NCL Spirit, give me your 411.

Lydia B.

Sailing on the Spirit next month. I have read some very positive comments and previous passengers have talked of their love for the ship.

Tell me what you likef about the ship, food, eateries, special places or public rooms. Thanks!! Lydia😀

The Spirit is the only truly unique NCL ship in the fleet. It wasn't built for NCL - it was built for an Asian line, so it has beautiful Asian influences all over the ship. It's very easy to navigate your way around and seems to flow really well. Everything else is typical NCL - same restaurants, food, service, etc.

My favorite ship in the fleet! Our cabin was awesome and it was the best service of any NCL trip thus far. Loved the decor and the aft decks were perfect for a snack, drink or relaxing. They're tiered and some have cover/shade.

Hi Lydia-

I did a "live from" on the Spirit on the last cruise before drydock.

It was one of the most beautiful ships I have ever seen.

Here is a link to the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974054&highlight=live+from

I hope you love your cruise as much as I did!

Tracie-Lynn:)

Just off the Spirit yesterday! My favorite place was the Galaxy of the Stars lounge/theater/observation area (forward, deck 12). Lovely place to curl up in a cozy chair in the sun and look out to sea, or read. There was also a cozy alcove in Champagne Charlie's right by the windows (but almost always taken!).

I was not crazy about the Blue Lagoon or the Shanghai Bar as they were right on the main walkway out of the atrium. Tight, busy space. My husband and I did not care for La Trattoria, but the other speciality restaurants were good.

The decor of the ship was pretty and the crew and staff were very friendly and nice (even when they were looking a little green from the rough seas).

I have to agree that the aft area of the ship is a very nice open area, if you don't mind cigarette smoke.

We had a great cruise and you have every reason to be excited for your upcoming trip!

Just came back from the Spirit yesterday, and everything that was said in earlier replies is accurate, including the fact that the MDRs are not so great.

If you care about having a quiet diner, make sure you check where your table is located. On several occasions, we had a bad table, facing open kitchens, staring at neon lights and of course with a lot of noise, while the service from overworked waiters was pretty slow.

One night we insisted on a quiet table by the big windows (in the Windows MDR), and not only was it quieter, the service was clearly better and the waiters more available. However we had to really push to get it.

It seems as if these 'premium' tables are reserved for somebody other than us :D (even though we're latitudes silver and had a balcony room), maybe for suite people.

In summary, if you want a good table, don't be afraid to ask and fight a bit for it.

As for the Raffles buffet, I have to say that it is NCL like, it can be OK, though the food was very bland but at the right temp, and the desserts particularly (the cakes mostly) were tasteless. Also that place can get very very busy.

Regarding the cabin, due to the rough seas, there was a lot a creaking and shifting (expected I guess) but also some banging which kept us awake the first 2 night and which had to be fixed by the NCL crew (they added screws on the ceiling, greased the balcony windows). It was better after that.

Also, the bed is firm. It's fine if you like it, but if you don't, talk to your steward as they have foam pads they can add on top of your bed (and more than one if you want). The help desk told us they very often get this request.

Just came back from the Spirit yesterday, and everything that was said in earlier replies is accurate, including the fact that the MDRs are not so great.

If you care about having a quiet diner, make sure you check where your table is located. On several occasions, we had a bad table, facing open kitchens, staring at neon lights and of course with a lot of noise, while the service from overworked waiters was pretty slow.

One night we insisted on a quiet table by the big windows (in the Windows MDR), and not only was it quieter, the service was clearly better and the waiters more available. However we had to really push to get it.

It seems as if these 'premium' tables are reserved for somebody other than us :D (even though we're latitudes silver and had a balcony room), maybe for suite people.

In summary, if you want a good table, don't be afraid to ask and fight a bit for it.

As for the Raffles buffet, I have to say that it is NCL like, it can be OK, though the food was very bland but at the right temp, and the desserts particularly (the cakes mostly) were tasteless. Also that place can get very very busy.

Regarding the cabin, due to the rough seas, there was a lot a creaking and shifting (expected I guess) but also some banging which kept us awake the first 2 night and which had to be fixed by the NCL crew (they added screws on the ceiling, greased the balcony windows). It was better after that.

Also, the bed is firm. It's fine if you like it, but if you don't, talk to your steward as they have foam pads they can add on top of your bed (and more than one if you want). The help desk told us they very often get this request.

Just how "rough" was the sea? Was it rough all 9 days? We are going end of March and was hoping for calm seas and good weather. Was it warm?

Just how "rough" was the sea? Was it rough all 9 days? We are going end of March and was hoping for calm seas and good weather. Was it warm?

My husband and I got back yesterday from the Spirit. I believe the report from the bridge was 17 foot waves at the beginning of the trip. My husband woke up feeling very green the first morning (sea day), but we were in the very front of the ship. He took Bonnine, went back to sleep and woke up feeling better. He continued to take the Bonnine each day, though the seas were not as rough the whole trip and he did very well. We actually had nice weather when in port. Mostly sunny, high in the 60s or low 70s, though it was very windy in Lanzarote. The second night as we were headed to Casablanca I woke up to our sliding bedroom door opening and closing, the curtains sliding open and closed and an open door to the bathroom slamming shut. We got up and managed to jam everything into a fixed position and went back to sleep. Later in the cruise the sea went from "rough" to "moderate." By then I think everyone was getting used to it! It was very windy while sailing and I heard people complaining that the ship was chilly. I was very glad I had packed long sleeves. But of course we are from Florida and anything below 75 is chilly!;)

We sailed on her in the Med the middle of July and I was chilly several nights as well.

The boat itself is ok. There are no bells and whistles, ie: extra activity amenities as found on the medium to larger size ships. It worked for us because the itinerary was so intense, but I certainly wouldn't opt for her in the Caribbean.

The food was similar as found on other ships/lines. MDRs service is slow no matter the ship so no extra complaint there. Where we sat in one restaurant, it was noisy though (rattling & overhead noise) and we didn't have rough seas at all.

The entertainment last summer was just so-so; magician stunk, the acrobats were good and the singers were fair.

The library reeks of smoke; design flaw there with the cigar room next to it.

It is easy to navigate once you figure out that the elevators at one end of the ship don't go from 4 to 12.

I guess overall, if you're looking to relax then it should be ok, if you're looking to be active, then probably not so much.

We sailed on the Spirit in the first week of April last year. Apart from a pretty rough night sailing through the Strait of Gibraltar it was like a mill pond. Friend on the same cruise two weeks earlier had a pretty "rough time" The later the better time wise I guess but luck has a lot to do with it:)

We are on the same cruise so fingers crossed!

Edited by Big Chippy

We sailed on the Spirit in the first week of April last year. Apart from a pretty rough night sailing through the Strait of Gibraltar it was like a mill pond. Friend on the same cruise two weeks earlier had a pretty "rough time" The later the better time wise I guess but luck has a lot to do with it:)

We are on the same cruise so fingers crossed!

I would rather have the millpond but hubby is especially prone to seasickness and therefore I don't want to suffer him moaning and being unwell. :( Still looking forward to it. Here's hoping the weather will be kind to us. :)

My husband and I got back yesterday from the Spirit. I believe the report from the bridge was 17 foot waves at the beginning of the trip. My husband woke up feeling very green the first morning (sea day), but we were in the very front of the ship. He took Bonnine, went back to sleep and woke up feeling better. He continued to take the Bonnine each day, though the seas were not as rough the whole trip and he did very well. We actually had nice weather when in port. Mostly sunny, high in the 60s or low 70s, though it was very windy in Lanzarote. The second night as we were headed to Casablanca I woke up to our sliding bedroom door opening and closing, the curtains sliding open and closed and an open door to the bathroom slamming shut. We got up and managed to jam everything into a fixed position and went back to sleep. Later in the cruise the sea went from "rough" to "moderate." By then I think everyone was getting used to it! It was very windy while sailing and I heard people complaining that the ship was chilly. I was very glad I had packed long sleeves. But of course we are from Florida and anything below 75 is chilly!;)

Anything over 70 is positively "tropical" to us Scots. :)

Just got back from Spirit and was pleasantly surprised by her despite her age and size.

I liked the upper deck layout which seemed to make the ship seem larger than it is, especially the unique tiered aft decks which you don't get on the modern ships. Same as was nice to have a wrap around promenade deck with nice aft views over the wake.

The crew were one of the best of the cruises I've done. Just wished some of the internal venues like blue lagoon and Henry's were bigger as often were busy.

As others said we had some moderate swells most days and due to the size she does roll a bit, when Epic takes over this route (which is often choppy in Nth Atlantic Winter) she'd hardly move.

The cabins have the old ship creaks (I had deck 11 inside) and occasionally the toilet would take a few attempts to flush etc..

Cagneys good was good but service took 2hrs from seating to dessert. Tappenyaki was a lot quicker but with only one table booked up fast.

Just got back from Spirit and was pleasantly surprised by her despite her age and size.

I liked the upper deck layout which seemed to make the ship seem larger than it is, especially the unique tiered aft decks which you don't get on the modern ships. Same as was nice to have a wrap around promenade deck with nice aft views over the wake.

The crew were one of the best of the cruises I've done. Just wished some of the internal venues like blue lagoon and Henry's were bigger as often were busy.

As others said we had some moderate swells most days and due to the size she does roll a bit, when Epic takes over this route (which is often choppy in Nth Atlantic Winter) she'd hardly move.

The cabins have the old ship creaks (I had deck 11 inside) and occasionally the toilet would take a few attempts to flush etc..

Cagneys good was good but service took 2hrs from seating to dessert. Tappenyaki was a lot quicker but with only one table booked up fast.

Hi Craig can you confirm that the UBP was freely available to all. I called NCL UK and they advised that it was not available in Europe throughout Spring Break, confusing.

Either way do they still have beer, Martini and wine tasting along with beer buckets etc?:)

Stuart

Hi Craig can you confirm that the UBP was freely available to all. I called NCL UK and they advised that it was not available in Europe throughout Spring Break, confusing.

Either way do they still have beer, Martini and wine tasting along with beer buckets etc?:)

Stuart

I can confirm that Spirit and Jade were granted exemption and myself and many others purchased UBP onboard

We are on the spirit end of May and very excited about our trip . However So so hope all the reviews re slow MDR service and bland food is wrong . Food on cruises to me is one of the plus's of choosing a cruising holiday . " Eating out " breakfast lunch and dinner is part of the experience . We are previous P&O aust cruisers and The p&o menu is fresh varied and tasty and never lukewarm or cold . They even produce their own hardcover recipe book the food is that good. Also the service in MDR is outstanding with teams of two working together that have about 6 tables each and yes it's anytime dining like NCL although you can reserve a time and table in there MDR if you please including the same table every night if you wish . This is not due to the cruises being more expensive either - per night our NCL cruise is actually slightly more expensive in same category than our previous two P&o ,s . So why does NCL food in MDR often get a bad wrap . Is it because there are so many other options on board that you pay extra for they deliberately drop the standard so you will pay more for the others ??? Very excited about our cruise but so hope the cruisine will not let NCL down . Travelling with children it's not always an option to do the speciality restaurants .

We are on the spirit end of May and very excited about our trip . However So so hope all the reviews re slow MDR service and bland food is wrong . Food on cruises to me is one of the plus's of choosing a cruising holiday . " Eating out " breakfast lunch and dinner is part of the experience . We are previous P&O aust cruisers and The p&o menu is fresh varied and tasty and never lukewarm or cold . They even produce their own hardcover recipe book the food is that good. Also the service in MDR is outstanding with teams of two working together that have about 6 tables each and yes it's anytime dining like NCL although you can reserve a time and table in there MDR if you please including the same table every night if you wish . This is not due to the cruises being more expensive either - per night our NCL cruise is actually slightly more expensive in same category than our previous two P&o ,s . So why does NCL food in MDR often get a bad wrap . Is it because there are so many other options on board that you pay extra for they deliberately drop the standard so you will pay more for the others ??? Very excited about our cruise but so hope the cruisine will not let NCL down . Travelling with children it's not always an option to do the speciality restaurants .

The food sure beats the thinking about what we're going to eat, the shopping, cooking and washing up, so I'm happy. The speciality restaurants are good and I don't mind the MDR. Each to their own. I'm on vacation to relax and enjoy. Not to find fault in everything and complain.

The food sure beats the thinking about what we're going to eat, the shopping, cooking and washing up, so I'm happy. The speciality restaurants are good and I don't mind the MDR. Each to their own. I'm on vacation to relax and enjoy. Not to find fault in everything and complain.

I agree .. But you still pay for that food just like you would if you were holidaying on land . I am Just going off the many reviews . Hope all these people who are stating the food is cold and bland are just overly fussy . Cheers .