Singapore and more - Ideas for Data?

We are on a Princess cruise in December and are not sure what is the best/cheapest way to keep in touch with family and friends whilst away for a month. Our itinerary is Singapore - Brunei - Phu My and Nha Trang, Vietnam - Sihanoukville, Cambodia - laem Chabang and Ko Samui, Thailand - Bali - Port Kelang and Penang, Malaysia - and finally Phuket, Thailand.

Family have mentioned internet cafe's and not sure how these work. If we are to use these do we use their PC's or is it worth taking our own laptop or tablet?

First time overseas travellers and any ideas would be very much appreciated thank you :)

Hey there kjets!

We did not use this facility but I thought I read about it (on these boards after our cruise had finished, or it could have been on the Prinny site!) :o (nothing like extensive research pre cruising I say!!!) However I am sure I read that princess have a complimentary e post card set up on their ships. It basically allows you to send a short message to family friends free of charge via a e post card set up. You will need their email addresses though.

A lot of port lectures will offer advice on accessing free wifi on land as well. Often the purchase of a drink / item is required!

I will have a dig about & see if I can find it again! :)

Ships Internet is very slow apparently.

...do we use their PC's or is it worth taking our own laptop or tablet?

Definitely worth having your own device so you can compose and read msgs, and view other files, while offline, i.e., while not paying the ship's high per-minute connection charges. With your own device, you can also connect at lower rates while in ports.

John

All the cruise terminals have free wifi. Most restaurants in SE Asia have free wifi and 99.9% of Hotels in SE Asia have free wifi.

Use your laptop when in port, you will be shocked to find that places like Cambodia and Vietnam have faster cheaper internet than Australia but mostly you will be able to use it for free with wifi:)

Australia has worse than 3rd world internet service at an above first world price! This also goes for mobile phone coverage and price!:o

If your contemplating looking for Internet cafes in Singapore I would suggest just buying a coffee at coffee shops like coffee bean or macdonalds most have free unlimited wifi. Unless you are a Singapore resident you will not be able to purchase a prepaid phone with data as they are strict with security there now after sept 11.

Sent from my iPad using Forums