Large Group Reservation - Chops

I see no reason why a group of that size would be a problem, especially in Chops, but I would say you need to reserve right when you get on the ship. My wife just enjoyed Chops for the first time on our July 2 sailing of Navigator of the Seas. Since the set up on Navigator mirrors that of Mariner, I can tell you that the back part of Chops seemed to be the perfect space for such a group occassion. Additionally, if the service is anything like what we enjoyed, the entire service staff of the restaurant takes care of you, so this should not create any overwhelming problems in catering to a group of 25. Again, reserve as soon as you get on the ship.

I would echo Marty's comments. Chops (or Portofinos) will only allow one group larger than 6 per night - my experience is that 25 would take up over 1/2 the restaurant. The reason for the rule is to keep all guests experiences positive - large groups tend to reduce the romantic atmosphere for other guests - its not a real big place!

When my husband and I went to Alaska on the Radiance two years ago, there was a large group of 20+ seated near us in the dining room. They were having a great time, but to the rest of us they were a tad loud and obnoxious. The night we ate at Chops, thinking one of the great things about it would be getting away from that large group, sure enough - they were at Chops at the same time we were. A couple of nights later we ate at Portofino and guess who else was there? They totally overwhelmed those smaller rooms. We loved the meals, but they weren't romantic and quiet ones.

I hear what you are saying but I have been planning this trip for the last 1 1/2, it is part honeymoon and part family reunion. We are staying in the RS and everyone else has a balcony, so as you can imagine, we are contributing quite a bundle to RC. We also travel quite frequently with RC (Diamond members). I think that our group, although larger than most, really have the same rights to dine in Chops as smaller groups. Anyway, we shall see.

Mark

I hear what you are saying but I have been planning this trip for the last 1 1/2, it is part honeymoon and part family reunion. We are staying in the RS and everyone else has a balcony, so as you can imagine, we are contributing quite a bundle to RC. We also travel quite frequently with RC (Diamond members). I think that our group, although larger than most, really have the same rights to dine in Chops as smaller groups. Anyway, we shall see.

Mark

I don't disagree - just giving you the logic. Make sure you get down to the restaurant right away - even before the dining room - especially if you are going to do it on a formal night. Many people (like ourselves) eat at these restaurants on the Formal Night instead of the main dining room - dress casual is accepted - and that means no suit or tux for the men/ dresses for the women!

Enjoy!

Archived