Hotel in Miami

Jsme

I am at a loss when it comes to this board and to cruising out of Miami.

I am new to the board and this will be my second cruise out of Miami. The first was 13 years ago and it was a total mess. Hurricane Andrew..do I need to say more.

I need some information about hotels. We will be flying in the day before our cruise and I need to know where to stay. What is the best form of transportation from the hotel? I really do not want to take the RCCL transportation. It is a anal control issue with me.

Please someone help me.

Take taxis from MIA to the hotels, they're the easiest way. I recommend downtown Miami for the night before, taxis from the airport to downtown will cost around $20, then from the downtown hotels to the pier less than $10.

The following are popular mid-priced downtown hotels I would recommend...

JW Marriott (VERY nice, great AAA weekend rates)... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/miajw

Intercontinental (also very nice, next door to Bayside Marketplace)... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/1/en/hd/miaha?irs=null

Hyatt Regency... http://miamiregency.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

Biscayne Bay Marriott... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/miabb

TrentS - and anyone else who can help.

We are flying into FLL on 9/10. Our ship sails out of Miami. I thought it would be a good idea to stay in a hotel in Miami - closer to the port.

There are 5 of us: Me, DH and 3 kids. Trying to figure out best way to get from FLL to Miami hotel and where to stay. For the kids I wanted to be near or on beach and also wanted a hotel with pool. Don't know if it is going to be difficult getting a room for 5 for $100 or less. - not sure if I can do priceline or any other bidding with 5 people - kids are 13 and under.

Also, thought about visiting the Miami Metro Zoo since we will be in Miami all day. Anyone know how far from beach the zoo is or any thoughts?

I would appreciate any help I can get, trying to make this trip smooth and stress free! Thanks a bunch.:rolleyes:

We like the Holiday Inn Port of Miami Hotel. It is reasonably priced and in a great location; right across the street from Bayside Market and a 5 minute taxi ride to the ship.

I agree we have booked this hotel for pre/post cruise and the rates are very reasonable compared to the others hotels listed.. under 120 per night.. over 200 per night I do not find reasonable jmho.. :)

TrentS - and anyone else who can help.

We are flying into FLL on 9/10. Our ship sails out of Miami. I thought it would be a good idea to stay in a hotel in Miami - closer to the port.

There are 5 of us: Me, DH and 3 kids. Trying to figure out best way to get from FLL to Miami hotel and where to stay. For the kids I wanted to be near or on beach and also wanted a hotel with pool. Don't know if it is going to be difficult getting a room for 5 for $100 or less. - not sure if I can do priceline or any other bidding with 5 people - kids are 13 and under.

Also, thought about visiting the Miami Metro Zoo since we will be in Miami all day. Anyone know how far from beach the zoo is or any thoughts?

I would appreciate any help I can get, trying to make this trip smooth and stress free! Thanks a bunch.:rolleyes:

Renting a car is generally the least expensive way to get from FLL to Miami, and would be the only way if you wanted to go to MetroZoo. It's about a 45 minute drive from downtown Miami/South Beach. If you just wanted to go to a hotel in Miami and stay in that area then another option is Tri-County Transportation... http://www.floridalimo.com/

Or Larry's Limo... http://www.larryslimo.com/

Priceline will be your only option for a DECENT hotel at under $100 per night. Good luck!

I am reading mixed reviews all over the net about this hotel. I did however book it for a pre-cruise nite. We are flying in the day before our Dec 24th cruise on the Triumph.

The problem I have is this year we are taking my cousin (who has never cruised) and that makes 5 of us. Many hotels I checked only will allow 4 max. I wanted to be close to the port, and hopefully my 2 girls (11 and 16) can see the ship in the AM. Does anyone know if we will be able to see the ship in the port?

How about breakfast? In this area is there anywhere we can go in the AM for a good breakfast? Even a McDonalds will do :)

What is your take on this? Trents.........I think you sent me the link to the Holiday Inn awhile back but I know you have some that you liked better, its just they wont take 5 of us :(

I already booked this so hopefully I do ok. Does anyone have pictures of this hotel? Thanks a bunch, Stacy in PA

I am reading mixed reviews all over the net about this hotel. I did however book it for a pre-cruise nite. We are flying in the day before our Dec 24th cruise on the Triumph.

The problem I have is this year we are taking my cousin (who has never cruised) and that makes 5 of us. Many hotels I checked only will allow 4 max. I wanted to be close to the port, and hopefully my 2 girls (11 and 16) can see the ship in the AM. Does anyone know if we will be able to see the ship in the port?

How about breakfast? In this area is there anywhere we can go in the AM for a good breakfast? Even a McDonalds will do :)

What is your take on this? Trents.........I think you sent me the link to the Holiday Inn awhile back but I know you have some that you liked better, its just they wont take 5 of us :(

I already booked this so hopefully I do ok. Does anyone have pictures of this hotel? Thanks a bunch, Stacy in PA

Take the reviews with a grain of salt as I read many different reviews regarding the ship I am sailing but it is up to the person travelling or staying there to decide for themselves.. if you are looking for top notch pampered I will even tell you .. you will not get it at any HI you will get clean and a standard hotel room.. as for seeing the ships in port you will have to ask for a bayside view room.. hope you enjoy your stay.. and happy cruising!!:)

Check out this website, it list all hotels close to a Cruise Port...

http://www.cruiseporthotels.com/

The Holiday Inn is the one many people talk about on here, very close to the Terminal:

I booked the Holiday Inn for March 2006, will have a review on this hotel after.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/hd/MIABB

Holiday Inn

340 BISCAYNE BLVD

MIAMI, FL 33132

UNITED STATES

LOCAL PHONE: 1-305-371-4400

stacyinpa - True, there are others I like better. It's been a while since I've been in it, but I'm sure that Holiday Inn is perfectly fine for a night. Reviews on it are mixed, but that's pretty normal for that type of hotel, some people expect a Ritz-Carlton at a Holiday Inn price so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It has many many fans on here who love it!

If you want to see the ships in the morning you can IF you're in a high floor bayside room. The only picture I know of online is the small one on their website... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/hd/MIABB

As far as breakfast goes, there's a restaurant in the hotel, and it seems to me there are also some across the street in Bayside Marketplace that are open for breakfast. I'm not sure which ones though, I've never been in there in the morning.

TrentS:

I've been reading everything I can about hotels in Miami on these boards and other websites. Since you live there and seem to know about most of the hotels there would you please give your thoughts about the following 3 hotels.

Clarion Hotel and Suites Downtown

Raddison Downtown

Courtyard by Marriott Downtown

We are going to need 4 room with 2 beds each for our family cruise. We would like to keep the hotel under $100 each if possible. It doesn't have to be a 5 star hotel, but I just don't want a dump or a really bad neighborhood. Last year when we went on a cruise with just 2 granddaughters, husband and I, we stayed at the Days Inn Civic Center. The website made it look real nice, but when we got there it was anything but nice.

Thanks for the help!!!

Check out this website, it list all hotels close to a Cruise Port...

http://www.cruiseporthotels.com/

The Holiday Inn is the one many people talk about on here, very close to the Terminal:

I booked the Holiday Inn for March 2006, will have a review on this hotel after.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/hd/MIABB

Holiday Inn

340 BISCAYNE BLVD

MIAMI, FL 33132

UNITED STATES

LOCAL PHONE: 1-305-371-4400

Thanks for the links

TrentS:

I've been reading everything I can about hotels in Miami on these boards and other websites. Since you live there and seem to know about most of the hotels there would you please give your thoughts about the following 3 hotels.

Clarion Hotel and Suites Downtown

Raddison Downtown

Courtyard by Marriott Downtown

We are going to need 4 room with 2 beds each for our family cruise. We would like to keep the hotel under $100 each if possible. It doesn't have to be a 5 star hotel, but I just don't want a dump or a really bad neighborhood. Last year when we went on a cruise with just 2 granddaughters, husband and I, we stayed at the Days Inn Civic Center. The website made it look real nice, but when we got there it was anything but nice.

Thanks for the help!!!

Yeah, I'd stay away from that Days Inn. :eek:

Of the 3 hotels you listed I'd go with the downtown Marriott Courtyard... http://www.miamicourtyard.com/

The Clarion is tucked away behind the Hyatt's convention center, between the Miami river (not nice) and a freeway overpass. It's not a safe location and is desperately in need of a remodel.

The Radisson is on top of a long closed shopping mall and also not in a very safe area.

The Marriott Courtyard is just north of the Hyatt. It was completely remodeled and converted into a Courtyard a couple of years ago, and is the closest of the three to the port and Bayside. It's by far the nicest of the three, and it's in the safest location of the three.

Thanks Trent, I appreciate the help. Now that I know a little more about them and the locations I will most likely book the Courtyard Marriott.

Is this hotel within walking distance and safe enough to walk to Bayside Marketplace? Our plane gets into FLL at 3:15 and I know everyone will be starving. I figured we could go there to get something to eat and look around.

Also do you have any suggestions on how to get from FLL to Miami and then back from the Port of Miami to FLL. I think I booked our plane home with plenty of time to spare. We have a 3:45pm flight out of FLL. Our main problem is there is so many of us, 16 people. I think probably renting a limo is going to be our best option. So far the best price I've got is about $175 each way from JMS Limo and Transportation. Do you know anything about them as far as their reliability?

Thanks for any help and sorry for so many questions. I'm trying my best to get this trip arranged for all of us.

Courtyard is close enough to walk to Bayside, or take the MetroMover (downtown elevated train). Stay in a group at night though just to be safe, don't let anyone go off alone.

Sorry, I've never used that limo company and don't know anything about them.

We always use either Tri-County Transportation or Larry's Limo. Both of those I know to be good, reputable, reliable local companies. Yeah, I think with a group that size a large limo or a small bus is going to be your best bet! ;)

Tri-County... http://www.floridalimo.com/

Larry's Limo... http://larryslimo.com/

Another option you may consider for your return transportation to FLL would be an Everglades excursion you can get on the ship. They're designed for people with later flights like yours, and they have them that will drop you and your luggage off at either airport after the tour.

Trent, Thanks again for all the info. I'll check out the transportation places you mentioned. We may even have to consider the Everglades excursion, sounds interesting and free transportation back to the airport.

Thanks so much.

Stacy, we've stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami at least 5-6 times (and will be again with our party of 9 in May). I would highly recommend it, especially if you have a party of 5. The hotel was renovated about two years ago and is fine for one or two nights precruise. It's not a resort hotel with lush grounds, but it certainly isn't the Motel 8. There is a small restaurant and bar in the hotel, as well as a very small sundry shop. There are many restaurants across the street at Bayside Market (great to go for dinner, but I'm not sure what's open for breakfast). There is actually a McDonald's right behind the Holiday Inn. As you walk out the front door, turn left and at the corner make another left. It's right around the corner.

If you request a bayside room on a high floor, you will be able to see your ship in the a.m. It's so exciting and I think it's a good hotel choice.

TrentS (or anyone else knowledgable about the Miami area):

Our cruise is still over a year away so we have plenty of time to plan. But I'm trying to get an idea early on about what my plans will be. I have never been to the Miami area (I've only cruised out of Port Canaveral before on two of our prior cruises.) I've noticed that some people have said it ends up being cheaper to fly into Fort Lauderdale and then drive or be transported down to Miami. If we do end up flying into FLL, do you think it is preferable to stay the night there too and head to the port in the morning or to drive down when we arrive & stay the night in Miami? Other than the cheaper flight, is there any advantage (pricewise with hotels or better area or something like that) to flying into FLL & staying the night there? Any help you could give me with this would greatly be appreciated!

Yeah, in many cases it's cheaper to fly into FLL as it's served by so many discount airlines and MIA is dominated by AA. You just have to shop around and see if it is in your case. It doesn't really matter where you stay, generally I would say if you get into FLL earlier in the day you may as well just go to a downtown Miami hotel. If you get in later, then you may as well stay in Fort Lauderdale and go down the next morning. It's only about a 30 minute drive under "normal" circumstances.

Generally speaking, FLL is less expensive to fly into than Miami. However, I just got airfare for next May (Memorial Day weekend) from Philadelphia to Miami for $158 RT pp. I grabbed it. The flights to FLL were higher. If I were flying into FLL, I'd probably still spend the overnight in Miami. One time we did stay in Ft. Lauderdale and went to Miami in the a.m., but the traffic was pretty bad. I'd rather sleep later in the a.m. and just spend the 5 minutes it takes to get from the Holiday Inn Port of Miami to the ship.

Can you tell me anything about the South Beach hotels in Miami? In particular, the Whitelaw Hotel? I have a booking for it for Sept 10 but would like to know if i should possibly change to another hotel or another area of miami before our cruise on the 11th. any help would be appreciated.

Archived