Caye Caulker water taxi tickets

buffkids

We will be in port on the Jewel on March 26, and it looks like 3 other ships will be there as well. Our plan for the day is to take a water taxi to Caye Caulker. Does it make sense to buy taxi tickets in advance? Do the taxis fill up on heavy port days?

I am unclear about how long it will take us to get to the port, since it is a tender process in Belize. We've never cruised before so we are uncertain about how much time to allow. thank you!

Thank you for the note about daylight ST... Although I have made myself quite confused about ship vs. port times as a never-ever cruised before person, I think I have figured out that Belize will be on the same clock as the other destinations (Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel) during my late March visit - and that will be one hour earlier than ship time. My number one Caye Caulker visit goal is to make sure that I am VERY clear on what time - Belize time and ship time - I need to be on a water taxi back to the port!

Yes these destinations are all on the same time. We were there in early Feb and docked 8AM which was 7AM Belize time. We had plenty of time to make the 9AM (Belize time) ferry.

The San Pedro Express water taxi office is a very short walk after you go through security leaving the port, just take your first 2 lefts.btyere will be some hawkers there with wood carvings, 1 was very talented. The girl at the window will sell you the tickets ($22.50pp RT) and the boats are right there. No worries about room.

We enjoyed touring CC and we all loved relaxing at Lazy Lizard - excellent food and cheap local beers. Beautiful water views, especially from the upper deck. The 4 of us took a golf cart taxi back to the ferry dock for $10.

Enjoy!

Edited by blue_water

Meant to add that you can also fly back if that interests you. That may give you another couple hours on CC. For us the flight was cutting it too close with the 10 min taxi back to the port so we ferried. But not expensive really and something different. You can google the airlines if interested, Mayan and another.

You fly into/out of the minu airport which requires a 10 min taxi from the tender area.

Tropic AIr and Mayan Island Air provide convenient flights several times a day between Belize City muni (TZA) and CC (CKR). Prices I saw were $41.50pp one way or $72pp RT. RT ferry is $45.00pp.

http://www.tropicair.com/

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/islandair/

Thank you for the flight info. That actually looks really fun - and different. Maybe I will surprise the husband and book a return flight. He'll think I'm crazy. When the departure time is 5 (4 belize time) does that mean that I need to be done with the whole tendering process and back on the ship with plenty of time to spare before 5 (4)? Meaning, do I really need to be at the dock for the tender around 1.5 hours before the departure time?

I imagine being st the tender port by 4:15 ship time would be fine, maybe even 4:30.

Weawaited to take a flight back but even with 6pm departure the schedule didn't work well. The 4:20 ship time flight and taxi was cutting it too close.

I will be booking a return flight and am deciding between the one that arrives at the municipal airport at 3:20, and one that arrives at 2:30. Our ship leaves at 5 pm Belize time. Do you think the 3:20 gives us time to taxi to the port and tender back to the ship? I don't want to cut it too close, at all. Also, do you know if I can find a snorkel tour easily on Caye Caulker without an advance reservation?

We chose not to take the later return flight because it was too close to our departure. I even talked to a rep at Tropic and he agreed. Bit it was a no- brainer. Nice option, especially if it gives yoaomori time on CC.

Can't help with your other question but I would try to arrange an excursion ahead.