Hemodialysis on a cruise - help

Isa65

I have a client who really wants to join his family on an upcoming cruise, but he needs to undergo hemodialysis 3 x a week.

Carnival Cruise Lines already informed me that they are not equipped to assist him and that we need to make an appointment for the treatment at the several ports of call.

Does anyone have (contact) information on clinics we can make an appointment at in Ocho Rios, Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Thanks in advance!

They could check Dialysis at sea program only available on specific sailings & cruise lines for future trips

if they miss the port for any reason it could be a problem for them

Grand cayman can often be missed

Edited by LHT28

Unfortunaly Dialysis At Sea does not cover Carnival in their program :-(

That is why I said for future trips

Our friend used them for a RCL & Celebrity cruise which worked out fine for them

Am not on Dialysis but just want to bring to OP's attention that if any of the ports require tendering than there's always a chance that weather/conditions could prohibit anyone from going ashore . It's best for that the itinerary has no tendered ports. The distance and time required to get to/from the dialysis relative to the time is actually in port may also prohibit dialysis being done on shore.

The individual should be able to coordinate this with someone from his/he doctors office. There's a Global Dialysis website ( which I cannot vouch for nor have ever had a need to use ) that might be something to check out http://www.globaldialysis.com/search-for-dialysis-centres.html. Someone from the persons doctor office may be familiar with this website.

My DH is on Hemo Dialysis and we have taken several cruises. We simply bring our own machine. Nxstage delivers the supplies to the ship if we are departing from a port in the USA. When we depart from a port in Europe, they are provided by Nxstage affiliates. Just tell your doctor you want to learn how to do home hemo. Another positive is that you dialyze at night, while you sleep, so you don't miss any excursions.

Hope this is a possibility for you.

Yoletta

• 1 year later...
I think it was 2 or 3 weeks, I don't remember

My husband just transitioned to home haemo with a NxStage just over a month ago. It took us 2 weeks and 2 days to learn. Go for it! Not only is it wonderfully freeing compared to having to go to a hospital 3X/week, but he feels sooo much better doing more frequent and gentler dialysis. It has changed his life. We had to stop travelling 2 years ago, but now are beginning to think about travel and especially cruising again.