White Pass railway other excursions

calimn

I wanted to take the scenic Bennett excursion, but it is not offered the day we are there, Monday June 30. Having difficulty telling the difference between Summit and the Frasier Meadows tour. Does the Frasier also go to the summit but then also a bit beyond? Is it also different because it is a steam train? Does is still have the guide who gives commentary about what you are seeing? Has anyone taken FM and did you enjoy it?

Also I expect that even if just do summit still better to do independently vs the cruise line just due to small vans vs bus on the cruise line is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wanted to take the scenic Bennett excursion, but it is not offered the day we are there, Monday June 30. Having difficulty telling the difference between Summit and the Frasier Meadows tour. Does the Frasier also go to the summit but then also a bit beyond? Is it also different because it is a steam train? Does is still have the guide who gives commentary about what you are seeing? Has anyone taken FM and did you enjoy it?

Also I expect that even if just do summit still better to do independently vs the cruise line just due to small vans vs bus on the cruise line is that correct?

a summit

The summit comes first and traveling on to Fraser, BC is about seven kilometers farther on the railroad. The Klondike Highway goes up the opposite side of the valley as the train and meets the tracks at Fraser. Both would provide summit tours. Listed excursions can be confusing as to whether they are the railroad or the highway or a combination.

Many consider riding the steam train to be a special treat, narration is provided. Booking independently can offer smaller size and more personal tours.

On most days there are as many as 5 ships in port and the RR runs the Summit RT in the morning and afternoon. They also run one way trips to Frasier from where the buses either take folks to Carcross or to Skagway.

On Sat and Mon there are usually only one or two smaller ships in port and the RR cuts back on its trains and digs out the steam engine and does RT to Fraser. Fraser is about 6mi beyond the summit.

There are exceptions of course as there are some Sat and Mon where they run the usual schedule. Consult the WP&RR website for the schedule.

Most train buffs would love to ride their steam train.

Thanks for your help, yes I did check the web site, but it is not very clear on what is all included, that is why I asked. It is one of those Mondays where only 2 ships in port, so reduced schedule makes sense. Looks like we will sign up for the steam train to Frasier

Thanks for your help, yes I did check the web site, but it is not very clear on what is all included, that is why I asked. It is one of those Mondays where only 2 ships in port, so reduced schedule makes sense. Looks like we will sign up for the steam train to Frasier

I think you'll be very happy with the Steam Train, it is a bit special. If you are arriving on June 30th, that will be a four ship, 8200+ passenger day. Enjoy!