Bringing back Rum

disneymarie

In Bermuda we were able to purchase duty free and it was sent to the ship. With only one day in port are we able to purchase at the Rum factory, liquor stores duty free and have it sent to the ship or is it as is cost and declare at boarding?

Any other Spirits a must have from Nassua?

Thanks

Edited by disneymarie

In Bermuda we were able to purchase duty free and it was sent to the ship. With only one day in port are we able to purchase at the Rum factory, liquor stores duty free and have it sent to the ship or is it as is cost and declare at boarding?

Any other Spirits a must have from Nassua?

Thanks

We were in the Bahamas a couple of weeks ago looking to restock our bar from our last Virgin Islands cruise. You know what we found, the prices from our ship, the Carnival Splendor were cheaper than all of the places we stopped in. We found absolutely NO bargains on any liquor. We ended up buying from the ship. We didn't get to the Rum factory, so I can't speak for them, but any of the 'stores' we went into, prices were more than what our ship was selling them for. like 1 liter Bacardi's was selling for 2/$22 and on shore it was 2/$25.

Cheers

Len

We were in the Bahamas a couple of weeks ago looking to restock our bar from our last Virgin Islands cruise. You know what we found, the prices from our ship, the Carnival Splendor were cheaper than all of the places we stopped in. We found absolutely NO bargains on any liquor. We ended up buying from the ship. We didn't get to the Rum factory, so I can't speak for them, but any of the 'stores' we went into, prices were more than what our ship was selling them for. like 1 liter Bacardi's was selling for 2/$22 and on shore it was 2/$25.

Cheers

Len

Who are you sailing with?

We found the same thing(except for the no bargains thing, we are from Canada and liquor prices in ports and the US are considerably cheaper than home, unfortunately we can't bring a lot back). I didn't check all prices of course, but what I did was cheaper on the ship.

Carnival also has a price match guarantee on liquor. Bring them a photo of the cheaper price and they will match it.

The only difference I guess is if you find one that the ship doesn't stock.

The only thing I buy in port are the local rums you can't buy elsewhere.

Is there a favorite you have?

Last cruise I had a bar order of Captain Jack with juice set ups. At home I had a Malibu rum. So this is the better buy on ship, unless there is a yummy local in Nassua.

In Nassau I usually shop at Murray's on Bay Street. For flavored rums I like Ricardo, tho Old Nassau brand is not as good (my opinion). For regular rum I normally buy Havana Club. These are not on the ship, I have not seen them in Miami.

Who are you sailing with?

We found the same thing(except for the no bargains thing, we are from Canada and liquor prices in ports and the US are considerably cheaper than home, unfortunately we can't bring a lot back). I didn't check all prices of course, but what I did was cheaper on the ship.

Carnival also has a price match guarantee on liquor. Bring them a photo of the cheaper price and they will match it.

The only difference I guess is if you find one that the ship doesn't stock.

AS I said, we sailed Carnival, on the Splendor. Yes, they advertise that they will match any price that one can find. Of course, they are not going to stock every type of Rum or other liquors, so if you, or some that have already posted, like a specific brand it probably will be cheaper on shore. We weren't looking for that. We wanted basic stuff, like Bacardi's, some Kahlua, Jack Daniels etc. and we found we didn't have to show them anything, they already were cheaper than any of the locals on those products.

Cheers

Len

• 3 years later...
Is there a favorite you have?

Last cruise I had a bar order of Captain Jack with juice set ups. At home I had a Malibu rum. So this is the better buy on ship, unless there is a yummy local in Nassua.

Nassau does have a pretty good local rum < John Wattlings > There are 4 age expressions; price points around $25,$35,$60,and $120.Any liquor store in Nassau carries this brand and it is usually the same price as at the Wattlings tour (about a mile walk from the docks) Cheapest bottle is a mixer only but the rest are pretty good.If you take the tour,you can sample a flight of the first 3 for $6. You can watch it being bottled by hand on the tour, but the actual distillery is on the south side of the island and is not available to tour.

Our last stop in Nassau, we only got a few bottles of rum that aren't imported like Ole Nassau, Ricardo, Tortuga and John Watling's. The Watling's Amber is excellent for $35.

I have to agree with Giantfan on most of the prices. We got Bacardi on board for 4L/$40. No store in port could touch that. Also the few bottles of Havana Club that I found were priced about twice what they sell for anywhere else. I wanted a few bottles, but not enough to pay $30 for 3 year old when it should have been about $12-15.