Shore Diving West Bay

mobydog

Hi All- we are heading out on a cruise on Sunday and had a few quick questions. For some background- we are travelling with my parents, husband, me, son (13), son (9). Husband, me and 13 year old are dive certified. We have hired a driver for the day so if the best dive shop or dive spot is elsewhere we have options.

We are looking for a good place to rent equipment and shore dive in Roatan. We are thinking West Bay but are open to suggestions.

(1) Where is the best entry point at West Bay to shore dive?

(2) How far is the reef from shore?

(3) Where would you rent dive gear from and distance from entry point to reef?

(4) Web links or costs of rental gear (we need to rent 1 BC/regulator; 1 regulator; 3 tanks, and possibly lead instead of hauling it with us)

Thank you in advance for responding!

Hi All- we are heading out on a cruise on Sunday and had a few quick questions. For some background- we are travelling with my parents, husband, me, son (13), son (9). Husband, me and 13 year old are dive certified. We have hired a driver for the day so if the best dive shop or dive spot is elsewhere we have options.

We are looking for a good place to rent equipment and shore dive in Roatan. We are thinking West Bay but are open to suggestions.

(1) Where is the best entry point at West Bay to shore dive? We saw people shore diving through the kidney bean in front of Infinity Bay Resort.

(2) How far is the reef from shore? Reef is a very easy snorkeling distance from shore if that gives you an idea.

(3) Where would you rent dive gear from and distance from entry point to reef? Try Infinity Bay, but there may be others like Banarama. Infinity is in the best location, though.

(4) Web links or costs of rental gear (we need to rent 1 BC/regulator; 1 regulator; 3 tanks, and possibly lead instead of hauling it with us) Try this link: http://www.infinitybay.com/activities/diving/index.html

Thank you in advance for responding!

Last but not least, here is my blog post that includes Roatan from last week: http://sunshinenwine.blogspot.com/search/label/Western%20Caribbean

Thank you for your response. Did you use Infinity Bay? I have looked at their website and it says $22 for shore dive...is that gear and a guide? Do you know if there $12 full equipment rental includes a tank?

Thanks!

What day will you be in roatan? WE will be there thursday and have a reservation to dive, but they are going to cancel on us if at least 2 more people don't sign up. They won't go out with just two. If we are there on the same day we would love to share a boat!! My girls will be so sad if they don't get to scuba.

I can't remember who the company is off the top of my head. I contacted them about 2 months ago and they said they would contact me if they were able to fill the boat. I have not heard anything. My daughters scuba teacher here in town recommended infinty bay and Anythony's key but neither one of them responded to my request at all I think it is bananarama who said they would take us.

Let me know if you are there next Thursday March 20th?!

If you are not there on Thursday but find a dive shop who will take you, let me know who it is please. I had pretty much given up and we are just going to snorkel. We have a private driver too. We are going to hike a Carambola Park and then go to west bay unless can find a dive company who will respond.

Nevermind, I looked it up and you are there Friday and we are there Thursday. Bummer I got excited.

Edited by taymiss2

Do some research with one of the many dive shops in West End, Roatan. They bring beginners over to West Bay.

You can walk in right in front of Infinity Bay Resort and Tabyana Beach where the cruise ships have their beach days. That area has tons of places to snorkel and dive. You don't have to go far at all. If you ask at the dive rental area next to Infin Bay, they will point out the areas and routes to take to the big reef.

What day will you be in roatan? WE will be there thursday and have a reservation to dive, but they are going to cancel on us if at least 2 more people don't sign up. They won't go out with just two. If we are there on the same day we would love to share a boat!! My girls will be so sad if they don't get to scuba.

I can't remember who the company is off the top of my head. I contacted them about 2 months ago and they said they would contact me if they were able to fill the boat. I have not heard anything. My daughters scuba teacher here in town recommended infinty bay and Anythony's key but neither one of them responded to my request at all I think it is bananarama who said they would take us.

Let me know if you are there next Thursday March 20th?!

We will be diving with West Bay Divers in a couple weeks. They have been great to work with so far. They are $49 for a 1 tank dive, including taxes, rentals and marine park fee.

On our first visit on a cruise we used West End Divers….. great dive at Sea Quest Shallow. (We opted to do a one tank dive so we could also explore some of the island)

We have since been back twice - both times for a week stay at Infinity Bay condos. We have used Infinity Divers both times and they are THE best dive shop we have ever used (and we have used ALOT !)

They have boat dives at 8:30 - 10:30 and 2:30 every day (weather permitting) but you can dive off the beach anytime you want.

Their equipment is top notch and prices are VERY reasonable. They are professional in every way. I would contact them about a 10:30 boat dive (much better than shore diving) and see which site they would be diving on the day you are there. They have their dive sites all planned for the week ahead of time but if weather is an issue they may change for a better experience.

Thanks for who ever posted about west bay divers, We now have a reservation to dive and snorkel with them NEXT THURSDAY!! Yeah! we start our drive to New Orleans tomorrow.

:D Glad I could help! Hope you have a wonderful vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

We are back. Used West Bay divers. Girls had a great experience. They dove the Blue Channel. Saw two huge spotted rays, lobster, sea turtle too much more to name. Husband and I snorkeled and were able to watch as they came closer to where we were to meet the dive boat.

Everything went well. Thanks for the tip.