If I'm at the port 1 hour before departure time, could I get left behind?

buffkids

I called NCL and specifically asked the question: If I arrive at the pier to catch a tender back to ship exactly one hour before the scheduled departure time, is there any chance I will be left behind if there is a long line to get on a tender? They told me that they will check the manifesto and won't leave anyone behind, but I don't think that's right. So, my quesiton for experienced cruisers is, how many hours before departure time must I be back at the pier, ready to get on a tender back to the ship? There will be 4 ships in port that day. I have two choices for a return from Caye Caulker. One will get me to port by about 3, for a 5 (Belize time) scheduled departure; one will get me to port at 4 for the 5 departure. I think the answer is probably that I need to be there at 3, but I don't know how tendering works, so thought maybe that if you were at the tender port on time, you were considered "on board" on time. Sorry for the dumb question.

If the last tender for your ship is still at the tender pier and still loading passengers and there is still a line, you will not be left behind. If that tender is full and departs with people still in line, another tender will be sent. There should still be ships crew on the tender pier who only depart when either the last tender departs and no other passengers are waiting or if still waiting for a belated ship sponsored excursion to return.

My suggestion though is to be sure you are through the Tourism Village gates and heading to the dock at least 5 minutes before the scheduled last tender time. That time will be noted in your daily cruise ship news letter, announced over the ship intercoms, and stated on a sign at the pier when you first get off from the ship. It may be a late as 1/2 hour before the itinerary listed departure time. Changes will depend on arrival time and how far out the ship is anchored. But do get there are quickly as you can.

Ok - Thank you Crewsweeper! I didn't realize that the tender times could vary from one sailing to the next - that makes sense now given the changes in number of passengers, number of ships in port, etc. We will play it safe and plan to be there earlier. I appreciate your help understanding how tendering will work!