Cave-tubing questions

pkg

Most likely this will be a personal preference, and since I am rather new to this site, would like to ask a few questions.

We coming to Belize the first week of October 2005.

1. When researching the different cave-tubing some of the sites say 4.5 hours and some (such as Carnival) say 7 hrs. Why the difference in length?

2. The choice between the different excursions, is this a personal preference, or is there one site that stands out as being better than the others?

3. I have read that recently there have been some mishaps, is this something that happens in the summer months, or will October have the rains that are going on now. I am taking an elderly person with me, and would not like to recommend this to them if there was a chance of a mishap.

Appreciate all the help I can get.:o

1. When researching the different cave-tubing some of the sites say 4.5 hours and some (such as Carnival) say 7 hrs. Why the difference in length?

2. The choice between the different excursions, is this a personal preference, or is there one site that stands out as being better than the others?

3. I have read that recently there have been some mishaps, is this something that happens in the summer months, or will October have the rains that are going on now. I am taking an elderly person with me, and would not like to recommend this to them if there was a chance of a mishap.

Hola pkg,

1. Some tour operators will take you through several caves. There are 7 caves in this region that can be tubed and it would take all day to tour them. Other operations may also furnish lunch. We toured with Wet & Wild in January and can recommend them highly. We tubed through 2 caves and stopped at Amigos for lunch. Mighty tasty!

2.Check these boards. If anyone has a gripe, it will show up here. I have seen good reviews on several companies and would not hesitate to book with any of them. Just do your research and pick the one that matches YOUR needs.

3.If I am not mistaken, October is about the end of the rainey season. These caves are located in the foothills and most of the rain in these mountains lands up here, so if there is alot of rain 50 miles away, it can still show up in the caves. Check with your tour operator before you book. I think that you are probably going to be ok. One word of caution, however. The hike to the caves could be a little taxing, with a slick dirt path that can be steep in places. I would not recommend taking this trip if you are out of shape or have any physical problems.

If you worry about making it back to the ship, book with the cruiseline. If you want a trip with fewer people and an experience in botony and history, book with a local. Very informative!

Although we haven't been there yet, we have booked with Coral Breeze after reading a lot of great things about them. There adventure includes lunch and takes 5.5 hours. I have also heard great things about Wet n Wild and Reggies. I don't think you can go wrong with these companies! But as Clackey states, you should be in good physical health. After reading some of the posts from a couple of weeks ago, I emailed Coral Breeze about high water. They told me that there had been a storm miles away and that the water rose quickly. No tours were allowed on the river once they realized what was happening. They reassured me that the trip would be cancelled if the water was high and money would be refunded....our safety is their first concern!

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived