Booking Hotel in Seattle Pre-Cruise

Juicy2143

The port has secure parking at both cruise terminals. Which cruise line are you taking? https://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Pages/default.aspx

Look at the Maxwell hotel - http://www.themaxwellhotel.com/ or the Silver Cloud on Lake Union - http://www.silvercloud.com/seattlelakeunion/ - both of which have free parking. The Maxwell is basically across the street from Seattle Center (Space Needle, Chihuly etc.) while the Silver Cloud is a short walk from the South Lake Union streetcar to the downtown core.

Pike Place, no "s."

The Silver Cloud also provides a free shuttle to/from several downtown locations; give them a call to see if the van is accessible for a scooter. We consistently use this hotel for our clients with great success.... free b'fast, pool, good sized rooms, free laundy machines. Plus you can watch all the boat traffic and seaplanes on the lake. Great restaurants nearby too.

We are a party of 5-2 adults, 2 seniors, 1-15 year old. One uses uses a mobility scooter. We are driving to the cruise port in Seattle and need 1: have an inexpensive place to park the car for the duration

If you stay downtown, you will need to park elsewhere. Even just for the time you're staying and touristing around, downtown parking will cost a fortune. Out at the airport, there are hotels that have park and cruise packages, but downtown, nobody does.

2: find a hotel close to Pike Place Market, maybe downtown, for some walking site seeing.

I fear that if we stay at an airport hotel we won't get transportation for the scooter to get downtown, then the cost of transporting all our luggage and us to the port. With needing 2 rooms, I am looking for something as less as possible in price.

Downtown hotels are going to cost you--upwards of $150 a night, and more for hotels with more than minimal amenities or that are closer to the sights--and you'll still have the same challenge getting from there to the port. The scooter might struggle with some of our hills--if you do stay downtown, you might want to avoid places up the hill from the main part of it (Homewood Suites, Sheraton).

If you stay down by the airport, the light rail to downtown is accessible for the days you'll be touristing and not hauling luggage. There are a few hotels within reasonable walking/rolling distance of the street-side entrance to the airport light rail station: Clarion Seattle Airport, Rodeway Inn, Holiday Inn Seattle Airport, Seattle Airport Marriott, Hilton Seattle Airport. Some of those will be cheaper than most anything decent downtown. You could book an accessible cab in advance to take you to the port when you're going to board your ship. Yellow Cab has accessible vehicles.

Any suggestions?

The young one wants to walk around Seattle, see Pikes Place, Seattle Center, down town. It is a big thing for her-never been to a big city!!!:)

Getting around downtown downtown will have a few challenges for the person using the scooter. You'll want to enter and exit Pike Place Market at Pike Street. Pike Place, the main thoroughfare of the Market, is level, but First Avenue going north from Pike Street climbs a good bit--so the cross-streets north of there get increasingly steep. Also, Pike Place is paved with brick, so it's going to be bumpy! You can travel inside the Main Arcade of the Market, which is smoother, but that's where the crowds are. I always advise everybody to go to the Market early in the day, but with the scooter, that's doubly true--it's going to be crowded and tough to navigate if you go later. But definitely go--it's worth it!

For getting longer distances downtown (say, down to Pioneer Square), Metro has accessible buses that kneel to curb level, or have lifts for the scooter. You can learn more about that on the Metro site. Accessible bus service isn't flawless--I have friends who use wheelchairs who assure me of that!--but if you have patience, it's an option. The Monorail, which goes from downtown to Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP, Chihuly Garden and Glass, etc.) is accessible.

Hope this helps!

Thoughts on staying out at Port Orchard or Bremerton and taking the ferry in the morning of the cruise.....

Not sure where to stay pre-cruise. We will have our car since we are driving from Florida to the cruise.

Thoughts on staying out at Port Orchard or Bremerton and taking the ferry in the morning of the cruise.....

Not sure where to stay pre-cruise. We will have our car since we are driving from Florida to the cruise.

Actually, it's not a bad idea, if you have a good place to leave your car over there, and can walk onto the ferry. That means getting dropped off at the Bremerton dock, hauling your own luggage, and getting a cab or a town car at the dock in Seattle (easy to do--they're waiting right outside the terminal). It's unusual for the ferries to run much off-schedule, especially in the summer. Coleman Doc in Seattle is fairly close to Pier 66, and as close as most anything to Pier 91. If you're not looking to do a lot of touristing in Seattle before your cruise leaves, this might be a good choice.

We are a party of 5-2 adults, 2 seniors, 1-15 year old. One uses uses a mobility scooter. We are driving to the cruise port in Seattle and need 1: have an inexpensive place to park the car for the duration

2: find a hotel close to Pike Place Market, maybe downtown, for some walking site seeing.

I fear that if we stay at an airport hotel we won't get transportation for the scooter to get downtown, then the cost of transporting all our luggage and us to the port. With needing 2 rooms, I am looking for something as less as possible in price.

Any suggestions?

The young one wants to walk around Seattle, see Pikes Place, Seattle Center, down town. It is a big thing for her-never been to a big city!!!:)

We booked the edgewater for party of 5 ,they have a family suite I got for 233.00 a night instead of having to get two rooms .

Thanks to all of your for your excellent responses. As I posted a few minutes ago (I seem to have lost my original post) I tried a few of the suggested hotels and they are already full, so we will have to go further afield. I will look into transit for the scooter. I don't think it is possible to haul our own luggage as my DH uses large plastic storage boxes instead (yes, the cruise lines allow them) but are too cumbersome for taxis. Thanks for the reminder about the hills in Seattle. I use to live there, for a few months, going to junior high on Queen Anne and forgot how steep they can get. We will just have to plan carefully.

We booked the edgewater for party of 5 ,they have a family suite I got for 233.00 a night instead of having to get two rooms .

You got a good deal! The Edgewater is a fabulous hotel--great location, wonderful views, lots of history. If you have kids in your party, might be a good time to introduce them to the Beatles, if they don't know them already. They stayed there in 1964.

beatles.jpeg

They don't let you fish out of the windows anymore, sadly. Be sure to ask the staff to point you to the elevator route up the bluff--otherwise, it's a long climb to get up to the level of Pike Place Market and other sights.

Edited by Casagordita