Nassau from 8:30 to 2:00

wirefox

On the Carnival Sunshine in port from 8:30 to 2:00. I am so confused on what to do. Carnival does not offer Blue Lagoon. Do we have time to go on our own? What are safe beach options, water conditions and personal safety to consider. We have our own snorkel gear any beaches for that? Any info would be great! Thank you.

Donna

Hi,

I do not think you would have time to do the Blue Lagoon. It is at least a 20 minute ride by boat each way and I do not think the boats start running until 10 or 11. The Blue Lagoon website has the ferry times.

You could go to Junkanoo Beach, which is within walking distance of the port and then on the way back stop at the Straw Market or the downtown shops.

Junkanoo Beach is a local beach. Druing our Christmas cruise we took the grand babies there....I have never felt unsafe while there. I ahve seen people snorkelling at the beach.

That just seems like such a short time -- we have only been on ships that we have to be back at 4pm....

You could buy a day pass to either the Sheraton or Hilton. Not sure how snorkelling is at either place.

Yes, Junkanoo beach is within walking distance and a good alternative if you need a quick place to go. You could also walk up to the fish fry section for lunch. We ate at Goldie's conch house. Great food!

You definitely won't have time to go to Blue Lagoon. Take a cab to Cabbage beach on Paradise Island. It's the same sand as Atlantis but it's free. Beautifully clear water. We had the cabbie drop us off right near the Paradise Island Beach club. There's a little mini mart there that was convenient for beverages. We did rent an umbrella from a young man working at the resort. I have found that the public beaches on Nassau, like Junkanoo, are not as clean or as nice. But that's just my opinion. The British colonial Hilton, a few blocks from the pier, offers a day pass. They have a lovely little Beach that is set in the harbor with a view of the ships. Keep in mind that it's not really swimming in the ocean but if you only have a few hours it's a pleasant way to spend the day and food is available.

Edited by dohertm1

That is a very short time in Nassau. We have been many times and this past January we decided to take a short weekend cruise (weekend getaway which of course always mean Nassau) Since we have been there so many other times and done the snorkeling trips, the Atlantis Day Rate, the Breeze's all inclusive day, the straw market and all of that, for the very first time we decided to do a private tour and I am SO glad we did!!!! Mario took us on a great 3 hour tour , we saw the rich and the poor of the island, Atlantis, the beach, QueenAnn's staircase, the fort and got free samples of conch fritters that were pretty tasty! If you would like his contact information just email me at megator2@aol.com and I will be happy to share it with you!!

Hope you have a GREAT visit to Nassau AGAIN! LOL

We were there for the similar time frame and opted for a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton.

I liked it because it was within walking distance of the ship so we didn't have to worry about transportation or traffic tie ups, etc.

It is a safe walk there. Junkanoo Beach is a little further past it I believe.

It is a very nice property with a small beach and small pool area. It is very laid back and quiet, not a party place.

We booked through here.

http://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/nassauhiltonresortpass.htm

The cost was $60 pp for adults which came with $40 worth of food and drink vouchers. There is a discounted rate for children but I can't find it at the moment. You can email them above and they will get back to you quickly.

The swimming area is pretty small, I don't think there was much in the way of snorkelling. This company did offer a snorkelling tour departing from that beach a few times a day but not sure how long it was.