Best place to eat??

taillon

We are heading out in a week with our first port of Progreso. We are not booking an excursion here...jsut thought we would check out the town, the beach, whatever we feel like doing. Could anyone recommend a really good place to eat? Or is the ship a better choice? I know we are going to have to check out the $1 Coronas!!!!:D

La Saint Bonnet is excellent. I had the best fish dinner of my life. Whole fish deep fried and it was excellent. I am not usually a big fish eater but will have it again in Oct at least once. Naturally, fish and seafood are very fresh.

If you decide to go into Merida I suggest Portico del Peregrino on Calle 57 between Calle 60 and 62. Great atmosphere and food in a courtyard setting.

For starters, try the Sopa de Lima. Better than granny's chicken soup.

Hola,

As hdawson pointed out LSB is good. The fish market is close, so the seafood is about as fresh as it can get. If you want a new experience take a stroll to the Mercado (market). I have no idea what I ate, but THEY were delicious,( and I put emphasis on they, because I went a little wild and had a major pigout!) There are little stores and cubbies that have different things going on. One may have women peeling oranges, while in another, someone is patting out tortillas. This is the only place that I have been where they sell eggs by weight. I don't know if it is by the pound or the kilo?

Explore this place. It can be really neat to see how the real people live.

It sounds wonderful! I have read some mixed things about Progreso on this board but I am really looking forward to visiting this port because as you point out, we can see how the people live! We don't enjoy doing the tourist type things that much, we like to go where the natives go! Thanks for recommending a couple places! Just a few more days!

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, we were too full to eat anywhere!! But we did stop at La St. Bonnet for drinks, chips, and pico de gallo. Miguel (Mike) was great! We just sat on the beach with Cokes and Coronas...very relaxing!:)

• 5 months later...

We cruised last June/July. You gave me great directions on how to get to Merida. My daughter and I went and had a great time! I have some newlywed friends who will be going in march. Any Suggestions on where to eat in Merida, or something special they should do/or see? Thanks

Penny

Cailey. The restaurant I suggested above is very romantic. Courtyard and good food. Portico del Perigreno on Calle 57 between Calles 60 and 62. Service was very good too.

Clackey mentioned the oranges. Don't be surprised that the oranges there are green when ripe. Limons are limes. There are no lemons grown in the area.

Hi guys,

Just got in about 11:00 last night. This was our third trip to Progreso, and even though I had been bummed out about another trip there, guess what? I had a good time again. Yes, that is correct. Even after doing everything in Progrso that there was to do, we found something new. The shuttle bus that took us to the mini-mall in town sold us a trip to an all-inclusive resort. That's right, all of the pina coladas that I could drink and a tour of the Xcambo ruins for $30. Oh, sure, I can't drink much, (too much Indian blood,) and the ruins can be seen in 15 minutes, but the place was gorgeous. All we did after the ruins, was lay by the pool and have our waiter bring the coladas, and people, I am an active person. This is the only time that we have just vegged out. It was nice. The only problem is, I don't know where I was. Dawson, it is very similar to Reef Yucatan. I'll have to dig in my dirty clothes and find my toe tag, eh, wristband.

• 1 year later...

Archived