Water Temps/Snorkeling

lucigo

How much of a difference does it make whether you cruise in late summer versus Nov-Dec as far as water temps? I like my warm water but I also like cheaper cruise prices! :D

I'm thinking Belize/Roatan/Cozumel/Grand Cayman.

We always cruise during the winter months and we always go snorkeling. The water is fine. Never have we encountered cold water. Getting out of the water is very pleasant also. We don't get cold once out of the water. Save the $ and go in the winter. The temps. are perfect!

We have snorkeled off the reef of Belize in November and also in Jan.-Feb. The reef is shallow water and warms up nicely. Both times were great and couldn't hardly tell the difference between the two.

Enjoy the cheaper rates and go more often.

Edited by HawkIVette

Luci, Have done all my caribbean snorkeling in the winter (Jan/Feb) and never a problem with the water or air temps. Best "reef" places I've snorkeled in Caribbean is Belize and Roatan. At Roatan, there is an excursion to a private island at the end of the barrier reef. Excursion was 4-5 hours and you could snorkel to your hearts content... Was over 2 hours in the water. They have a small zoo area, some nature trails, and a clubhouse with lockers ($3) for storage. Lunch was also provided.

Steve

Sounds wonderful!! The only snorkeling we have done is at Champagne Reef in Nov, so I wasn't sure if the volcanic activity changed the water temps enough to make it an exception.

I would love to go in November for the prices and will definitely save the post regarding the excursion!

Sounds wonderful!! The only snorkeling we have done is at Champagne Reef in Nov, so I wasn't sure if the volcanic activity changed the water temps enough to make it an exception.

I would love to go in November for the prices and will definitely save the post regarding the excursion!

Luci, more about the excursion. It is a nice island and especially if you love to snorkel. You can either go out with a guide or on your own, it is "your" choice (at least it was a couple of years ago). Since I can snorkel and swim well, I asked them where the boundaries were. So they showed me, pretty far expanse, about a 170 degree arc. Swam out for a little bit then got to the edge of the reef where the dropoff was. And then swam around and in/out of the nooks. Beautiful reef, lots of color and coral variety. Fair amount of fish. Took LOTS of pics underwater. :) If you can get out there early, you can swim without a lot of people around which makes it more enjoyable not having to worried about getting kicked.

Steve

My last cruise was in December on RCCL. Went to Cococay, Bahamas and the water was FREEZING! There were people swimming, however we couldn't get the water past our legs. I'm sure if I were feeling brave I could have gone in since I did start to get used to the water temp on my legs after a bit, but I was a chicken. The weather was perfect though!! Nice and sunny!

Steve, is this snorkeling from a beach or from a boat?

I ask because we have been trying to get my 10yo son to snorkel. He has autism. He did wonderfully at the lagoon at the turtle farm in Grand Cayman, put his face in the water etc. But from the boat in Dominica he really was unhappy and overwhelmed and wanted to swim to shore.

I have considered bringing a window raft, but they are bulky. The other option is to leave him on the ship, but he isn't learning anything that way. ;)

Luci, more about the excursion. It is a nice island and especially if you love to snorkel. You can either go out with a guide or on your own, it is "your" choice (at least it was a couple of years ago). Since I can snorkel and swim well, I asked them where the boundaries were. So they showed me, pretty far expanse, about a 170 degree arc. Swam out for a little bit then got to the edge of the reef where the dropoff was. And then swam around and in/out of the nooks. Beautiful reef, lots of color and coral variety. Fair amount of fish. Took LOTS of pics underwater. :) If you can get out there early, you can swim without a lot of people around which makes it more enjoyable not having to worried about getting kicked.

Steve

Are you talking about Maya Key or Little French key? I've heard great things about snorkeling on both. But we're booked for Maya Key for May. The snorkeling is what sold us.

CruiseMore, yes Maya Key. Though they have changed how you get there. When we went, you walked over to a water shuttle that took you from the area around the ship pier over to Maya Key. Looking at the writeup now, you take a bus over to the piers across from the Key and then take a VERY SHORT shuttle to the key.

Luci, it is actually off a pier that you walk down to get to the point where you would snorkel. Though there is a beach area and shallows that your son could snorkel, though, I don't think he would see a whole lot. The things I liked about this trip:

1. Was able to snorkel for as long as I wanted (2+ hours is a lot), but could have done more.

2. End of the barrier reef (2nd biggest in world)

3. Wasn't reliant on the worst snorkeler in the group. I've had snorkel excursions cut short because some of the people just didn't want to do it anymore.

4. Fairly large area to snorkel around.

And not a big thing for me, but I am betting your son would like the other parts of the island. Read up on it in the shore excursions. In my view, definitely worth the money if you like to snorkel. One of the better spots we've snorkeled.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Steve

Agree with Steve, was nice snorkeling even though we were there right after a storm came through and water wasn't as clear as normal. But snorkeling is off a peir that you walk out and follow a bottle trail through if you want to go on your own. If you go the the caribbean port post find post by mitsugirly and she has reviews of Maya Key and West Bay in her signatures. Very good reviews and pictures. The other area you can goto in Roatan is West Bay (Infinity Beach and Banarama I think) there you can actually walk into area to the far end and snorkel from the beach.

The Ump

John

Meanwhile, back to OP's question.

Eastern Caribbean water in winter is cool, I often experienced some upper body chill.

Solved that problem with a rash guard shirt. Surfers are the primary market for these shirts so they are often slim fit.

You can find "loose fit" shirts at scuba and Sports Authority stores, or their kin,

I require the loose fit and "Body Glove" fits my need. They not only provide some warmth, but my Body Glove also has some UV protection, as well as protection against the tiny stingy things.

Body Glove is a long sleeve.

There are short sleeves, too.

Neosport and Speedo are a couple examples.

Edited by Stevesan

Thank you for all of this wonderful information! Snorkeling from a pier I believe would allow us a lot more flexibility in bringing a float and snorkel for him. We will have all summer to practice in the pool also. Eventually I will get this boy comfortable in the salt water!

I did see that the Glory does this same itinerary in October so we may try to move the trip up a bit to get a little bit warmer weather, but the shirts sound like a great idea (my dermatologist will love the idea!)

Someone who wants to make some money really needs to invent a more flexible option for a viewing raft!

The Bahamas (Private islands) are farther north than the ports you visit. We were in Grand Cayman in early January and the water was fine. A rashguard or any kind of base layer type polypropylene shirt will help you stay warm.

Please see listed below last months surface temperatures at three of the four ports you mentioned. The temperatures were recorded by my dive computer while on the surface. Expect warmer water in November.

Cozumel 79

Roatan 80

Belize 81