NCL Jewel or RCL Navigator?

I have been looking at the kids sail free promos from both NCL and RCI...sailing out of Texas. I have been on both cruise lines and loved both cruises, but wasn't sure if any one had been on both of these ships with kids and had insight as to which one would be better? Kids range from 6 mos. to 15 years.

Does the NCL have the Nickelodeon stuff on every sailing? It is pricing out about $700 less for three midship insides. On the RCI I have two family staterooms (8500 and 8200) on hold, they are all the way forward if this makes a difference??

FWIW the itinerary is Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel on RCI, and Cozumel, Belize and Roatan on NCL. I didn't care for Belize when I was there...so I don't particularly have a preference.

I'll be taking some newly adopted first timers with me (if all goes well) :D

We've been on both ships and liked them both a lot. We were on the Navigator with 7 kids, ages 5-11. They still talk about all the fun they had; especially the ice skating and climbing wall, which the Jewel doesn't have.

We had one of the family OV staterooms at the front of the ship on the Navigator--( also had one balcony cabin) --it was a great cabin, very roomy with a bunkroom. Only one bathroom though. It was at the front of the ship, but our sailing was very calm, so it wasn't a problem. I'm sure in rough seas there would be more movement that a midship cabin.

All in all I think the Navigator has more for kids; we were by ourselves on the Jewel (no kids), so, except for the slides, which I saw children enjoying, so I didn't pay much attention to what was available that kids would like.

However, price is important too. The Texas ports are not my favorites, as the one cruise we did from Galveston had quite cool weather the first and last day, but I did like the itinerary.

We're trying to plan another family cruise with 5 adults and 7 kids for our 50th anniversary, so I feel your pain--it's a terrific chore to get everything organized at a price we can afford.

I've been on Jewel and its sisters, and a sister of Navigator.

I'd go on any of them again. Big help, I know. :rolleyes:

Forward will feel the most motion if the water gets rough.

Yes, Nickolodeon on all sailings of Jewel.

I'm sure there are plenty of things for kids to do on both ships.

Edited by mizlorinj

I haven't done the ships with kids, but I agree there is more kid stuff on the Navigator. If the family cabins are forward, you can take a quick ride up to the fitness center to use the hot tub, showers, lots of towels, sauna, restrooms, and steam room in the locker rooms. That can save a lot of wear and tear on your bathroom. There are also public rest rooms on deck 5 by the theater.

no advice, but I'm going to be watching for comments about the two ships. I live near San Antonio and am already dreaming of my 2nd cruise being a solo out of Houston/Galveston - NOT during kid heavy times.

Mytime...I would suggest asking which cruises are NOT included in the kids sail free promotions! We went on Holland America once when they offered kids sail free - BIG mistake. I did not appreciate all the "Why are there so many DAMN kids on my ship?" comments everywhere we went. It was spring break and KSF so not sure what they expected!

Thanks for your replies! It is such a tough decision. I remember the food on the Norweigan being really good, and with the Nickelodeon, mid-ship rooms and $700 savings I'm leaning that way. The kids won't even know about the Ice skating and rock wall, right?!

That said, RCI is my favorite cruise line! I'm so torn!

Mytime...I would suggest asking which cruises are NOT included in the kids sail free promotions! We went on Holland America once when they offered kids sail free - BIG mistake. I did not appreciate all the "Why are there so many DAMN kids on my ship?" comments everywhere we went. It was spring break and KSF so not sure what they expected!

Thanks, I would definitely go during least kid season, the reason I'm following this one is so I can learn about the 2 lines/differences. 1st cruise is the HAL Alaska but I would probably cancel if they did kids free!

I'm hoping to find a good comparison of those 2 ships since I can get to Houston or Galveston in a half day drive.

Thanks Rudyard!

I now have deposits on both sailings, lol!

The RCI we are in two OV family rooms, which are all the way forward for a total of $5061.

On NCL we have three mid-ship insides for a total of $3941. Which is over $1100 less!

Still debating though....not sure about those forward cabins. They didn't have any OV cabins on NCL that were side-by-side.