep thinking he's doing fine..

The money I'll lose is minimal, ( less than $200) .

Losing my dad, well there are no words. From one daughter to another, I wish you the best, enjoy the time you have. Your in my thoughts:(

No, the girls can be in there own cabin as long as they are in a cabin that is near the one where the adult traveling with them is located. We've traveled with our DS since he was 9 and since he was 15 he's been in his own cabin with a friend his age that is near us.

The rooms are side by side. Carnival will let the girls have their own room. I checked that out prior to booking.

Buy the insurance TODAY. A few months could be May or June. Even though the insurance will have a pre-existing condition limit, his doctor could complete the paperwork saying the diagnosis was a few months, not a few weeks if, God forbid, he were to pass right before the cruise.

Any doctor would write a note for this... especially a "caring doctor."

No it is not insurance fraud... nobody knows when anyone is going to die.. it can be pneumonia related to the cancer that cause the death.. and not the illness it self.

Cathy

Edited by rjrice1

Check out Allianz America for trip insurance ...we just booked a cruise for spring break...and paid in full...see what their policies say...it may be better than the cruise lines insurance...in fact I rarely buy through the cruise line for insurance. I know our policy covers death of family member and serious illness. Sorry to hear about your dad.

I would check about getting insurance. I always book with insurance. My husband and myself was booked on the Glory last November. The week before we were so supposed to go my DH was hospitalize. I canceled because he was sick in Critical Care unit. He was in CCU for 11 days and passed away with chronic pancreatitis and pneumonia. Carnival paid me what the owed so close to the cruise and the insurance I booked through Carnival paid the rest. I had papers to fill out and send in a death certificate it was no problem...

Edited by rkbeaux08

Just want to check back in here

So. Everyone understands now that the existing condition only applies to the passenger correct?

It does not apply to a pre existing condition that a non traveling immediate relative of the passenger may have

Good. Just wanted to make sure correct info is being passed around here

Edited by Crusin6