Rent snorkeling gear, or buy?

DeeDee1214

My boyfriend and I are heading to Bermuda in October. We were thinking about just buying the snorkeling gear, but I didn't think about the fins and the vest... all of that could become pretty pricey. I've only been snorkeling once, so are the fins and vest necessary if you are only going off shore?

Would it just be easier to rent?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Personally, I like using my own mask and snorkel for sanitary reasons. Fins you should be able to rent. As for whether you need fins or not, well that really depends on the how far you want to swim, the current, and your physical condition. Fins will propel you through the water much smoother and faster than with out them. You will be able to cover a much larger area and see so much more with them. The vests may be required if you go with a excursion or private organized snorkel trip. They are a safety thing. If you are on your own, you may not need them. We snorkeled in Hawaii and vests weren't required, but they were available for rent.

I would rent the fins and vest. Both of these items make it a lot less taxing as far as physical effort to spend an afternoon in the water. However, if you intend to dive to the bottom the vest can be a real handicap because you have to keep letting out the air and then replacing it. Guided tours generally make you wear a vest. Rule of thumb - If you are very comfortable in the water, can swim well and float, you could forego the vest. I never wore a vest but then, I was a red cross water safety instructor and lifeguard for many years. Water is my second home.:D

I would buy a mask that fits well. Nothing spoils time in the water more than a leaky mask. Additionally, buy the snorkel. No matter how well they 'say' they sterilize the equipment after use, do you really want to put something in your mouth that you don't know where it has been?

Happy bubbles.

• 2 weeks later...

AllenF when I opened your recommended site, the first page was on their neoprene mask straps. These straps are a lifesaver especially if you have long hair. Keeping your mask on is now comfortable with these straps. We found them in colors to match our masks.

Hi

Sorry to butt in but is it possible to buy snorkel gear on the islands. Just to save the bother of packing them. Easier to buy there and leave behind. And the thought of using a snorkel that gods knows how many people had in their gob YUK

Won't be needing them at home thats for sure. Unless I want pneumonia :D

I bought mine six years ago at Sam's Wholesale. Also check Costco if in your area. If you use it more than twice, it's worth it. Not to mention you do not wonder who used it before you.

I second that idea. We purchased two sets of snorkel gear at Costco a couple of months ago and they have been great sets. Even came with a special bag formed to fit fins and mask and snorkel. Very compact and easy to carry. Have used them a few times already and this was a great purchase. I would never rent a snorkel. You never know where that thing has been. :D

I would definately have my own mask fins and snorkle. Sometimes you can get a deal if you get all three.You are comfortable with them, you know they fit. You don't have to worry about who has used them and if they are clean! It also saves some time not waiting to rent. You can always take them to most beaches and go on your own if you want.

Good luck and enjoy.

Should I buy a vest or rent one?????? I have my own mask, snorkel and fins. Can you rent a vest if you find out you need one? In the past I've used one (out from s boat) and also not used one (off shore). Don't know if I should buy one. Thoughts??? TIA - Lois

Lois,

If where you are going rents equipment, they will have the vests. We own our own for the same reason(s) we own the rest of our gear. The vest has a valve on it to blow and release air into the vest. When using a rental - who knows what mouth has been on the valve :eek: . You can buy them online for about $30.00. We always take them along and have them should we need them. My dd is 12 and gets tired easier then the rest of us. She uses the vest to float along with no worries.:)

Lois,

If where you are going rents equipment, they will have the vests. We own our own for the same reason(s) we own the rest of our gear. The vest has a valve on it to blow and release air into the vest. When using a rental - who knows what mouth has been on the valve :eek: . You can buy them online for about $30.00. We always take them along and have them should we need them. My dd is 12 and gets tired easier then the rest of us. She uses the vest to float along with no worries.:)

Thanks - that was my thought - YUCK - who wants to blow something up when you don't know who or where it's been. I'll buy one. Just really haven't used one much before. :eek:

Looking through some old threads on this subject I found a link that has a special right now for a mask and dry snorkle for $10. Not sure about the quality but it might be worth a look. I'd appreciate any feedback from members who can comment on the quality of this combo:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BLRMSKBL.html

John

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking into snorkeling for the first time on our cruise in December. If we decide to puchase snorkeling gear for our family of 4, what would the average cost be?

I am not sure if we should buy the gear as I don't know how much we will all enjoy snorkeling:confused: .

It sounds like you can see some amazing fish an coral.:)

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

You can buy some real basic gear in Walmart for about $10 (mask and snorkel). You really don't need fins for the first time out. Last cruise we took my DD's friend along and picked up a $10 set for her since she had never snorkeled before. It all worked just fine and she had the time of her life.

WE all have our own equipment bought from Sportmart for $50 for all 3 items. I wouldnt want to put a snorkel in my mouth that had been used by and spit in by others. It is a pain to pack all this stuff too. But always get a better fit on the mask too if it is your own becuz you can try it all on at the store first.

Thanks all for the wonderful information. DH & I are on the Carribean Princess on 10/22 for our first cruise. We have booked the catamaran sail, which includes snorkeling and have decided to try it (our first time ever). After reading so much here, we decided to purchase our own equipment (oh, YUCK, but I couldn't used a rented mouth piece). We picked up a fin, mask, snorkel set at Dicks Sporting Goods for $39 (was actually on sale, so we got 20% off that).

I do have one question, however. I keep seeing mention of vests.... for someone who's never snorkeled before, and is a moderate swimmer... would it be wiser to have a vest? And what do they run? Is this something that can be folded smaller for easier packing?

Thanks ahead of time for any answers... and keep up with the good info!!

Lee,

the vests can fold flat and really do not take up much space if you have your own. They run about $29.00 on most on-line sites or you can find them at your local dive shop. Stores like Wal-mart etc. do not carry them.

Some of the cruise lines private islands require that you have on a vest when snorkeling. If you are a moderate swimmer you really would not need on in other circumstances. There is a valve on the vest (another item you have to put in your mouth) that allows you to inflate and deflate the vest. When inflated you can just float along and take in the scenery below. If however, you get the hang of it and want to dive down to get a closer look at something, you would have to deflate the vest.

You can rent just the vest on the cruise lines private islands. I think on RCCL islands the vest alone is $6.00. Before we purchased our own, we would put a small baggy over the tube before putting into our mouths.

Hope this has helped! Have fun and don't forget your underwater camera.

~Donna

My husband is a moderate swimmer and never wears a vest. First off you will float much easier in salt water and second wearing the fins helps a person to float easier and swim better. You kick with your feet almost the entire time, a light flutter and then helps you stay afloat to gaze down at all the fish right underneath you.

This question is a bit after the fact, but can anyone share with me their thoughts on thd Del Rio brand and/or the explorers combo at snorkel-mart? I haven't snorkeled since being a small kid, but I will be 50 in February and I need to get some swimming in for exercise. And just as I used tennis for running, I would prefer to snorkel for swimming!

Thanks!

Dee Dee,

That is when I plan on using mine. I got mine with the prescription lenses and tried them on in the house, I was impressed by the visual quality, I think it was better than my glasses, but I just have enough nearsightedness to be a pain both eyes are a -1.0.

Archived