Debating between Getaway/Breakaway vs. Allure of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

yg90

I have an upcoming vacation in a few months that I would like to book a cruise on. I'm debating between NCL's Breakaway/Getaway and Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas. Could you help me make this choice?

Pros of Allure:

- Offers in-room babysitting (not available on NCL)

- Offers set dining option so that you can meet other people at your table (Does NCL allow you to share a table in the main dining rooms to meet other cruisers? This has always been my favorite part of past cruises is that anticipation of walking into dinner for the first time and getting to meet new people that you'll be dining with that week.)

- Larger ship with the boardwalk/central park. (Feels less like a cruise ship and more like a mall, which I think would be a nice change of pace)

- Broadway show (Looks more interesting than the NCL entertainment)

- Kid's parade with Dreamworks characters

Pros of Breakaway/Getaway:

- Never been to Bermuda and would love to go check it out.

- Newer ship (I prefer newer ships and these are the only options I'm considering because the other newer ships on all the lines will be in Europe)

- Better food (I've been on both NCL and RC before. NCL had slightly better food, but I'd say the specialty restaurants are a closer call)

- Haven area (would book in this area for the benefits. RC doesn't offer something like this)

- 2-bedroom family villa would be perfect layout for us. (RC doesn't offer a multi-bedroom suite in the same price range. But, I would have to book two rooms in the Haven for my family & the nanny, so it would be more expensive. On RC, I could book a suite and a regular room for the nanny.)

I'm really torn between the two choices and I'm probably about 55%/45% (leaning towards RC Allure right now).

Can you guys help me with the issues above to convince me to book on the Breakaway/Getaway?

Thanks!

We did Allure and loved it but we decide to go with Getaway over Oasis for our next cruise.

For us it was because we love the water slides and ropes course. That will keep my kids entertained for days. We also enjoy the specially dining option on NCL that allows kids they are 1/2 price. My kids eat like adults no chicken fingers or pizza they want escargot and fillet.

My kids will tell you the illusionariam looks so much cooler than anything they have seen on RCCL. They are super excited about that.

I will say the performance of Chicago on Allure was one of favorite ones ever for me and DH but my kids (9 and 11 at the time) could have cared less.

The diving show was great to watch. Watching it from some of those suites with the balcony that over look that had to be cool for those people.

If my budget could allow it I think that NCL Haven complex looks amazing. Love the idea of the exclusive restaurant. I just can not justify the cost for my family.

Sorry I am not much help but if you have done a lot of RCCL and want something different NCL is a great option. Kind of depends on what activities you want.

Hi:

As a family we have done Disney (Concierge), RCCL Freedom / Independence / Liberty (Grand Suites) and NCL Epic (2 bdr Haven Villa - twice).

My eight year old would pick NCL hands down and has asked to go back. We will probably be sailing the Getaway soon. She loves the kids clubs which is strange as she is very shy. She loved the water slides and the spider maze. The newer NCL ships offer more on deck activities than the Epic. She loved the Haven. She could always get in the pool and not have to worry about other people jumping on her or bumping into her. She totally loved the Entertainment.

As parents, we loved the extra space of the Haven suite. Don't under-estimate the value of having two bedrooms and two baths.

You can join others in the dining room if you wish. That is not our thing so we enjoy the ability to dine when we want and where we want. We just got off the Epic yesterday and had no issues picking a restaurant to try at the last minute. Even walked right in to Teppanyaki - which must have been a fluke.

We have done suites in all our cruises with our daughter and hands down, NCL has the best suite experience. Our daughter was spoiled rotten by having treats delivered to her by a doting NCL staff member. She liked having her own space and not having to pack up her stuffed animals every morning so that her bed could be transformed back into a couch or to put her bunk back into the ceiling. We liked being able to watch TV in the master or the living room without disturbing her. We could also come and go to the balcony as we pleased.

We can't go back to RCCL because of our NCL suite experience. I would recommend it without hesitation. As I mentioned, we got back last night from Epic and have spent the day picking our next cruise which will probably be the Getaway.

PS: Either way you choose, you'll have a fantastic time.

Can I be your nanny?:D:p

Sorry couldn't be of help doing the Getaway the 1st time this Fall. Was in a similar situation picking btwn the two ships. Ultimately we chose the Getaway because it seemed like a nice balance of quality entertainment, decent food, and excellent amenities. Looking at upgrading to the Haven myself. But if I do then I will have to upgrade another cabin also. Good luck!:)

Tough, tough choice. We did the Oasis last year and were very impressed. All the shows were top notch, and the ship was very impressive. This year it will be the Getaway.

The specialty dining on the Oasis was on par, and in some instances better than NCL. I would say the activity choices on the Getaway/Breakaway is better than the Oasis/Allure.

The Oasis class ships also seem oddly detached from the sea. Much of the public space is indoors, with even the upper decks inward focused.

That being said, I think you'll be happy no matter which you choose. Choose the one that has the most of what you want.