Question about adding additional people to exisiting reservation

jc106

DH, DD and I are booked in a Sky Suite and now want to add a friend, who is under 21. We are willing to pay the full single price, but can't book him because of his age. We don't have anyone over 21 who we can also bring, so we are trying to figure out how we can get him on the boat.

We have explored the possibility of changing our reservation to put one of us into the cabin with the friend. The only problem is that the 3 of us would still want to sleep in our suite. We aren't trying to be dishonest or "pull one over on anyone", has anyone ever done anything like this? Would the butler or room steward be put out? Are there any perks that we would lose by all of us not being booked in the suite?

Thank you for any help!

Jen

If you're looking to put three is a suite you should have no problem and will only have to pay the rate for an extra person which should be significantly lower than the single rate for even the least expensive cabin on the ship.

Of course this presumes they can fit three into a sky suite with a fold out, or roll out, bed, which I think can be done on most of the ships if not all of them. You should double check with your travel agent or Celebrity.

Edited by Lsimon

Why can't you book him? If he shares your cabin, age has nothing to do with it. If you book him in a separate cabin, without adding another person, you'll pay the single supplement---if you book your DH in the cabin, no one will care who sleeps there. But, a lot depends on his age. If he's an older teen, being in a cabin alone is ok, but if he's younger, I don't think a cabin alone would be the best idea. And if he's a minor, you'll need a notarized letter from both parents giving you permission to cruise.

Here are a couple of things to consider. If your cruise is close, there may not be any cabins available close to yours, and if he's a younger person, you're not going to want him on another deck, or far away from you. And, if you're cruse is coming up, they may not allow a third if the ship is at capacity.

One more question: Have you checked the deck plan of your ship to see if your cabin accommodates 3 passengers, or if a nearby Sky Suite does? If they do then this should be very easy and cost far less than your initial post suggested it might.

Cabins that accommodate more than 2 people usually are marked by a square, triangle or circle indicating a convertible sofa bed or upper berths. Usually a square indicates a sofa bed, and this is more common than the other options in Sky Suites, but do check the legend on the deck plan you're looking at.

Edited by Lsimon

OP already has three in the Sky Suite. Herself, her husband and her daughter.

She wants to book a cabin for a FOURTH person who is underage

OK, my mistake as I clearly had misread the original post and missed the point that they already had three people and the minor in question would be the 4th.

This gets into a grey area I'm less familiar with.

I will say that in general the requirement that a minor not being booked without an adult is primarily a booking control to make sure that the minor can not sail without an adult. They usually are fine with switching people between cabins after you've boarded even if the minors are in their own cabin. The Celebrity policies even allow minors to be booked in their own cabin if their parents or guardian is booked in an adjacent (nearby is also allowed) cabin. But I don't know how this impacts you relating to your relationship, if any, with the minor nor the location of the cabin you're looking to book for them.

My last experience with this was on Celebrity's sister line, Royal Caribbean, 10 years ago. On our last family vacation we booked our 19 year old, who was traveling with a friend who was also under 21, into a cabin on another floor and had no issue doing so. We'd cruise a couple times when the kids were younger on other lines with the kids in nearby cabins and always had to book one of us in each cabin and then switch when we were on board.

Have you actually discussed booking the minor into a single with Celebrity, or had your TA make the inquiry for you? I will say that if they'd allow this you can save some money by booking one of the adults with them and then moving that person into your suite. Your steward wouldn't have any issues with the switch and making up the sofa bed and customer relations will issue you extra keys for the third person. You can look at the suite perks to see what perks would be missed by the third person if they booked out of the suite. This might include the ability to dine in Blu on a space available basis and priority for tenders.

Edited by Lsimon

DH, DD and I are booked in a Sky Suite and now want to add a friend, who is under 21. We are willing to pay the full single price, but can't book him because of his age. We don't have anyone over 21 who we can also bring, so we are trying to figure out how we can get him on the boat.

We have explored the possibility of changing our reservation to put one of us into the cabin with the friend. The only problem is that the 3 of us would still want to sleep in our suite. We aren't trying to be dishonest or "pull one over on anyone", has anyone ever done anything like this? Would the butler or room steward be put out? Are there any perks that we would lose by all of us not being booked in the suite?

It should be no problem at all.

Depending on the location of the second cabin, you may or may not need to book an adult into it officially, but once on board nobody cares where anyone sleeps.

People cross book cabins all the time, for any of a number of reasons, and then switch once on board.

The staff and crew are very accustomed to such arrangements.

Just be certain to bring along proper permission from both parents for the friend to travel with you if he is a minor, and also permission for you to authorize medical treatment for him in case of emergency.

As far as perks, anyone who is not booked in aqua class or a suite would not be allowed to eat in Blu, if that is something that matters to you.

But you can certainly all eat together everywhere else on the ship, and you can invite whomever you like to join you for any meals in your suite or on your balcony.

Since the charge for booking one person in a cabin is usually the same as for booking two, you might consider saving the cost of the third person in the suite, as previously mentioned, by booking two people in the suite and two people in the second cabin. Then just move them around however you wish once on board.