Multiple Allergies and Celiac on Fantasy

sarahsema

Has anyone had experience taking a child on the Fantasy with multiple allergies and Celiac?

My daughter has Celiac and is also allergic to milk and eggs. We have booked a cruise on the Fantasy, but I want to be sure NOT ONLY that they will accommodate her but that she will enjoy it and feel special.

Most of life with those food issues is her being the "other" or different. I am hoping that a DCL cruise will follow in their theory of all kids being special!

Any experience?

I've cruised with a friend with multiple allergies. OK, the way the system will work--first, call DCL special services desk and tell them all you can about the allergy/celiac issues. What I mean is to list the allergies, not just say "many allergies."

Once on board, you will meet with your head server and/or chef. They will again review your instructions. The Dream and Fantasy have a special "allergy kitchen" where her food will be prepared each night; the Magic and Wonder have a special area, but it is not totally a separate room. The idea is that EVERY CM who is allowed to enter/work in this area remembers that it is "special" and they avoid cross contamination.

They will often give you/her the menu for the next night a day in advance so that they have preparation time.

You CAN do the buffets, but again, a chef or head server will walk them with you to advise you on safety. They often get her a serving from a container in the back rather than allowing you to scoop it from the line--again, no cross contamination that way. It is best/easiest to avoid the buffets; they will fix whatever you want in the galley of the sit down restaurants for lunch/dinner.

It is completely possible that room service will not be able to handle your situation. If the dining management feels it is not safe, they will just tag your room to indicate that she is unable to have room service--sorry, but again, for her safety.

She will be made to feel like a princess. She'll have the chef dancing around telling her that he WANTS to make something really special for her, so please tell him what she likes, etc. However, if she tries to order something "unsafe," they will say "NO." That's the point of ordering ahead--many times they can make a safe version.

Has anyone had experience taking a child on the Fantasy with multiple allergies and Celiac?

My daughter has Celiac and is also allergic to milk and eggs. We have booked a cruise on the Fantasy, but I want to be sure NOT ONLY that they will accommodate her but that she will enjoy it and feel special.

Most of life with those food issues is her being the "other" or different. I am hoping that a DCL cruise will follow in their theory of all kids being special!

Any experience?

My daughter has severe tree nut allergies and like the previous poster stated you will meet with the head server and maybe chef if you want to. She had no issues including in the kids club. Not sure how old your daughter is but mine was 5 at the time and able to ask questions. We actually took a galley tour later in the cruise and were impressed with how they prepare "special" orders back in the kitchen. They bend over backwards!

DCL is very accommodating to allergies! My dad, brother, and aunt are all allergic to wheat, non of their allergies are as severe as celiac disease but the staff treated them as if they did have celiac. Your table waiters are aware the night that someone at your table has allergies and so they ask you who it is then ask you what it is and just a little bit about what you can and can't eat etc. Each night you get the normal menu but the waiters will tell you what they have available that is gluten free. With our experience the waiters were very concerned and almost pushy that people with allergies eat food that accommodates their allergies, which can be good, but my family members felt as if they had to eat the food that was being specially prepared for them and couldn't order anything off of the normal menu even if there was stuff that they could eat (because their allergies aren't as severe they can eat food that has a little wheat or was prepared near wheat products). So they will definitely be careful with your food! I don't know if your going to Castaway Cay or not but DCL was also very good at bring their allergy food onto the island as well! They were serving burgers on the island so they made gluten free buns available to us there.

They will take care of you but if an allergy is not to severe I would not tell them an just avoid eating anything that you know have those ingredients (as you would normally) because other wise you will have your options cut down greatly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I only had gluten to worry about, but they were fantastic about it. My waiter had me order the night before for the next night's dinner and they were able to make anything I wanted gluten free. I'm sure they will have options that are eggless and dairy free as well.

I did see tofutti ice cream available up in cabanas during lunch.